Failing to stop | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Failing to stop

And vice versa, some stories about cops are disturbing, hence a lot of people choose to run.
I don't advocate it personally but I am hardly surprised at such choice.

On a ride last year, one gentleman attending was nice enough to stop for the radar on the side of the road. As his reward, he got a nice big ticket. Guess what the people who blew by got. There is no guarantee that just because you're polite you'll get off. The enforcement of the law is hugely subjective.

The enforcement of the law is hugely subjective.

Yeah. From the stories being presented here, that's what I see as a common problem. I have been pulled over before (in a group) and was just given a warning. The cop told me they were looking for some people and we were not them.. So.. we rode off.. I was TOTALLY waiting for a ticket.. it was in a ride with people from this site too..

I don't know why these things don't seem to happen to me. Or others that I know have not been complaining about it happening. I really only heard of it once I came back to the site after not checking in for a while. I just hope this next riding season is fun, I recall reading about many rider fatalities last year. It makes me sick when I hear about a rider going down.

Yep got a ticket in NS once cause I pulled up with some guys I was riding with. On tour and had just met them and ridden with them for a day or so. Had I just gone by and caught up with them further down the road I would have not gotten anything. Rule now is, if not specifically pulled over, I'm not stopping. Catch up with buddies down the road.

I was going to post this on one of the other threads, but I thought it would be better if it had it's own.

From what I've seen, if a motorcyclist wants to run from the police, they will, and they will get away. They are faster than anything the police have, except for a radio, but we don't always have another car waiting ahead. If a rider is 100% committed to running, they are gone.

Last year I tried to stop a young man on an R6 who was cornered on a dead end road. We squared off and he rode right past me to get back to the highway, where he promptly took off at high speed. I didn't follow. Since I had some other investigative leads, I was able to show up at his house and the matter ended in criminal charges. One month later, he was followed by a police helicopter doing the same thing, and was arrested again, this time held for bail. He wasn't a bad kid but definitely made some bad choices. I would tend to think that most officers see someone that runs as someone who has a real reason to run, ie. stolen bike, wanted person, etc. The real danger that I'm seeing is that motorcyclists are running for much smaller reasons, and are either risking their own safety or other people's, in their escape.

Can we blame 172 for all of this? Would those that chose to run for a 172 charge run for a plate infraction? Would you run because your insurance slip was out of date? Where is the line in the sand that makes you decide not to stop for police?
I know I personally have never run because of HTA 172. My issues have always been a bit more basic and my own stupidity, like no damn insurance, not registered plate/ bike. Everytime I ran I did get away no problem, however they did get my plate once and show up at my parents. Suffice to say I got a very angry, threatening call from them and local PD. I actually parked the bike for a week and stopped riding, but I never heard anything about it again, and didn't have any more issues since. SS dummy life I guess. I suppose I would've run to avoid a HTA 172 charge as well if that's what I was on the line for. I have stopped a few times as well though- only because I knew that running could and would only make things worse- and more importantly because I knew I had no where to go, and couldnt move quickly safely- for the public or myself.

The link for the story Rob was looking for was when someone posted that there was an officer doing the same thing along the 400. Port Credit is a LONG way from the 400. The story you posted the link for has been discussed many many times here, there is a thread about 20 pages long in the law sub forum. So unfortunately the link you posted doesn't address the question Rob was looking for. I agree with Rob I have never heard of any story involving kickbacks along the 400

This summer I was stopped on hwy 7 and Kennedy by two cops who said I made a lot of noise and was going very fast. I asked them how fast, I don't look down my speedo and follow the flow of traffic for safety reasons. They told me "if we had our radar you'd get a big ticket", then proceeded to lecture me about how I'm a danger to the public. After checking my papers, they let me go.

They proceeded to follow me around after until I pulled into a parking lot to meet with a friend. What the **** were they doing is beyond me. I'd also like to know who shoved a stick up their *** that morning. Those of you who have ridden with me know I lean off turns even at intersections; I'm waiting for the day some idiot tries to slap a 172 charge on me for having half an *** on the seat and I have to explain physics, center of gravity, and other crap in court.

Why the hell would anyone stop to just get harassed like that?

油井緋色;2262051 said:
This summer I was stopped on hwy 7 and Kennedy by two cops who said I made a lot of noise and was going very fast. I asked them how fast, I don't look down my speedo and follow the flow of traffic for safety reasons. They told me "if we had our radar you'd get a big ticket", then proceeded to lecture me about how I'm a danger to the public. After checking my papers, they let me go.

They proceeded to follow me around after until I pulled into a parking lot to meet with a friend. What the **** were they doing is beyond me. I'd also like to know who shoved a stick up their *** that morning. Those of you who have ridden with me know I lean off turns even at intersections; I'm waiting for the day some idiot tries to slap a 172 charge on me for having half an *** on the seat and I have to explain physics, center of gravity, and other crap in court.

Why the hell would anyone stop to just get harassed like that?

Sounds like you just got two having a bad day or they had nothing better to do. Please explain to those of less educated that why you need to slide half off the seat on a "normal turn at an intersection" You hint it is due to physics etc. Why is it so many other riders don't seem to have an issue making those turns without the need to do this? I get you feel it makes you look bad *** and a "real rider" but you must also realize that if not required then it is likely to "draw the attention of the police" Almost like someone who puts on a fender eliminator and mounts the plate in an incorrect manner then complains about getting stopped for it. Just gives the copper a reason.

Not criticizing your riding style it is what you prefer and that is cool. Nor am I defending the coppers in this instance.

Why is it so many other riders don't seem to have an issue making those turns without the need to do this?

I never used to lean off the bike until after I took total control and racer 5.

Motorcycles are more stable when up right. By leaning off the bike, you shift the center of gravity and are able to complete a turn without leaning the bike itself, thus increasing stability. It also leaves more lean angle in case you actually need to turn more during an emergency (unseen pot hole, raccoon, etc.). By practicing this on a regular basis, coupled with Lee Park's 10 steps to cornering, you can hammer it into your head instead of actively having to think about it; the result is a faster, safer, and more confident rider.

Contradicting this is the crossed up technique used by dirt riders, I will eventually take some lessons in that regard to learn it but I've seen a red group rider use it; his tires screeched every corner and he was ridiculously fast.

P.S. If anyone questions the stability of a bike leaned versus going straight: try this in full gear. Slam the brake when the bike is up right at a decent speed. Do the same when leaned over. I will not be held responsible if you flip your bike =P

Last edited:
Sounds like you just got two having a bad day or they had nothing better to do. Please explain to those of less educated that why you need to slide half off the seat on a "normal turn at an intersection" You hint it is due to physics etc. Why is it so many other riders don't seem to have an issue making those turns without the need to do this? I get you feel it makes you look bad *** and a "real rider" but you must also realize that if not required then it is likely to "draw the attention of the police" Almost like someone who puts on a fender eliminator and mounts the plate in an incorrect manner then complains about getting stopped for it. Just gives the copper a reason.

Not criticizing your riding style it is what you prefer and that is cool. Nor am I defending the coppers in this instance.

After 8 track schools, two advanced rider courses, and who knows how many track days I find it virtually impossible to round a corner, without getting at least partially off the seat. It becomes habit and it's generally a good one as the more upright the bike, the greater the potential contact patch between the tire and the road surface. That's why the language of O.REG. 455/07 bothered me so much, when I first read it, and made me post about it here; "Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver's seat."

After 8 track schools, two advanced rider courses, and who knows how many track days I find it virtually impossible to round a corner, without getting at least partially off the seat. It becomes habit and it's generally a good one as the more upright the bike, the greater the potential contact patch between the tire and the road surface. That's why the language of O.REG. 455/07 bothered me so much, when I first read it, and made me post about it here; "Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver's seat."

I wonder what types of motorcycle groups, if any, were involved in giving input for those regulations.

I wonder what types of motorcycle groups, if any, were involved in giving input for those regulations.

Probably none. Rob's mentioning of the law from a while back was what got me paranoid; why should we get punished for riding more stable?

I got pulled over back in 2009 and was told I was clocked at 52 over. I know I wasn't and managed to argue that it was impossible as my GPS maximum was nowhere near 50 over and showed that at some point I'd done 15 over (though not at the time of the pull over). The officer gave me a 15 over ticket though he had no proof. It was at that point I seriously considered risking my life in the future by running.

油井緋色;2262090 said:
Probably none. Rob's mentioning of the law from a while back was what got me paranoid; why should we get punished for riding more stable?

Exactly; none. Later on someone (Marcos, I think) posted a scan of a letter he received from MTO, stating that wasn't the intent of the law and that it was supposed to address "ghost riding" of cars. Of course MTO has no part in enforcement, nor prosecution of such charges.

Last edited:
a reason to run could be simply that he can't afford any more tickets. one ticket even if minor could mean insurance price raise in thousands of dollars! who can afford that? i say run if u can and if you're good at riding.

as long as you have half a brain and you're not putting anyone else in major danger, i think it's stupid to get ticketed for... this country is RETARDED with laws. u get 3 minor ticket and some companies don't wanna insure u at all! or if they do u have to pay up your arm and a leg. it's absolutely non-sense. ridiculous! in fact i think insurance should be a personal choice. even liability! why does one have to pay 5 thousand dollars a year for something that he will never ever use? personally, if i wreck my bike (never did) but if i did, or wrecked someone else's i'll try my best not to call the insurance company and deal with it myself. cause it's simply retarded. you know why it's retarded? cause i will pay less money over time paying to fix the bike than using my insurance.... i know i will never ever kill someone cause i'm careful. life is all about choices. it's the government that brainwashes people into believing that they need insurance and it's a MUST!

i hate laws. and this is not coming from an ignorant ******* who hates cops. i have very good reasons to hate the police. but that's another discussion on its own. stay safe!

Last edited:
a reason to run could be simply that he can't afford any more tickets. one ticket even if minor could mean insurance price raise in thousands of dollars! who can afford that? i say run if u can and if you're good at riding.

as long as you have half a brain and you're not putting anyone else in major danger, i think it's stupid to get ticketed for... this country is RETARDED with laws. u get 3 minor ticket and some companies don't wanna insure u at all! or if they do u have to pay up your arm and a leg. it's absolutely non-sense. ridiculous! in fact i think insurance should be a personal choice. even liability! why does one have to pay 5 thousand dollars a year for something that he will never ever use? personally, if i wreck my bike (never did) but if i did, or wrecked someone else's i'll try my best not to call the insurance company and deal with it myself. cause it's simply retarded. you know why it's retarded? cause i will pay less money over time paying to fix the bike than using my insurance.... i know i will never ever kill someone cause i'm careful. life is all about choices. it's the government that brainwashes people into believing that they need insurance and it's a MUST!

i hate laws. and this is not coming from an ignorant ******* who hates cops. i have very good reasons to hate the police. but that's another discussion on its own. stay safe!

Lmao. There's so much fail here it's ridiculous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao. There's so much fail here it's ridiculous...

i don't give a **** about what u or anyone else thinks. i will live my life the way i should/.... in fact that's why i should not have even posted anything on a forum! lol

i don't give a **** about what u or anyone else thinks. i will live my life the way i should/.... in fact that's why i should not have even posted anything on a forum! lol

That's obvious, anyone who believes liability insurance is unnecessary on public roads doesn't give a **** about other people...

Couple of years ago there were a bunch of clips of misguided souls ghost driving cars/trucks by ghost driving I mean hopping out of the drivers seat while rolling and filming what happens
IMHO that should earn a hefty penalty js

Back
Top Bottom