Computer parts in US | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Computer parts in US

Pre-built is usually cheaper but they are using the cheapest components they can find. Custom building you can hand pick your components so your know exactly what you're getting.

I would only custom build if its for gaming or heavy graphics workstation.

As far as Canadian retailers I only buy/order from: NCIX, Canada Computers, and Newegg. I will throw Tiger Direct in there but I personally don't buy from them.

I also used to buy from Direct Canada - no real reason I haven't shopped there recently but it's been long enough that they might have changed for the worse. Still worth checking out, caveat emptor

What about your time?
That has to be worth some too.

I just go to FutureShop.ca or Dell.ca and ask "what's on sale?" I wish I had time to build my own system to save some $$$... but I don't, much less have time to drive to the USA to pick up the parts...
If you're talking future shop or dell, you shouldn't be in this thread, lol.

I build my own PC because I like to customize my stuff, plus overclocking can make it go faster. Anything I have has to be faster... mmmkay?

If you're talking future shop or dell, you shouldn't be in this thread, lol.

I build my own PC because I like to customize my stuff, plus overclocking can make it go faster. Anything I have has to be faster... mmmkay?

Shessh man, I think you missed my point.
That's my fault, I did not explain myself very well, 'cause I didn't have the time. :p

Here it goes - If your time is really valuable, then it might be quite expensive to waste it. Just spend more money instead!

The less free time you have, the more valuable it becomes. Then, the better off you will be by paying for convinience.

Just like Scotiabank bank says "you're richer than you think", it is the same with time... "Your time is more expensive than you think"... make sure you don't waste it...

Shessh man, I think you missed my point.
That's my fault, I did not explain myself very well, 'cause I didn't have the time. :p

Here it goes - If your time is really valuable, then it might be quite expensive to waste it. Just spend more money instead!

The less free time you have, the more valuable it becomes. Then, the better off you will be by paying for convinience.

Just like Scotiabank bank says "you're richer than you think", it is the same with time... "Your time is more expensive than you think"... make sure you don't waste it...

I agree, time is valuable. The time it would take to go to the states, cross the border, pick up the item, come back, would not be worth $50, even $100 or more for me.

I buy from canadacomputers.com Terrible customer service and staff, but if you know what your buying you can get good deals.

Ca.pcpartpicker.com is the way to go, if you are going to use pcpartpickerpcpicker.com use CBIUSA, great boarder shipping place minutes from the Niagara boarder. Used them a few times, always great service.

Regardless of where you buy from make sure you try and get your parts during Black Friday. Tiger direct has the i7 4790k for $32 off the cheapest price on pcpartpicker, they also have the Asus Z97 mobo for $54 off. That's $86 off your build right there, assuming you're going with an i7.

They also have a mid tower case going for $10 (reg price $40).

One thing about tigerdirect: If you are thinking about using any of their mail in rebates, google it first. I had issues and so have many others.
Just an fyi so you don't use the rebate as a factor in your purchase.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Worth it for the computer parts alone? perhaps.
Worth it if you also pick up bike parts? ALL ABOARD THE CHOOO CHOOO train of savings. CHOO CHOOOO

Very cool info here guys. I've never thought of it but may end up building a small computer just for the hell of it and learn something new.

Very cool info here guys. I've never thought of it but may end up building a small computer just for the hell of it and learn something new.

I've been building my own since the days of the Pentium 66. It's A LOT easier nowadays. Everything is practically plug and play now. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be had when you plan/order/assemble and see it come to life in the end.

I've been building my own since the days of the Pentium 66. It's A LOT easier nowadays. Everything is practically plug and play now. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be had when you plan/order/assemble and see it come to life in the end.

I think my only question would be what about the OS? Obviously there's Windows and Apple but I presume that LINUX would be the route to go on this type of build? I don't need anything fancy...honestly just something to run the web, email and the functionality of MS office so I can continue to do work.

Last time I looked in summer, for a part that cost $150 here, it costs $100 there. This was on newegg US.

Newegg Canada had a significant difference in price even though its the same damn Co.

Factor in all the parts needed to build a system & that's significant savings.

Just ridiculous!

Last time I bought a laptop, it was a top of the line Dell M4600 workstation. In Canada it STARTED at $3000 and did not include taxes or shipping and basic 1 year warranty. I bought it off the US site for $2800 with maxed out options, free shipping, no taxes, 5 year on site warranty. Similar options in Canada would've been around $5000. Then when I brought it here I called Dell and told them I moved to Canada and they transferred my warranty over.

The huge price difference made no sense.

I think my only question would be what about the OS? Obviously there's Windows and Apple but I presume that LINUX would be the route to go on this type of build? I don't need anything fancy...honestly just something to run the web, email and the functionality of MS office so I can continue to do work.
I paid $40 for an upgrade to Windows 8. Best $ ever spent
Last time I bought a laptop, it was a top of the line Dell M4600 workstation. In Canada it STARTED at $3000 and did not include taxes or shipping and basic 1 year warranty. I bought it off the US site for $2800 with maxed out options, free shipping, no taxes, 5 year on site warranty. Similar options in Canada would've been around $5000. Then when I brought it here I called Dell and told them I moved to Canada and they transferred my warranty over.

The huge price difference made no sense.
Yes I know. If I were to purchase my build over there I can easily save $400. Worth my time

I paid $40 for an upgrade to Windows 8. Best $ ever spent

Yes I know. If I were to purchase my build over there I can easily save $400. Worth my time

I was going to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Should I just go to 8 if the computer us able to?

I would go with 7. I hate everything about 8, I can't believe they have done so much to make it worse.

I don't mind 8, you can tweak it enough to mimic 7 in looks and it's faster. To each...

Mimico, I run dual-boot Win8 and Linux Mint on my laptops and home-built. Mint is easy to install from a usb drive and I didn't had any major install or hardware issues. I hear Ubuntu is also user-friendly.

If you like to tinker try out the Windows 10 technical preview. The performance gains are RIDICULOUS.

We put it on a 5 year old Macbook and it will now run Battlefield 4 on Medium settings. Put it on my 6 year old netbook and it runs faster than when it was new.

Hopefully they don't cock it up by the time it launches.

If you like to tinker try out the Windows 10 technical preview. The performance gains are RIDICULOUS.

We put it on a 5 year old Macbook and it will now run Battlefield 4 on Medium settings. Put it on my 6 year old netbook and it runs faster than when it was new.

Hopefully they don't cock it up by the time it launches.

Right now there is very little that would separate Windows 8.1 from the technical preview of Windows 10 performance-wise

Back
Top Bottom