Dude, Wheres My Car! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dude, Wheres My Car!

If the car had to be taken home so that the nav system could be checked out, in real world conditions, then they wouldn't have had to 'call around' to find out which mechanic had it. It would have been the guy on the work order.

Add to the fact that when the customer asked for the car they just told the customer "to go home".
Very unprofessional. A+ customer service

Not a missing car, but....
Years ago I brought my wife's Mazda Protege in for an oil change and new battery (I think, or brakes). For some reason (part didn't come in maybe) they had to keep the car overnight.
Next day picked it up and took it home. Wife looks at her deep green car (which I, along with others, thought was blue) and says why is there rust on the front of my hood. And why does it look blue?
Called the mechanic, they denied any wrongdoing and coincidentally, the guy who worked on it was fired. I'll admit the hood colour looked off, but I wasn't convinced. Until I opened the hood and saw fingerprints on the underside closest to the glass. They could only be there, imo, if the hood was off, like it was being carried to replace.
The thing is, if you effed up and replaced the hood, and matched the colour, and told me, I would have been ok. But this type of sneaky behaviour made me switch mechanics.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

If the car had to be taken home so that the nav system could be checked out, in real world conditions, then they wouldn't have had to 'call around' to find out which mechanic had it. It would have been the guy on the work order.

Agreed. And when the customer asks the first time, you tell him that. And not "it's fine, go home".
People make me sick.

Add to the fact that when the customer asked for the car they just told the customer "to go home".
Very unprofessional. A+ customer service

Yup, right up there with the mechanic who , back in the '90s, remarked upon how easy my bike was to wheelie after he had worked on it.

Does this crap really surprise anyone? My cousin stopped driving Corvettes because everyone was a mechanic and an oil change meant a 50 mile test drive.

Do you think a mechanic is going to walk home if there's an available set of wheels in the shop?

Does this crap really surprise anyone? My cousin stopped driving Corvettes because everyone was a mechanic and an oil change meant a 50 mile test drive.

Do you think a mechanic is going to walk home if there's an available set of wheels in the shop?

I expect that a mechanic will drive his own damn car home.

What are the ramifications if said mechanic gets into an accident? Who's liable?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

What are the ramifications if said mechanic gets into an accident? Who's liable?

If the paperwork is in order the shop would cover any Insurance for him driving a customer vehicle. At least that's how it was when I was working at dealers. I used to have to take cars home all the time both customer and or new/used company cars.

If the paperwork is in order the shop would cover any Insurance for him driving a customer vehicle. At least that's how it was when I was working at dealers. I used to have to take cars home all the time both customer and or new/used company cars.

Why would you have to take these cars home?

Intermittent problems. Some things don't happen consistently so they require more than a 5 minute test drive. However when that would happen the customer was informed of how the diagnosis would go and asked if they would like to have us do it. It was never assumed and you just took a car home for the hell of it

A friend that owns a used-car dealership (and repair shop) said that from the time a vehicle was dropped on his lot until the time the customer picked it up, it was covered by his shop policy.

Now in the case of this sketchy guy, what are the odds that he even has insurance?

A friend that owns a used-car dealership (and repair shop) said that from the time a vehicle was dropped on his lot until the time the customer picked it up, it was covered by his shop policy.

Now in the case of this sketchy guy, what are the odds that he even has insurance?

I would think that an insurance company would be hesitant to pay the claim if something wasn't right...?
Pretty hard to justify a "test drive" kms away from the shop in a car that's only in for detailing.

This is quite common in the car service business, being it a licensed dealership or a detailing shop. Many cases simply go unreported. Feeling sorry for the owners. Hopefully they benefit from taking the matter into a small claims court.

To weigh in as a Technician;

There are many occasions when an inconstant problem is best solved by using the car as the owner would. This means driving it more then a few km's, sometimes even taking it home. Of course, in the situation of taking the car home, this is done with the owners consent, and our insurance will completely cover that. However if it takes 50kms of driving to (1). Reproduce the failure and, (2). Verify the repair, Honestly we are not likely to call just to ask if you're ok with it. A perfect example is completing an Emissions Readiness Drive Cycle after a repair. This will take at least 20km on top of any driving required to reproduce the fault, So if you want the pass same day, that's what it takes. Honestly 99.9% of our clientele would never second guess that, but I also don't work at a shady "Joe Blow" Garage

In reality I've driven about every luxury car and my fair share of high end sports cars over the years, and as much as people love to think we just wanna go for a joy ride, it's honestly just doing a job for most Tech's; trust me when I say we don't love your car as much as you think we do. At least not after you've been at it for more then a few years... quick lube places on the other hand... lots of excitable 20 somethings working there, I can't vouch for them

Back
Top Bottom