Communicators...again | GTAMotorcycle.com

Communicators...again

Wingboy

Site Supporter
School me on a few things. All i really need is the ability to recieve phone calls.
After going thru previous threads, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between $300 units and $100 units.
Do they come with helmet speakers hardwired to them?
When using different speakers or buds, are they hardwired or bt?
My soon to be mine Pan Am has an infotainment system that will work fine with my Samsung A8, and i assume will work with any bt. Thanks.
Edit. I still don't know how to load music from my cd collection to my phone. So there's that.

School me on a few things. All i really need is the ability to recieve phone calls.
After going thru previous threads, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between $300 units and $100 units.
Do they come with helmet speakers hardwired to them?
When using different speakers or buds, are they hardwired or bt?
My soon to be mine Pan Am has an infotainment system that will work fine with my Samsung A8, and i assume will work with any bt. Thanks.
Edit. I still don't know how to load music from my cd collection to my phone. So there's that.
Lots to unpack here.

What is your preference? You can go wireless (bt) or wired to your phone/communicator. Something to consider is how your bike setup will factor into it. If it’s similar to the XR you will connect your phone and communicator to the bike separately. If so then you probably have to go wired connection from the communicator. You could use your own in ear plugs or helmet speakers.

How important is connecting to other people? If not, not need to spring for an expensive unit with modern bells and whistles. However its likely the more expensive communicators will have more robust helmet speakers then the cheap ones.

You can ‘rip’ music from CDs into music files on your computer and then easily transfer them to your phone. If you want to PM me we can get you on that.

The Pan Am can select and play music etc from a bt connected phone.(controls are on the right grip) So wireless is the way to go. If using your own ear buds, do they plug into the communicator?
I have used Windows Media player to rip the cd no problem. Just can't make a usb connection to the phone to get the ripped files onto it.

Wireless via Bluetooth will provide the best setup. Most communicators have hardwired speakers you mount in your helmet.
I know that HD does sell some private labelled helmets that come with the communicator already installed. That could be another option to consider if you are in the market for a new helmet. But something inexpensive might be a good start. Amazon Link

The Pan Am can select and play music etc from a bt connected phone.(controls are on the right grip) So wireless is the way to go. If using your own ear buds, do they plug into the communicator?
I have used Windows Media player to rip the cd no problem. Just can't make a usb connection to the phone to get the ripped files onto it.
Yes if you have 3.5mm wired ear buds they would plug into the communicator which would likely sync with the bike and your phone.

when you attach the phone via USB you should get a pop up notification on your phone. There should be an option for Files/tether/transfer. You should also see the device in windows explorer as an external HD. This may not happen if the phone is locked, so make sure you unlock it as well.

Most comm units have a radio built in, the higher end ones allow access through your phone. I also like to play off amazon music as I have the prime subscription. You can build playlists and the quality is decent. Spotify would also work.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Most comm units have a radio built in, the higher end ones allow access through your phone. I also like to play off amazon music as I have the prime subscription. You can build playlists and the quality is decent. Spotify would also work.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

One thing I like about Amazon Music is that I can download a bunch of songs to my phone, and then play them in “Offline Mode” so I’m not consuming phone data while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There seem to be two major players in the comms space: Sena and Cardo.

Sena seems to have the edge in terms of popularity, which gives you better interoperability with third party phones, GPS and bikes, because of the extensive field testing with their user base.

I've owned several Sena units from the SMH10 to the 20S EVO. For the most part they're well sorted, it's only when you start to push the functionality like adding too many comms to the mesh network, etc. that the rough edges begin to show. If it's just used for taking and receiving phone calls, the very basic SMH10 will do the job reliably and cost-effectively. It's bulletproof since it's older tech. We've had some problems with the newer 20S, the company had to upgrade us to the EVO to solve a few issues. Still not entirely bug-free though.

I don't have much experience with Cardo, someone else can talk to that product line.

One thing I like about Amazon Music is that I can download a bunch of songs to my phone, and then play them in “Offline Mode” so I’m not consuming phone data while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can do the same with Spotify.

One important feature that some don't have is being able to charge while in use. My Sena 20S does, I think the high end Cardo does as well.

One important feature that some don't have is being able to charge while in use. My Sena 20S does, I think the high end Cardo does as well.
For short rides maybe not such a big deal, but I find myself always charging mine while on rides, so that feature is a must have. Mine the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

For short rides maybe not such a big deal, but I find myself always charging mine while on rides, so that feature is a must have. Mine the Cardo Packtalk Bold.
Mine survives all day riding. The problem is when I forget to charge it before the next ride :(

Mine will last about 8 hours of continuous use which is fine for most riders, but I’m often on the bike for longer than that, so I keep a battery pack in my jacket.

Last edited:
Mine will last about 8 hours of continuous use which is fine for most riders, but I’m often on the bike for longer than that, so I keep a battery pack in my jacket.

Same, Sena taps out at about 8 hours. Some days that's just not enough, and of course I forget to charge it half the time.

I keep a tiny battery pack in my jacket that's good for 4-5 Sena charges, just string a usb cable up to it when needed.

I think mine lasts closer to 12 hours, but got unremovable battery

I think mine lasts closer to 12 hours, but got unremovable battery
Which kind do you have?
12hrs is pretty good. I would still need to charge it but that's definitely better than what mine does.

edit - sorry saw you have a slr2

I bought this Lexin off Amazon on black friday last year for 70 something $. I just needed something that could enable me to listen to music and recordings on the go, never used the comms as I am mostly solo. Lasts for about 6-7 hours and the sound quality is okay. I use it with earbuds and I can hear the audio quite clearly.

Back
Top Bottom