Flying into Vegas and renting a 'Wing - suggest things to see/do? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flying into Vegas and renting a 'Wing - suggest things to see/do?

If I was doing the SW for the first time on a large touring bike, and the Queen Mary was on my list, I'd probably fly into LA. The coast is comfortable to ride almost any time of the year. LA is huge, you have to use highways and they flow similar to the 401 through Toronto -- if you're uncomfortable going thru TO at 5 PM on a Friday afternoon, LA will be intimidating. If you're wife can ride, you may also find it easier to split up for a day and take 2 for a canyon carve day.

Day 1. LA to San Diego Long beach, an hour for so ride from LAX airport, stay at the Queen Mary if it's open.

Day 2: Long Beach to San Diego. You can also slip across to Tijuana for a Cervaza and some authentic Mexican food. Riding or walking across are both options (providing your rental agreement doesn't exclude MX). If you ride, continue down the baja to Encinitas -- the beachside bistro's have fantastic food and it's about very inexpensive. Head back across the border, stay in Oceanside.

Day 3. Get a little desert experience by winding out to Palm Springs on I8, then north to the Palm desert 111. Stay in Palm Springs or Cochella if you want some desert experience or a great golf day.

Day 4. Take 74 to Redlands, then 38 to Big Bear. Stay there or soldier on to Arrowhead. If you like solitude, there are a couple of paved canyon and US forest service roads that connect the high desert to Big Bear. Caution - the mountain riding in that area is absolutely exhausting -- you're on the sidewalls most of the time.

Day 5: LA or Santa Barbara?
The ride west through Arrowhead, then on to Flintridge or Asuza through the Angeles National Forest back to the top of LA is awesome. Stay in Hollywood or Beverly Hills, check out Rodeo Drive and the Sunset strip in Hollywood.

Santa Barbara: Or head north on 5, then across 126 for a leisurely ride west back to the coast through the eclectic artisan community in Ojai (my preference), then on to Santa Barbara - one of the prettiest missions towns in So Cal. The adjacent town of Montecito is California's Riviera, a great overnight stop and outstanding dining. If you like whale watching or fishing, both are available out of Santa Barbara and Ventura harbors. Feb 15-apr 15 for grays, June-Aug for humpbacks. Both harbors have shacks and restaurants that serve off-the-boat seafood.

From there I'd follow the PCH south to Malibu then try any (or all) of the dozen canyon roads that connect the beach to Thousand Oaks (be prepared to drag hard parts).

You're now close to the north side of LA -- Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, Hollywood are short jaunts with lots to do and see. to round out days 6 &7.

You have to think about distance and riding needs. If you want to be on-slab, and mostly desert the Grand Canyon and Pacific coast are doable in the same week. If you want the scenery and challenge of the mountains and canyons, probably not.

Back
Top Bottom