Eyeglass lenses | GTAMotorcycle.com

Eyeglass lenses

N3WMAN

In the market for a new set of specs. I have been to a couple different places and quotes a couple different lenses. I am fairly set on the frames I want and 3/4 places have the same frame within +/- $30 so I am not too worried about the frame price.

I am wondering about the lenses though. The first place I went is an independent shop. I got them to do the exam because they got very good reviews and weren't much more than the chain stores.

They quoted me on a couple frames I liked and the lens was a 1.6 NL3(Nikon?) Aspheric lens.

I went to PearleVision and they quoted me on their PearleThin HD. They don't give a lot of info and I can't find much on what that actually entails.

Hakim also quoted me on an Aspheric 1.6 Extreme Wide Field.

Lenscrafters quoted me a couple different ones including Aspheric with or without anti-glare.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what actual lenses the different stores are using and what to go for. I see a lot of companies using the High definition term but not really explaining it. The research I've done suggests the aspheric gives you a thinner more optically correct lens.

My prescription is a mild astigmatism if that helps any.

Cheapest place for glasses amd frames i found was eyewear emporium. I think it may be worth it to give them a call

Interested in providers too. Thinking of switching from the private optical business I've gone to for a few decades.

My last two pair were Oakley lens and before that Nikon, I wear progressive bifocal so they aren't cheap, I get the antiglare and scratch resist and that's it. I will never buy auto tint again, they are dark when they should be light and light when they should darken and I had the lastest model, I hated em. I will spend for prescript sunglasses.
I don't know if there are that many lens providers out they or if they all source from an offshore grinder. I believe many of the chains are connected so pearle vision and lenscrafter may be the same place. I have been happy with both rayban and Oakley in eyglasses

how do you get the frames fitted at http://www.clearlycontacts.ca ? Or do you have to go to a retailer and find the frames that you like then order...like helmets?

+1 on the auto tinting....tried it ages ago and it didn't work for driving/riding. I just use separate sunglasses. Plus you have a pair in case the clears break..."sunglasses at night"

Last edited:
What's Costco like?

You old bastards.

Wait, I'm in the same club and wishing my squinting ability was better - gotta accept the years and get my eyes sorted. All distance is fine - it's the damn fine print / cooking instructions that keep doing me in.

I don't know if there are that many lens providers out they or if they all source from an offshore grinder. I believe many of the chains are connected so pearle vision and lenscrafter may be the same place. I have been happy with both rayban and Oakley in eyglasses

Pearl, Lenscrafters, Oakley, and Ray Ban (along with Sunglass Hut, Gucci, and a host of others) are all owned by the same company (Luxotica). You don't have the choice you're led to believe you have.

how do you get the frames fitted at http://www.clearlycontacts.ca ? Or do you have to go to a retailer and find the frames that you like then order...like helmets?

+1 on the auto tinting....tried it ages ago and it didn't work for driving/riding. I just use separate sunglasses. Plus you have a pair in case the clears break..."sunglasses at night"

Fitment will ill always be an issue with online purchasing. I just measure existing glasses and compare them with the fitment guide (frame dimensions are listed).

Im on my 4th pair from clearlycontacts and love em. Last pair didn't fit right so I sent the. Back for a full refund and got another pair.

also got my prescription safety glasses for work and prescription goggles for swimming there.

It's the fine adjustments for each ear curve, etc. that's the issue. The frame size wouldn't be a biggie as you would compare to your current ones I guess. I always have to tweak a new pair to fit just right.

I am not looking for the cheapest price, merely the highest quality lens. It's something I am going to be looking through 16+ hrs a day and I'll spend the extra if it's worth it.

I am aware Lenscrafters and Pearle are under the same umbrella.

Pearle has the best deal imo because it's 2 for 1. Their single glasses price is higher but you are getting 2 pair for the price. I an inclined to go that way because they show the digital HD lenses. Just curious if it is an actual digital free-form lens or not and who it's made by. The lenses can be made by Nikon, Hoya, Zeiss, etc. but nobody tells you that.

Just curious...will contacts not work for you? Ever since I tried them I find them much better than my glasses. Way easier with riding. The only bugger is remembering to take them out at night. Not pleasant to wake up with them still in.

Depending on your exact prescription, a 1.6 single vision lens with all the coatings (anti-glare, scratch resistant, easy to clean and some UV protection) starts from about $200.

In terms of what makes a good lens, all lens companies are good and you really won't be making a bad choice if you choose one company over another, it really will come down to the price that the practice or multiple like Lenscrafters will charge you.

An HD lens either means a "digital" or "free-form" lens, in simple terms meaning that your prescription is spread out across the whole lens giving you a wider field of you. This lens also takes into consideration the dimensions of your frame and how it is sitting on your face, all contributing to sharper and wider vision. This also plays into minimizing the aberrations or distortions that you may see on the side of the lens if your prescription is high (also known as an Aspheric lens, you mentioned above). So, an aspheric lens will help with distortions and make the lens thinner. But what actually plays a bigger impact on the lens thickness is the lens index (ie. 1.6 like you suggested).

I would recommend choosing an independent practice over a multiple because for the same quality of lens they will charge you much less.

Depending on your prescription, you would only need an Aspheric lens if you are about + or - 4.50 sphere or more.

Gf is an optometrist. Ask if you have more questions.

Check Pacific Mall

Check Pacific Mall
6941145595_ac49953ff2_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom