Does a lounder exhaust save lives? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does a lounder exhaust save lives?

Well you cannot help but answer "yes" because if someone doesn't make a lane-change because they hear something, then it has potentially saved a life.

Or ****** off someone by the excessive noise and making someone abruptly change a lane or some other evasive maneuver which otherwise they would not exercise ... thinking they are better of in front of the noise, then right behind him.

I several times myself decided to just increase my car speed or passed noisy bikes on hwy as they were sitting at just slightly higher speed than myself, just to get away from behind them.

If you need someone to hear you on the road use your horn. That's what it's there for. No need to be constantly making annoying sound which upsets pretty much everyone except yourself.

Or ****** off someone by the excessive noise and making someone abruptly change a lane or some other evasive maneuver which otherwise they would not exercise ... thinking they are better of in front of the noise, then right behind him.

I several times myself decided to just increase my car speed or passed noisy bikes on hwy as they were sitting at just slightly higher speed than myself, just to get away from behind them.

I understand what you are saying. It can be very annoying at times with certain bikes and muffler combinations. Also the huge variety of combinations (bikes and pipes) makes it very hard to control who puts what on. If noise pollution is such a large concern that car drivers would (and do) take measures to avoid bikes (or cut them off), I can see how that could create a dangerous situation for a vulnerable biker. BUT it is worth noting that you as a driver noticed the biker, albeit it was because you were annoyed by it, but you did see and hear the bike, its presence was enhanced because of the noise. The bottom line is does the extra noise help make the biker more noticeable (for awareness) to any other motor vehicles and or pedestrians (for city folks)..

I am just going to exclude negative driver reaction in the overall question because no rider can predict/control an irate cage drivers personal reaction to any type situation. If a car driver decides to try and hurt a biker because of something they are "annoyed" with I would consider that criminal.

If you need someone to hear you on the road use your horn. That's what it's there for. No need to be constantly making annoying sound which upsets pretty much everyone except yourself.

True. Maybe get an upgraded horn to increase its volume, that sounds like a reasonable path. I forget the name of that famous loud horn brand.

Stebel Nautilus, I think. I have one at home somewhere. Should install it since I've had it for like 3 years and my exhaust is actually louder than my horn. I've thought my horn wasn't working a few times because I can barely hear it at speed even on the bike. Then it did actually break and I didn't know for awhile, lol.

Mods always "Derailing" threads... Get it!....

[video=youtube;2kDORB3vR8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDORB3vR8s[/video]

First of all this video is epic.

Second of all it reinforces my initial opinion which I haven't stated, thus far, I'm too lazy to read the rest of this thread right now but I do believe that loud exhausts save lives whether it be ours or pedestrians. I also feel that exhausts are not to be used subsequently to horns which are also effective in creating audible awareness. I've had multiple occasions riding downtown where people have been half way into my lane and I've made them aware of my presence via exhaust or horn. Both have worked out for me in the past. I wouldn't say my exhaust has ever gotten me noticed before I revved the engine to create awareness though.
However I've ran a straight pipe, with no exhaust can and people certainly notice that sound before they see me.

Last edited:
Riding my scooters, I believe that I have had more close calls per season that my experience on a motorcycle.

First, I was wondering, is a scooter more dangerous than a motorcycle?

Then, I got it - other road users are not seeing me. It is the size.

And we are talking about big scooters (250 cc and 500cc). But still, they are smaller than a motorcycle, specially the 250cc.

So size is not everything, but it may be another factor why the Goldwings are safer. Just 'cause they are bigger. And bigger means that cars see them from far away.

Thread title says "louder exhaust". In all honesty I thought this was different than the usual FTW straight pipe douchbaggery. Some bikes benefit from breathing mods like airbox opening and slip on. It's going to run, sound and look better with the added bonus of lighter weight. If people are more aware of my presence as another side benefit, then good.

Thank you! I see the debate can get ugly, but I only want to shine a light on the science behind our abilities. Awareness for us as riders is a VERY important topic for us in Toronto (or anywhere cold) because we are forgotten over the winter months. There were so many accidents with bikers in the last couple of years, and friends of mine literally warned me that the mood and attitude towards riders has shifted in Toronto while I was away.

Riding my scooters, I believe that I have had more close calls per season that my experience on a motorcycle.
First, I was wondering, is a scooter more dangerous than a motorcycle?
Then, I got it - other road users are not seeing me. It is the size.
And we are talking about big scooters (250 cc and 500cc). But still, they are smaller than a motorcycle, specially the 250cc.
So size is not everything, but it may be another factor why the Goldwings are safer. Just 'cause they are bigger. And bigger means that cars see them from far away.

Exactly. Another example from a living rider that through personal experience proves: more stimulus>less stimulus

That is something that has to be considered in the testing. Different sizes of bikes, and shapes, and colors, and sound.. if we use our sense to navigate ourselves physically through the world, then our testing should consider all that our senses can detect, because we use what we detect to make our choices. I really think if this testing ever does take place it will have to be very thorough to be accurate. Maybe that's why it doesn't exist yet? :confused:

So anyway, I googled Lounder. It asked me did I mean Louder? No, no I did not.

Re: Does a louder exhaust save lives?

So anyway, I googled Lounder. It asked me did I mean Louder? No, no I did not.

lol..

EDIT: Found a Definition of LOUNDER chiefly Scottish: to beat or thrash heavily.

Does a (beat or heavily thrashed) exhaust save lives? I say YES.. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Motiv-LoudPipes.jpg

I don't like to put stickers on my bike (see sticker thread), if I got something to say I'll wear a Hawaiian shirt. They're pretty loud.

Even if louder exhausts did help somewhat, many riders I encounter negate the advantage with tiny LED blinkers, blurry integrated tail lights, riding on the shoulder, tailgating, riding in bike lanes, speeding, duckwalking, running reds and nonexistant lane discipline.

*shrugs*

This is the age of Facebook. Does anyone really need to justify their narcissism anymore? Grab your Go Pros, hack off those exhausts and start filming!

Exactly. Another example from a living rider that through personal experience proves: more stimulus>less stimulus

That is something that has to be considered in the testing. Different sizes of bikes, and shapes, and colors, and sound.. if we use our sense to navigate ourselves physically through the world, then our testing should consider all that our senses can detect, because we use what we detect to make our choices. I really think if this testing ever does take place it will have to be very thorough to be accurate. Maybe that's why it doesn't exist yet? :confused:

Yes, louder sounds are something to be considered, and it could theoretically be measured in a test (a test that does not exist yet, as you have said).

But... what you need to consider (what a few guys already said here, I think) is that loud pipes do not save lives, 'cause there is no silver bullet.

If a single factor is going to keep you alive, is rider training. Or maybe better, abstaining from alcohol when riding.

Even if louder exhausts did help somewhat, many riders I encounter negate the advantage with tiny LED blinkers, blurry integrated tail lights, riding on the shoulder, tailgating, riding in bike lanes, speeding, duckwalking, running reds and nonexistant lane discipline.

*shrugs*

Precisely.

The number one risk to riders, other than ourselves, is not being seen by other road users. More noise makes us more noticeable and more likely to be seen, therefore it's safer ("saves lives").

Where's the flaw in that rationale?

The flaw is that the loud pipes make people hate us. Therefore if we get in a collision we are "Hooligans" not the nice young outdoorsy person next door.

Instead of being treating like vulnerable motorists we are treated like people out looking for trouble.

How about a bit of honesty? How many people just use the "Be heard be seen" line to justify their desire to make noise. ALL of the loud pipe people I have asked admit that they like the noise. I don't like wearing a helmet but I do for reasons of safety. How many loud pipe types wish they could be quiet?

The flaw is that the loud pipes make people hate us. Therefore if we get in a collision we are "Hooligans" not the nice young outdoorsy person next door.

Instead of being treating like vulnerable motorists we are treated like people out looking for trouble.

How about a bit of honesty? How many people just use the "Be heard be seen" line to justify their desire to make noise. ALL of the loud pipe people I have asked admit that they like the noise. I don't like wearing a helmet but I do for reasons of safety. How many loud pipe types wish they could be quiet?

Can it be agreed upon that above a certain level sound is bad? I think most people are there now. Up to a certain point tho, sound is just life in the big city and until electric vehicles come along en mass the average level we have now is "normal". In that context one could still have a decent but muted vroom vroom sound and enjoy both benefits of safety and aural delight.

Speaking of loud pipe people admitting they like loud pipes, you'll usually see a pattern of other behaviours among that crowd consistent with small penisitis. This probably requires more intervention than a simple db killer insert can provide.

That picture has no relevance here. He is flying the stars and stripes. Everyone knows Americans are idiots. :p

I like the sound of my aftermarket exhaust. I like my bike to have a bit of a rumble. But stupid loud, whether on a bike, car or truck, is just that: Stupid, imho.

Edit: As stated before, I believe my bike is still quieter than a stock HD.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom