Dear VW. Why do your new cars handle like a #@&% 1972 Buick??? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dear VW. Why do your new cars handle like a #@&% 1972 Buick???

Re: Dear VW. Why do your new cars handle like a #@&% 1972 Buick???

Just trade it in for a new civic or accord sport and all your steering and handling problems will be solved. Honda really has their chassis tuning sorted out lately. The slick shifting manual and exceptional reliability will be a bonus.

LOL ... which Honda dealership is it you work for? ... I didn't take a note from your last "Get Honda ..." reply to a thread ...

That's the trouble with a lot of supposed "race" set-ups that use really high spring and/or antiroll rates and wheel alignment that avoids positive camber and stiff bushings that eliminate compliance. And it's the reason cars designed for "everyman" have understeer designed into the suspension and steering geometry, and the spring and damping setup are set up for compliance and understeer. All those things are meant to start sending the driver "you're going too fast" warning signals long before they actually are exceeding the traction limits. With next to no body roll and no roll understeer and no compliance understeer, there's no warning to the driver that they're about to exceed the limit until they actually do, and then they're in the ditch. It's a fine balance between sending the driver the right warning signals before they get in trouble, and a feeling that the car is unresponsive to steering inputs.

Yep, I can totally see how my Golf behaves that way when pushed, on all-season tires. Now, the designers of Mini Cooper definitely did not use the same recipe at all ... the car does not understand what under-steer is, regardless speed or situation. Unbelievable for a FWD car, always a pleasure to drive. On the hand, it definitely is nowhere near compliant where the Golf is (there's a sport package on the Mini with stiffer springs) ... Golf feels like a Cadillac to the Mini ... LOL

I think OP just needs the driver mod. Those cars handle fine at highway speeds. They just have crap steering feel.

Got the car back from dealer, much better. Service manager says toe and camber was out, they re-aligned and moved the subframe to bring it back to factory specs. I can tell the difference. A short jaunt on the motorway and the car has a faster response, like the steering wheel lag I could feel has been eliminated.

RSB should be here today, I'll throw that on tonight. Youtube videos show about 1/2 hour job on ramps.

Last edited:
No rebuttal from Sunny about the back end of the Civic looking like a donkey's *****.

Oh wait, there isn't one.

No rebuttal from Sunny about the back end of the Civic looking like a donkey's *****. Oh wait, there isn't one.
Very first post compared a go cart - oops VW, to a Buick. My Buick had room for one of those go carts in the trunk, and handled fine for the most part. Once we hit that base, there was no longer a reason to support the truth. Anyways, what's the back end of a VW look like? I've never seen one for long enough. Their front ends could use some work though.

Best selling car in Canada yet again for 2016 and the year ain't over yet.

Guess not many agree with you

But only in Canada... Why that is, one can only speculate. As a repair technician, and as someone who talks to a lot of people about their cars, a perceived high reliability may be the answer; much the same as the other token "bullet proof" mark, Toyota. While neither make a bad car, I can honestly say, the days of being leaps and bounds ahead of their competition are truly gone; but this is Canada, we're always a little slow to react.

Now I haven't driven or worked on a 10th gen civic yet so I won't pass judgement; but starting with the 7th gen, which imho, was one of the worst ride qualities in a passenger car post y2k (particularly sedans, particularly rear) it's been a long time since a civic impressed me next to its competition. Add common failures like starters, drl module solder joints, blower resisters, cracked exhaust manifolds, fuel pumps, burning oil (all these I see often enough to list off the top of my head) and you have to wonder what they put in the water cooler's around the Honda dealerships haha... I kid, I kid.

But only in Canada... Why that is, one can only speculate. As a repair technician, and as someone who talks to a lot of people about their cars, a perceived high reliability may be the answer; much the same as the other token "bullet proof" mark, Toyota. While neither make a bad car, I can honestly say, the days of being leaps and bounds ahead of their competition are truly gone; but this is Canada, we're always a little slow to react.

Now I haven't driven or worked on a 10th gen civic yet so I won't pass judgement; but starting with the 7th gen, which imho, was one of the worst ride qualities in a passenger car post y2k (particularly sedans, particularly rear) it's been a long time since a civic impressed me next to its competition. Add common failures like starters, drl module solder joints, blower resisters, cracked exhaust manifolds, fuel pumps, burning oil (all these I see often enough to list off the top of my head) and you have to wonder what they put in the water cooler's around the Honda dealerships haha... I kid, I kid.

I think some of the Civic's success/folklore steams from Asian roots and also being assembled here in Ontario.

Same with the Corolla.

Both have "reputations" as being bulletproof etc.

There is some Canadian pride they are assembled in Canada. Even if the corolla assembly has moved out of country this year.

Btw OP, glad you got the Jetta sorted out. I enjoyed my two golf wagons and got all my speeding tickets in them. Even with the stupid speedometer calibration.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some of the Civic's success/folklore steams from Asian roots and also being assembled here in Ontario.

Same with the Corolla.

Both have "reputations" as being bulletproof etc.

There is some Canadian pride they are assembled in Canada. Even if the corolla assembly has moved out of country this year.

Btw OP, glad you got the Jetta sorted out. I enjoyed my two golf wagons and got all my speeding tickets in them. Even with the stupid speedometer calibration.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Civics should be the poster child of the next "made in Canada/make Canada great again" conservative campaign. Kevin O'Leary as Canada's Trump

I think the issue with Civic and Corolla as having the bulletproof reliability is that it's been like that for so long that now it's commonly accepted fact...true or not. I personally enjoy my Civic, but sure there's other cars which are better and more comfortable / fun to drive but for the fun/$ it can't be beat at the moment.

Plus consider many families buy the same brand for years, that their kids stick with it for the next generation. My folks have not had any other car except Nissan (Sentra, Pathfinder x 3, Rogue) since we moved to Canada in 1989 and every brand is compared to it.

I also don't think there are many 'BAD' cars out there nowadays. With the internet and reviews and social media, and every little precious snowflake crying the blues about the smallest issue with their cars a bad manufacturer would be killed in the market fairly quickly and issues would be resolved. Look how far Hyundai has come in such a short amount of time. They came up with a new design and then you see a similar style with others throughout (Kia Optima comes to mind).

As for OP...glad you got it sorted out! Does the car now drive how you want it to? Let us know how the RSB changed the characteristic...thinking of putting one on mine.

7th gen was 2001 which was when Honda forgot how to do it right. A good friend had a 2002 Civic for years, and while it was fine from the reliability point of view, "it's a car". It looked and felt cheap inside, and it was a gutless wonder (this was a non-VTEC model).

Lots of people buy Civics (and Corollas) on autopilot without test driving and without comparing them to what else is on the market. Lots of people don't know what to look for on a test drive and wouldn't know proper steering or suspension calibration if it hit them in the face, so there's that, too.

The new 2016 Civic has a full chassis redesign. I can only speak to some aspects of it that I've seen because I've had some involvement in the assembly equipment. The rear suspension is a complete new design - they've finally ditched that wonky big lower control arm with the angled pivot to the rear knuckle. The new one uses a trailing link and multiple lateral arms which should do a better job of separating NVH (compliant fore/aft bushings to transmit less noise) and cornering forces (stiff bushings on the lateral links to guide the hub better). The old rear suspension design couldn't do that very well.

The new rear suspension design for 2016 is similar to what other manufacturers have been using for a while. A lot of other manufacturers are already using this suspension layout. I believe the 1998 Ford Focus with what Ford then called the "control blade" rear suspension was the first one to mass-market this design. Other manufacturers have copied. The VW Mk5 IRS design which VW has used since 2005 works the same way. I know the Chevy Equinox uses the same setup for its rear suspension. I'm sure there are others. Honda is late to this particular party ... 18 years late ...

Well chaps, the RSB is on. I put it on the softer setting out of the two as per Eibach recommendations. Did some motorway off-ramps and there is noticeably less body roll and understeer. Won't know for sure until I pass through that same section in Hamilton again but it has to be better than it was. The OEM bar was 19mm, the Eibach is 23mm. Why it never came this way from the factory I have no idea.

I did test drive the Civic, I wanted to like it but I found the styling really hard on the eyes plus the dealer was take-it-or-leave-it on MSRP. A desperate VW and dealership saw 5K off and 0% financing so that was hard to pass up.

I like the conservative styling and interior on the Jetta. If I want lots of attention I just have to hop on my bike.

Then whats the excuse for our american friends?

as of July 2016, the Civic was the second best selling car in america with an impressive 19 percent gain YTD.

As of October, Toyotas and Hondas (civic, accord, camry and corolla) occupy the first 4 slots with only a few thousand units separating all of them all.

Its a great race to watch.

It appears the US and Canada buyers are well informed on quality built cars.

If you've followed my posts, you'd notice I never ever knocked a toyota (well except maybe the unimpressive Tacoma). They simply build great cars. Along with Honda.

Last edited:
I did test drive the Civic, I wanted to like it but I found the styling really hard on the eyes plus the dealer was take-it-or-leave-it on MSRP. A desperate VW and dealership saw 5K off and 0% financing so that was hard to pass up.

Good on you for being a shrewd buyer.

go to any VW or Hyundai dealership, and they will drop their pants to make a sale.

Head to Honda or Toyota, and people have no problem paying asking price. Yet they are still top sellers. Also does wonders for their resale value down the road.

I also don't think there are many 'BAD' cars out there nowadays.

This is so true. the gap is narrowed significantly. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the makes these days.

For years, I've steered countless away from the "big 3". To this day I still wouldn't go near a Chrysler product. Avoid at all costs. GM and especially FORD have really upped their game and good on them. Ford being the only domestic brand I'd highly recommend if somebody wanted an "american" car. Oh, and their trucks are just plain awesome.

CarComplaints.com has 37,460 complaints on file for Ford vehicles.
CarComplaints.com has 22,706 complaints on file for Honda vehicles.
CarComplaints.com has 26,144 complaints on file for Chevrolet vehicles.
CarComplaints.com has 6,242 complaints on file for Chrysler vehicles.
CarComplaints.com has 2,839 complaints on file for Volkswagen vehicles.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

My non Sunny S approved vehicles have done fine.

The eibach 23mm bar is the same one I had. I think you will like that mod!

This is so true. the gap is narrowed significantly. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the makes these days.

Sure, if you only consider a car an appliance, which most people do nowadays. I could say that about many things I have at home ... I just don't care about brand and many features, as long as it does the job. But I don't want my car to be an "appliance", so many cars/brands are out, doesn't matter how reliable they are. I definitely want my fridge to be reliable, but that's it, no other requirement really (doors squeaks ... who cares).

I will still say there's a big difference how cars from variety of brands drive ... and no I don't mean just power/torque ... and I understand that to most of population it doesn't matter, since they are buying appliance to get them from A to B, and that is fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom