First and last time I'll ever let someone else change my oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

First and last time I'll ever let someone else change my oil

Venom01

No need for an oil filter to look like this once it's finally removed. Strap wench couldn't get a hold of it, filter wrench started to collapse the sides and slip. I had to take my 3" lock pliers to get it off and it still was a *****. Whoever the hell put this thing on needs a slap to the back of the head

8c8f889865578cea305857341717d253.jpg

I've had to put a screwdriver through one before and even that seemed like it wasn't going to work as the whole thing just started tearing. That was on a Saab, though.

I'm guessing you warmed the engine to change the oil. I have never changed oil on a cold engine. I wonder if it would be easier to loosen the filter on a cold engine? Seems like it should.

I'm guessing you warmed the engine to change the oil. I have never changed oil on a cold engine. I wonder if it would be easier to loosen the filter on a cold engine? Seems like it should.
Good assessment but no, I warmed up the bike. I've been changing oil for a long time. I know that sometimes it can be a little tough to take off but I've never had to go this far.

Used to happen to me all the time before i started doing my own oil change. Last time it ripped one of those plastic filter wrenches that wrap around. Brand new wrench tore in half but the filter didnt budge!

Good assessment but no, I warmed up the bike. I've been changing oil for a long time. I know that sometimes it can be a little tough to take off but I've never had to go this far.

?? Yes I know you warmed the engine, as that's the correct way to change oil. I'm saying maybe a cold engine would allow easier filter loosening.

?? Yes I know you warmed the engine, as that's the correct way to change oil. I'm saying maybe a cold engine would allow easier filter loosening.
Excuse me. I guess I should have done a better job reading. At least I know I'm better at putting on oil filters though

It can happen if the gasket seat on the motor is clean and they put on the new filter without a film of oil on the new filter neoprene gasket. The gasket cements onto the alloy.

It can happen if the gasket seat on the motor is clean and they put on the new filter without a film of oil on the new filter neoprene gasket. The gasket cements onto the alloy.
Could be. I have always got into the habit of letting the oil really sink in for 30 mins or so in the gasket before installing. I really soak it too.

Anyway I've put a good ol k&n 204 high flow. I love those filters because they have a 17 mm socket fitting on the top for super easy removal.

Last edited:
Could be. I have always got into the habit of letting the oil really sink in for 30 mins or so in the gasket before installing. I really soak it too.

Anyway I've put a good ol k&n 204 high flow. I love those filters because they have a 17 mm socket fitting on the top for super easy removal.

I don't understand why this is not a standard. I know they do oil filter socket, but it is not the same.

Applying some oil to the filter prior to installing will usually allow it to be removed much easier. Put it on dry, and you have greater odds of the rubber sticking to the block.

I think everyone "hand-tightens" oil filters, but that's an ineffective way to describe it. I've hand-tightened filters that needed a cap-wrench to remove and it crimped the filter, requiring me to dig it out of the cap-wrench. Some filters have a rough coating which allows you to twist harder too. Even service manuals are slightly vague, tighten until resistance is felt, then turn another 1/2 turn or whatever.

I bought a Channel-Lock oil filter pliers as the oil suitable means of getting off the oil filter. I did the last oil-change, and I hand-tightened it. Service manuals are not vague - they provide a torque specification - which can be ignored - just hand-tighten.

Buy a K&N filter to avoid the problem, but I must say I really like my Channel-Lock pliers though to get off the filter otherwise.

I've had this happen as well, no big deal.

K+N filters are awesome for removing and lock wiring until the o-ring blows out and fills your bellypan with oil. In oem I trust, the extra $2 I will pay.

i just give it a smear, hand tighten , and always change oil cold. Never had a problem.

likewise, the Nm torque setting is "hand tighten" then a bit on the spanner for me ;-) I guess I'll find out when I put the bike away in a few months how tight it will be,,

Usually use stock Suzuki filters; someone put a K&N one on for me last year. I stripped the bolt cause it was on too tight and had to hammer a screw driver through it multiple times to turn it.

Torque specs are generally low for an oil filter. I've never had a filter slip off.

Back
Top Bottom