Covid travel restrictions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid travel restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

A relative needs to get home to Nova Scotia and has asked me to drive as I'm not working. If I'm going I'd like to bring back a sailboat for my uncle as I'm already there.
Having a hard time with all the provincial restrictions. Anyone know if this is feasible at all or a pipe dream?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

A relative needs to get home to Nova Scotia and has asked me to drive as I'm not working. If I'm going I'd like to bring back a sailboat for my uncle as I'm already there.
Having a hard time with all the provincial restrictions. Anyone know if this is feasible at all or a pipe dream?

I was going to do a province by province search, but since you HAVE to go through quebec, I found this, safe to assume you cant really go (official link at the bottom) :

#edit, you wont be able to go through the states either because that border is closed, at this point the only decent option sounds like a solo airplane flight for your relative(no idea if they are open or not)
1613404712607.png

Last edited:
Probably not viable to use land transport.

sail it back?

edit: st. Lawrence apparently flows east, no bueno.

I know @PrivatePilot just got back from a run into Quebec, no issues. Any advice available PP?

I have friends in both NB and NS. NB people had friends from Quebec turned away from border because they had no Atlantic residency. They've also seen people have their ON plated car get stones thrown at it fyi.
My NS friends have seen people from NB turned away as well as their reason for entering province wasn't important enough.

I have friends in both NB and NS. NB people had friends from Quebec turned away from border because they had no Atlantic residency. They've also seen people have their ON plated car get stones thrown at it fyi.
My NS friends have seen people from NB turned away as well as their reason for entering province wasn't important enough.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Website is confusing but it sounds like you either need to be a resident or have have a REALLY good reason to get approval.

Not sure about N.S. but I spent a month in New Brunswick but that was last fall Mid-Oct to Mid-Nov. I don't know what's changed since then as I haven't had to go again. It was easy-peasy when I went. Had to apply for entry permission from the NB gov't 1st and detail the reason for going plus your quarantine plan. That took about a week to get the permission document back. You had to print that out and carry with you. Each person going had to be listed on that document. There was a check point at the border. Those with the document go right through, maybe 2 minutes. Those without the document; off to the gulag with you!!
Quebec was basically shut down back then. Even McD's was closed around supper time. Costco was wide open lol. Bathroom breaks were an issue through Quebec at times. The NB officials did follow up by phone with us during our 2 week quarantine and insisted on speaking with both of us when they called. There was no issue leaving the Province at all but the same situation coming back from Quebec - ghost town.
Our reason for going was to assist in clearing out my mother's house as it had been sold after she had recently gone into a care facility. We were approved with no issue.

Last edited:
I thought Atlantic provinces were still doing the bubble. That would mean you have to isolate out there for 14 days before being able to drive back, even if you could get through QC and NB on the way. Unfortunately I think the best route is to have your relative fly back but that might be some of the routes that AC has cancelled outright to the East Coast.

I thought Atlantic provinces were still doing the bubble. That would mean you have to isolate out there for 14 days before being able to drive back, even if you could get through QC and NB on the way. Unfortunately I think the best route is to have your relative fly back but that might be some of the routes that AC has cancelled outright to the East Coast.
Just have to isolate 14 days if you stay that long. Can leave earlier but of course have to isolate during the period there. Keep in mind if you stay with people there they may also be required to now isolate for 14 days as well.

Just have to isolate 14 days if you stay that long. Can leave earlier but of course have to isolate during the period there. Keep in mind if you stay with people there they may also be required to now isolate for 14 days as well.
My thought was drop off the relative, hitch up the sailboat. One night alone in a hotel and on my way home. Other than that it would be fuel and drive thru for coffee/food.
Looks like I'd have to apply for a permit from both NB and NS, may or may not be approved as essential (enough).

I know @PrivatePilot just got back from a run into Quebec, no issues. Any advice available PP?

What's applicable to me with a commercial drivers licence and the exemptions that go with it are not necessarily applicable to others, so can't be of help.

FWIW there was no "checkpoints" or anything between Ontario and Quebec. The east coast once you get to NB and such, there absolutely is, you're not getting in without good reason.

What's applicable to me with a commercial drivers licence and the exemptions that go with it are not necessarily applicable to others, so can't be of help.

FWIW there was no "checkpoints" or anything between Ontario and Quebec. The east coast once you get to NB and such, there absolutely is, you're not getting in without good reason.
Iceman has a commercial dl as well I believe.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Is your friend "moving"?

Moving​

Can loved ones be asked to help with moving?

In a red zone, moving house is not recommended but is not prohibited. If you absolutely have to move, follow the instructions in this document: .
If you can't hire movers and you absolutely need help moving, you can ask family members and friends to help provided you comply with a number of requirements.
First, make sure no one has symptoms associated with COVID‑19, has returned from travelling in the last 14 days or has been in contact with infected people.
You must also limit the number of people and the length of time they are there as much as possible. As much as possible, ensure there is always a distance of 2 metres between everyone.
Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds and follow the other basic health recommendations (avoid direct contact for greetings, such as handshakes; cough into your elbow; avoid touching your face with your hands, etc.).

Is it possible for a person who is moving to one of these regions to do so?

Yes, if the person who is moving is settling in his principal residence and does not display any COVID-19 symptoms.
Moving companies are considered priority services. However, moving employees cannot carry out their work if they have symptoms of COVID-19.

I'd ask someone official and get something in writing if you're that concerned, but I would assume those rules are in place to prevent people from travelling around within Quebec rather than through it.

Iceman has a commercial dl as well I believe.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
I do but I don't believe that applies to anything when I'm on personal business in my personal vehicle. I may be wrong.

I do but I don't believe that applies to anything when I'm on personal business in my personal vehicle.

I received conflicting info on that. I went with the last answer I received and didn't question it any further. I'll leave it at that.

Like I said, we went to great lengths to basically isolate ourselves - we weren't the sorts who went into every store and restaurant and browsed for the fun of it, sat down for dinner somewhere, etc etc...it was very much an in-and-out thing.

My thought was drop off the relative, hitch up the sailboat. One night alone in a hotel and on my way home. Other than that it would be fuel and drive thru for coffee/food.
Looks like I'd have to apply for a permit from both NB and NS, may or may not be approved as essential (enough).

Not gonna get through any drive thru with a sailboat attached.

I see problems due to the dysfunctional mix of governments. Depending on why the relative needs to go to NS you may or may get an OK based on humanitarian or moving reasons. You need to deal with PQ, NB and NS plus any federal restrictions. Doing it in reverse while towing a boat on a trailer through questionable weather doesn't sound like a fun trip. Rules seem change daily. The moving excuse is touchy if there are no personal goods with you.

What size boat?

The paperwork coming back should be easier because you're going home.

A flight for the relative is the simplest but some people can't fly for personal reasons. I wouldn't get on a plane until this mess is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom