Daily sports car? | Page 83 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

I recently drove my brother's new GTI with DSG or whatever they're calling it now. Seems to act a bit more like a manual gearbox than I remember the early DSG's, in that it's actually in neutral when you're at a stop and doesn't go into gear until you give it some gas (if you're on an incline with your foot off the brake and gas, it rolls).

I remember the early days of DSG, around 2000, a whole bunch of manufacturers were coming out with their versions in their street cars. BMW has the SMG in the M3, Ferrari had the F1 in the 360 (or was it the 355?), all very clunky, especially in auto mode. Lots of complaints, lots of people still sticking with... well, stick.

Fascinating to see the technology evolve over the years to a point where it's actually superior than manual shift in every single way - except fun factor.

Fascinating to see the technology evolve over the years to a point where it's actually superior than manual shift in every single way - except fun factor.
And maintenance. Reasonably frequent expensive oil changes required. Ford had a ton of problem with them in the Fiesta and focus. Enough problems to ruin the cars. Many people went through a handful under warranty and dumped cars after warranty as changing the box was so expensive.

I remember the early days of DSG, around 2000, a whole bunch of manufacturers were coming out with their versions in their street cars. BMW has the SMG in the M3, Ferrari had the F1 in the 360 (or was it the 355?), all very clunky, especially in auto mode. Lots of complaints, lots of people still sticking with... well, stick.

By DSG, I meant specifically VW/Audi's DSG. To this day, my favorite for fun actor is still BMW's SMG in the E46 M3. It drives just like my 6-speed, except no clutch. As it should - it uses the same bell housing and gearbox as the 6-speed M3, but has hydraulic actuators controlling the gear selector and clutch, to the point where people who don't want to learn how to drive it smoothly (or kill it by not maintaining it properly) can replace the automation with the OEM manual parts. Rev matching during heel and toe downshifting takes all the same timing and coordination as on a manual, and is just as rewarding. Probably more, because if your technique is off, you'll feel it since you can't rely on the clutch to fix your own mistake.

By DSG, I meant specifically VW/Audi's DSG. To this day, my favorite for fun actor is still BMW's SMG in the E46 M3. It drives just like my 6-speed, except no clutch. As it should - it uses the same bell housing and gearbox as the 6-speed M3, but has hydraulic actuators controlling the gear selector and clutch, to the point where people who don't want to learn how to drive it smoothly (or kill it by not maintaining it properly) can replace the automation with the OEM manual parts. Rev matching during heel and toe downshifting takes all the same timing and coordination as on a manual, and is just as rewarding. Probably more, because if your technique is off, you'll feel it since you can't rely on the clutch to fix your own mistake.
That's not a dct that is a automated manual. Single clutch .

Sent from the future

Went for a bit more spirited boot in the GTI yesterday. Fun for sure. But with the bike not sure it’s worth the bother as cars are becoming point A to point B type of vehicle now. The bike is for kicks and enjoyment.

Went for a bit more spirited boot in the GTI yesterday. Fun for sure. But with the bike not sure it’s worth the bother as cars are becoming point A to point B type of vehicle now. The bike is for kicks and enjoyment.
Exactly ... why I keep the Volt for daily duties. Filling up with gas every week or so would be a step backwards for me. I say keep the Volt bud.

Exactly ... why I keep the Volt for daily duties. Filling up with gas every week or so would be a step backwards for me. I say keep the Volt bud.
This is my thinking. I'm still not 100% sure which way to go, as the Volt is at 120k and the warranty on the battery runs out in a year. My thought is to get rid of it BEFORE the VOLTEC warranty expires.

But...the eventual plan is to go full electric. Mustang Mach-E taste on a Chevrolet Bolt budget :(

This is my thinking. I'm still not 100% sure which way to go, as the Volt is at 120k and the warranty on the battery runs out in a year. My thought is to get rid of it BEFORE the VOLTEC warranty expires.

But...the eventual plan is to go full electric. Mustang Mach-E taste on a Chevrolet Bolt budget :(
I wouldn't be concerned about the battery. If they were dying often, the anti-ev folks would be all over that. As it is, they find the occasional battery replacement quote and go nuts.

I wouldn't be concerned about the battery. If they were dying often, the anti-ev folks would be all over that. As it is, they find the occasional battery replacement quote and go nuts.
Exactly - that's like getting rid of an ICE car when it's engine warranty runs out. I'm on the forums and there are many Gen1 Volt's still going strong.

Battery warranty is the least of my worries.

There's some amazing progress being made on battery tech. This is from a major producer (not some some startup vaporware idea):

"CATL, the world's largest EV battery maker and a major Tesla supplier, has launched a new fast charging lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery capable of adding 248 miles of range after just 10 minutes of charge.

Dubbed Shenxing (an ancient Chinese phrase praising speed), the new battery, which is described by CATL as a "battery for everyone," will enable up to 434 miles of range on China's CLTC cycle, CATL announced during an online briefing on August 16.

The company claims Shenxing is the world's first LFP battery to support 4C super fast charging, which means it can charge at a current of 12A above the diffusion limiting current."

I too was going full EV next but I'm re-thinking that idea for another 5-10 years.

My M3's been rarely driven since I started working from home, and my plans to buy a C8 are also on hold because of that - no point in having one just to rot in the garage (and take up space that could be used for more bikes). If it's nice enough for a "pleasure" drive (which I never do anyways), then it's nice enough to ride.

My M3's been rarely driven since I started working from home, and my plans to buy a C8 are also on hold because of that - no point in having one just to rot in the garage (and take up space that could be used for more bikes). If it's nice enough for a "pleasure" drive (which I never do anyways), then it's nice enough to ride.
Maybe the $12,000(cdn) price increase for the base C8 (about $32,000 extra for a Z06) announced this week will put the plan on hold a bit longer?

Maybe the $12,000(cdn) price increase for the base C8 (about $32,000 extra for a Z06) announced this week will put the plan on hold a bit longer?
Ballers gotta ball Gary…it’s the GTAM way.

BIL told me he was 5th in line for his new M2. 3 people dropped out when it came time to put pen to paper…so now he’s 2nd in line.

• Wow
Reactions: LBV
This is a real thing. Happens with so many that buy toys. There's been a Porsche I'm my garage since 2005. The present one was a factory order by me in 2015. Now 8 years old with 25000kms. I ask my myself every year, if someone walked up my driveway and offered to purchase it, what would I do?
I don't know.

This is a real thing. Happens with so many that buy toys. There's been a Porsche I'm my garage since 2005. The present one was a factory order by me in 2015. Now 8 years old with 25000kms. I ask my myself every year, if someone walked up my driveway and offered to purchase it, what would I do?
I don't know.
At that point, it depends on the number. Same as the house, I've not giving it away but if the number is compelling I will consider it. House obviously has a bigger premium as moving is a pain in the ass.

Not jumping in early has actually worked out better - my investments increased more than the price increases, and I can afford a better spec'd car now than if I bought back then. So now I have my sights on the E-Ray, especially since they show it in Elkhart Lake Blue, or something close.

Been overseas for 7 years now in the Middle East and redid my M2 several times never bothering to get a full M which could have been exchanged here. Having one parking spot and a bike is a mild definition of life struggles. I still enjoy bikes, but from afar. (We have MotoGP) It's simply too hot here most of the time and red lights are too long to do anything except choke in diesel fumes or cook. Shame because I'd love to rip a lap of Losail on a bike.

All that said, I'm proud to call a 992 GT3 (PDK and 18 way comfort seats, not buckets) my daily now after saving up some tax free salary. I was diagnosed with colon cancer here a year ago and yeah, a stoma bag plus biker gear in 40+ celsius is not my idea of fun. Decided I can't bring the money with me and missed the bike/track days too much. Bought the Porsche slightly used since allocation slot for any 911 is impossible unless you've bought 3 Cayennes and a Maycan from the dealer... or traded in a previous 911. Glad didn't pay $300k cad like the ones in Ontario were/are going for. Resale is decent here on higher end cars (They play Forza/GT here but in real life).

What a car. I know the GT3 RS is getting all the attention as of late, but as a daily, the regular GT3 with an axle lift is sublime for every day. We have mint roads, plus no salt or ice here; PPF is a must however due to the sand. Still waiting on Losail to reopen for F1 renos before I can tell what it's like on the track.

The engine/chassis is .. yeah... It reminds me a lot of my CBR 1000RR with the compression and slow down on deaccelleration. Basically a bike but with way more mechanical grip. They started pushing the Taycan here despite the oil prices and I wanted in on this before the last of the dinosaurs are extinct. Couldn't have chosen a better car.

Edit: added a pic

:)

Attachments

• _DSC3597-Enhanced-NR - Copy.jpeg
    _DSC3597-Enhanced-NR - Copy.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Been overseas for 7 years now in the Middle East and redid my M2 several times never bothering to get a full M which could have been exchanged here. Having one parking spot and a bike is a mild definition of life struggles. I still enjoy bikes, but from afar. (We have MotoGP) It's simply too hot here most of the time and red lights are too long to do anything except choke in diesel fumes or cook. Shame because I'd love to rip a lap of Losail on a bike.

All that said, I'm proud to call a 992 GT3 (PDK and 18 way comfort seats, not buckets) my daily now after saving up some tax free salary. I was diagnosed with colon cancer here a year ago and yeah, a stoma bag plus biker gear in 40+ celsius is not my idea of fun. Decided I can't bring the money with me and missed the bike/track days too much. Bought the Porsche slightly used since allocation slot for any 911 is impossible unless you've bought 3 Cayennes and a Maycan from the dealer... or traded in a previous 911. Glad didn't pay $300k cad like the ones in Ontario were/are going for. Resale is decent here on higher end cars (They play Forza/GT here but in real life).

What a car. I know the GT3 RS is getting all the attention as of late, but as a daily, the regular GT3 with an axle lift is sublime for every day. We have mint roads, plus no salt or ice here; PPF is a must however due to the sand. Still waiting on Losail to reopen for F1 renos before I can tell what it's like on the track.

The engine/chassis is .. yeah... It reminds me a lot of my CBR 1000RR with the compression and slow down on deaccelleration. Basically a bike but with way more mechanical grip. They started pushing the Taycan here despite the oil prices and I wanted in on this before the last of the dinosaurs are extinct. Couldn't have chosen a better car.

Edit: added a pic

:)

Nice car!

Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I often wonder what I would do if I couldn't ride for one reason or another. I used to be into sports cars, had a factory-ordered 996 a couple of years before I started riding. Tracked it a couple of times. That car sat in the garage for over 11 years, collecting dust because motorcycles became my all-consuming passion. As Porschephiles know, the 996 was the most reviled 911 ever built and I pretty much gave it away with 60,000 kms on the odometer. It was still in show-room condition.

I haven't really kept up with the new sports car market. As I get older, I find myself preferring the older models of my youth. Newer cars have gotten way too large - longer wheelbases and wider stances. I like smaller vehicles that are more nimble. However, I do admit that modern technology like suspension is much better, plus reliability factor and parts availability. So something like a restomod would probably be the avenue I'd go down.

Having said that, it would be sacrilege doing a restomod on a rare model like a 993 Turbo.

I like Singer's ground-up builds of 60-70s era Porsches: extensive performance modification of brakes, engine, suspension, wheels w/ carbon-fibre bodywork while keeping the same body shape and interior. Just... $1MM USD...

gulf-blue-singer-porsche-7mai4heb0fkhjxt2.jpg

Other, more reality-based cars on my radar are the Corvette C3 and the RX-7 FD. I also liked the TVR Tuscan S, but know very little about them other than the fact they are hot-looking.

Thanks! For me, the 996 was the most desirable. I wasn't really into the air cooled and fell in love with the 996 GT2 after seeing its reliability on the early 2000s gumball with Lonman abusing his all over. I've seen turbo 996 for sale, but the GT2 are rarer. Neighbour has a 997 GT2 and 996 GT3 cs, so it just swayed me after chatting.

What an upgrade from my Kia.. Haha
Nice car!

Sorry to hear about your health problems.

I often wonder what I would do if I couldn't ride for one reason or another. I used to be into sports cars, had a factory-ordered 996 a couple of years before I started riding. Tracked it a couple of times. That car sat in the garage for over 11 years, collecting dust because motorcycles became my all-consuming passion. As Porschephiles know, the 996 was the most reviled 911 ever built and I pretty much gave it away with 60,000 kms on the odometer. It was still in show-room condition.

I haven't really kept up with the new sports car market. As I get older, I find myself preferring the older models of my youth. Newer cars have gotten way too large - longer wheelbases and wider stances. I like smaller vehicles that are more nimble. However, I do admit that modern technology like suspension is much better, plus reliability factor and parts availability. So something like a restomod would probably be the avenue I'd go down.

Having said that, it would be sacrilege doing a restomod on a rare model like a 993 Turbo.

I like Singer's ground-up builds of 60-70s era Porsches: extensive performance modification of brakes, engine, suspension, wheels w/ carbon-fibre bodywork while keeping the same body shape and interior. Just... $1MM USD...

gulf-blue-singer-porsche-7mai4heb0fkhjxt2.jpg

Other, more reality-based cars on my radar are the Corvette C3 and the RX-7 FD. I also liked the TVR Tuscan S, but know very little about them other than the fact they are hot-looking.

Back
Top Bottom