Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it?

Never been on a group ride with more than one person and even that I've only done about 4 times in 3 years so I deal with it just fine, heh.

Thanks for the replies, although as I feared, they largely focused on the roots of the issue. I generally have an idea why a lot of people are reluctant to post rides. However, I have led several myself or with a friend and have been fairly lucky so far. I've had crashes happen but no one ever got injured. I always do my best to discourage the type of people I do not want in my ride and most of the time it works leaving me with the more laid back, exploring kind, not the angry, squiddy, racing crowd nor the douchy, Ray-Ban decked, Starbucks wielding gents.

With that said, I will check out Stromtrooper and pay more attention to the Touring section of this board. Thanks! Facebook I am not sure if I can stomach, we'll see.

As for future rides, I may do Calaboogie and area next weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. If I do, I'll most likely post it. I have never actually been there.

not to go off topic but I hear Pennsylvania is way better than bogie and roughly the same time to get there :)

I just "did" PA a month ago. The route I took was about 1,300km vs. ~ 800km that I have mapped for 'boogie.
PA is better as a 2 day trip because of the time needed just to get there. Highly recommended though. If I have money and time, I will go to Ohio this year as well, towards the end of the season but that's an even more serious trip.

I used to be a group ride slut when I first signed up here, after a couple of seasons though a lot of people I rode with were thinned out by wrecks.
The last group ride I led made it about 1.2km before a n00b wadded their bike up...and then you are standing around for three hours waiting on the tow truck & ambulance...not to mention group rides are magnets for the po-po.

I just "did" PA a month ago. The route I took was about 1,300km vs. ~ 800km that I have mapped for 'boogie.
PA is better as a 2 day trip because of the time needed just to get there. Highly recommended though. If I have money and time, I will go to Ohio this year as well, towards the end of the season but that's an even more serious trip.

neat, keep me in the loop for that one. Yeah, I havn't been to bogie either. I think I'll be checking it out tomorrow :)

Well it's not surprising really, I left some group riders after people were doing 150+ and overtaking cars on a 2 lane road, and this was suppose to be a 125cc friendly ride too...lol. I don't ride a 125 but just saying, it wasn't safe imho

I had to pull 206 km/h on a 90km/h country road trying to catch up to these reckless bozos one time... I don't know about them but I have a licence and I want to continue riding a bike for life so I don't want a stunt driving HTA charge to screw my insurance. These guys don't have insurance or a licence me thinks.

On the other side of the coin there are these 50+ over older guys with their big cruisers/goldwings and their slow-poke boooring rides. There simply isn't any mid-range rides, a middle ground.

gtam is full of cry babies. no one that is skilled and knows awesome roads wants to post rides because it will turn in to a cluster **** of people bitching and complaining and insulting the leader when they probably can't do a better job themselves.

Of course people are going to cry when YOU and Ramon123 leave fellow riding brothas abandoned in ditches when they crash. One time you stopped just to see if the guy was alive and quickly moved on while the guy was still moaning on the ground.

Last edited:
I had to pull 206 km/h on a 90km/h country road trying to catch up to these reckless bozos one time... I don't know about them but I have a licence and I want to continue riding a bike for life so I don't want a stunt driving HTA charge to screw my insurance.

So you're one of those guys who is slower in the corners, then guns it in the straights so the guys stuck behind you can't safely get by. You shouldn't take corners faster then you are comfortable with, but have some courtesy & respect for the guys behind & wave them by. Side bonus, if you wave them by, you won't have so far to catch up.

Btw, riders like this are one of the reason I don't miss the decline in group rides.

I had to pull 206 km/h on a 90km/h country road trying to catch up to these reckless bozos one time...

Actually, you didn't HAVE to do that. If you are on a group ride and riders start doing stuff that you are not comfortable with ... just don't do it, and LEAVE. Normally, I don't leave a group ride without letting leaders/organizers/someone know ... but if I'm leaving because of irresponsibility on their part, then I'll do just that. If they don't care about me, then I don't care about them. But ... It's not often that I do a group ride without being the leader. By the way, from what I've seen, thread starter DemonPig is a good, responsible ride leader, and he's one of a few that I'd trust.

On the other side of the coin there are these 50+ over older guys with their big cruisers/goldwings and their slow-poke boooring rides. There simply isn't any mid-range rides, a middle ground.

There are ... but they're not organized by the attention whores.

P.S. I may do a Southwood run tomorrow. Last minute planning, I know - but I had a long list of bike-related things to do this weekend, including re-assembling my race engine, and it's almost done. If anyone else is interested, post up and I'll firm up a meeting time and place, most likely Hurontario/Mayfield Timmies for 9-ish AM departure. I will most likely be on my FZR400, which won't do 200 km/h ...

If on a group ride and the group is not willing to slow down the pace or wait for slower riders..... you as a participant of your own free will have the choice to continue or bail on said ride,like I have done countless times

Last edited:
So you're one of those guys who is slower in the corners, then guns it in the straights so the guys stuck behind you can't safely get by.

LOL - There's not really enough information to positively establish that ...

We had a complaint about high speeds etc from someone on our Thursday evening rides at one point ... and it was subsequently established that on the day in question, I was leading on my old cbr125, which basically means that the high speeds mentioned were impossible ... except as a result of parking it in corners and falling waaaaay behind then catching up on straights. Complaint came from someone who showed up once and never again, which I'm perfectly OK with.

I remember Brian P leaving a ride many years ago...lol damn hooligans:)

I used to love do group rides, especially the Muskoka area. But after bill 203 came along it was no longer fun.

I'd still do a Muskoka ride in the future, but only with riders I know.

Too many unknown riders with go-pro's equals a no-no for me.

Jeez, all this talk is making me itch to set up a group ride.

Let me see if I remember how to ride my bike again.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Organizers should tell people how fast/experienced/insane the ride is.
That way people would know what to expect.

Organizers should tell people how fast/experienced/insane the ride is.
That way people would know what to expect.

^ The claims are not always accurate - and there have been some notorious gross inaccuracies.

You just have to figure out who you like riding with.

Best reply I've seen in years.

gtam is full of cry babies. no one that is skilled and knows awesome roads wants to post rides because it will turn in to a cluster **** of people bitching and complaining and insulting the leader when they probably can't do a better job themselves.

Back
Top Bottom