Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Const. James Forcillo shot Sammy Yatim - the trial

I think the better question is how many times did cops use to stop these shootings. Most of these probably happen very quickly without any requirement for police to use an lethal force during the responce.
all they have to do is shoot the would-be shooter with an assault rifle just before he shoots the victim. duh! Homicides instantly down

all they have to do is shoot the would-be shooter with an assault rifle just before he shoots the victim. duh! Homicides instantly down

Well yea thats my point but i don't think most incidents involving firearms are playing out like this. Its defiantly a nice thing for the police to have after all it was never said that this is the be-all and end-all tool for them.

Of course the best way to cut down on the incidents of gun violence would be better boarder interdiction and to address violence overall would be to address the growing inequality within the communities were violence is an issue as well as to change our penal system to focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

None in Toronto that I can recall, at least two in Peel right next door.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/20/two-charged-in-shooting-of-peel-cop-in-brampton

A rifle would have not a made a difference.

Well yea thats my point but i don't think most incidents involving firearms are playing out like this. Its defiantly a nice thing for the police to have after all it was never said that this is the be-all and end-all tool for them.

Of course the best way to cut down on the incidents of gun violence would be better boarder interdiction and to address violence overall would be to address the growing inequality within the communities were violence is an issue as well as to change our penal system to focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

So other than getting black guns, what is the police changing to reduce violence?

Last edited:
So other than getting black guns, what is the police changing to reduce violence?

Actually Pistols are the things most often smuggled and used in Gang violence but any smuggles weapons interdicted is good!. The addition of a rile of the armories of police services is not a program to reduce violence only to provide the better ability to respond to some situations. Reductions in violence cant really be made through police interactions, only better outcomes, at least not from a holistic view that change has to be societal.

Nope but I dont think the police are claiming it will eliminate all shootings. Its just one of the tools the police have. Situation will have to dictate its usage.

The first tool they went for was a black gun. Considering most shootouts in the GTA, is a black gun the first tool they should get? How about getting better education? Learning to de-escalate conflicts? More time at the range? Pretty sure better sidearm training across the force is more effective than 50 black guns. How about explaining to them that clinically dead people can't come after them.

The first tool they went for was a black gun. Considering most shootouts in the GTA, is a black gun the first tool they should get? How about getting better education? Learning to de-escalate conflicts? More time at the range? Pretty sure better sidearm training across the force is more effective than 50 black guns. How about explaining to them that clinically dead people can't come after them.

I don't disagree that better training on de-escalation and use of force would be a great investment along with LTL options being more widely available. In fact i made this point myself. But I still think having a intermediate range rifle is still a useful tool for some situations.

I don't disagree that better training on de-escalation and use of force would be a great investment along with LTL options being more widely available. In fact i made this point myself. But I still think having a intermediate range rifle is still a useful tool for some situations.

Absolutely, even an F22 would be a useful tool for some situations. Point is, this purchase shows that they are focused on militarizing. With the increasing incidence of police brutality and rights abuse I don't support the direction they are headed in.

Absolutely, even an F22 would be a useful tool for some situations. Point is, this purchase shows that they are focused on militarizing. With the increasing incidence of police brutality and rights abuse I don't support the direction they are headed in.

Your worried about the OPP and Toronto police when you have a paramilitary organization as your federal police force RCMP are the ones to watch.

No no no! All officers must be trained to sing Kumbaya acapella for we all know that musical harmony will always soothe the savage beast among us.

No no no! All officers must be trained to sing Kumbaya acapella for we all know that musical harmony will always soothe the savage beast among us.

Not more ridiculous than shooting Sammy 3x + 6x +1 + tasing him.

Maybe because tasers don't work well against increasing use of firearms by gang-bangers in Toronto and increasing numbers of shooting victims?

Would you bring a taser to a gunfight?

Wow, you posted so many things. Too bad nothing was relevant.

Please start by posting the number of actual gun fights occurrences between Toronto cops vs. gang-bangers during 2015. Then, please post the number of victims (cops) at the hands of gang-bangers due to the lack of adequate firepower.

Please start by posting the number of actual gun fights occurrences between Toronto cops vs. gang-bangers during 2015. Then, please post the number of victims (cops) at the hands of gang-bangers due to the lack of adequate firepower.

Just chiming in to say that made me laugh...

kinda my point as well

.....not really sure how the militarization of police forces actually cuts down on crime or even makes the officers safer at all.

Peel courthouse of Hurontario was the one I had in mind, but that was actually in fall 2014 and not in the 2015 calendar year.

Close enough that it counts. I know more about that incident then most... more than I want to know.

Terminology has been horribly muddled by ill-informed or spin doctoring media and politicians.
No, language simply evolves. It's all a fuzzy grey area, there's no law about what has to be called what. Dictionaries are revised constantly.

I followed a discussion a few weeks ago about the misappropriation of the economic term "value added" in the news. They're trying to describe a new idea but using a term that already has a specific meaning. Or, look at all the new words to describe categories of automobiles, and which ones fall into which category (though a lot of that is a marketing attempt at differentiation).

The point is to try and understand the idea people mean to convey when they misuse the term, rather than use it as an excuse to immediately criticize and dismiss the argument.

Not only would it be more effective it would probably lead to the police killing less people thats a good thing. Only issue i have is when you start handing tasers out police forces have generally had trouble keeping their officers from using them as punishment tools rather than tools to end threats.
Absolutely right. If they only get one weapon, I prefer they all get a pistol (in combination with meaningful training in de-escalation techniques) rather that a taser, because it's treated as non-lethal even though it has proven to be quite lethal. Also, if cops (not Forcilloed) deem it necessary to stop a perp before a situation turns into an imminent safety risk, then I don't mind if they end up killing the guy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom