Cheese Thread | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheese Thread

Recommendations please:

What cheese would go best on a hot roast beef sandwich? Cheddar, Stilton, Blue, Feta??

The word processed negates the word cheese.

BTW Kraft was a Canadian that moved to the USA. He developed a way of taking unsaleable cheese and adding chemicals to unify it into edible synthetic sealants and gasket materials.

if it was me I’d use a nice Swiss cheese ....Stilton is nice but the taste will overpower the beef.

went to Oka QC last week
mainly because of the cheese

tour of the monastery grounds was interesting
the Sista's supporting the place with the production of that fromage for 200 years
the story is actually better than the cheese

the area in general was surprisingly interesting
rolling hills and valleys that support a thriving agricultural sector
and Oka has a huge-ass beach

looked like half of MTL was there for the day
so this Anglais headed back to the hills!

I enjoy a variety of tasty cheeses. Some favourites include Pecorino Romano as an alternative to parmigiano, Cambozola (Camembert and Gorgonzola mix that hits both creamy and blue buttons), and Manchego as an aperitivo.

But the undisputed, all-time, absolute king of cheese is Mozzarella di Bufala from Campania in Italy. It's got to be super fresh (same day, ideally), but it's like eating heaven. It's almost impossible to describe to those who haven't had the good stuff, as the usual adjectives sound too much like the bland and rubbery cow mozzarella we get here, but the creaminess, the richness and the silky texture are unlike anything else. I like it with a few slices of Prosciutto di Parma (fatty and tender, not like the vacuum-sealed, tough strips of leather that often gets called prosciutto here.) It's 100% worth a trip to Italy just for a taste, as it's all but impossible to find on this side of the Atlantic.

Having typed this out, I'm now checking flight prices and working out quarantine schedules...

there is buffalo mozzarella available here, wont be made same day but its a big jump from cow. Sadly , and i love italy, i'm not sure i'm going in the next couple years.

there is buffalo mozzarella available here, wont be made same day but its a big jump from cow. Sadly , and i love italy, i'm not sure i'm going in the next couple years.
iirc Saturdays 11 am wait at the deli counter at a Longo's. They bring out freshly made mozzarella. It's as good as you can get it here imho.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Any recommendations? I've tried a few packaged ones, and while far superior to packaged cow mozzarella, they're missing the magic of the fresh stuff. I would kill (or at least drive many hours) to find a local producer that does it justice...

(As for Italy, we're in the same boat, sadly. Between Covid and our son heading off to university, it's not in the cards for the immediate future. Our retirement plans include splitting our year there, so we'll just have to be patient...)

Want to weird out a guest? Make them a grilled cheese with black Gouda. IIRC it gets the colour and flavour from licorice.
If you want to really weird out a guest, serve them a silkie. Tastes like chicken, looks like charcoal.

silkie-broilers_03.jpg

I enjoy a variety of tasty cheeses. Some favourites include Pecorino Romano as an alternative to parmigiano, Cambozola (Camembert and Gorgonzola mix that hits both creamy and blue buttons), and Manchego as an aperitivo.

But the undisputed, all-time, absolute king of cheese is Mozzarella di Bufala from Campania in Italy. It's got to be super fresh (same day, ideally), but it's like eating heaven. It's almost impossible to describe to those who haven't had the good stuff, as the usual adjectives sound too much like the bland and rubbery cow mozzarella we get here, but the creaminess, the richness and the silky texture are unlike anything else. I like it with a few slices of Prosciutto di Parma (fatty and tender, not like the vacuum-sealed, tough strips of leather that often gets called prosciutto here.) It's 100% worth a trip to Italy just for a taste, as it's all but impossible to find on this side of the Atlantic.

Having typed this out, I'm now checking flight prices and working out quarantine schedules...

Colangelo grocery store in Scarborough.

They often times have fresh, and delicious Burrata, and they always have Prosciutto di parma.

Cut that cheese open, a little black pepper and olive oil on top, with the Prosciutto, = a match made in heaven...

Apparently making mozzarella at home isn’t that hard. I need to hunt out the recipe again but I think some higher end restaurants in Europe will make it at your table too.

Scadabush does an inhouse resteraunt demo every afternoon at 5, or did pre covid. Its a big production with a lot of stretching cheese and showboating. Most people don't realize a lot of cheese (soft cheese) is made at home , everywhere but Canada

Scadabush does an inhouse resteraunt demo every afternoon at 5, or did pre covid. Its a big production with a lot of stretching cheese and showboating. Most people don't realize a lot of cheese (soft cheese) is made at home , everywhere but Canada
Off topic a bit but a bunch of people I know raved about Scadabush. We went once. I didn't finish all my food. I NEVER don't finish all my food. And we all ordered different things so we could try a bunch of stuff.....I didn't like any if it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

being a cheese fan makes being in Latin America a challenge
they love this watery, soft, un-aged cheese called Queso Fresco

bloody awful stuff, salty and doesn't melt at all

the most expensive stuff in the shops is Queso Americano
10 bucks for 6 slices of fake cheese
anything Americano carries a premium, even if it sucks

was pleasantly surprised to find an Ecuadorian, aged, firm cheese
Queso Andino
reminds me of asiago cheddar, quite nice
and a really good deal at $10 for a 1kg wheel

queso.jpg

interesting, but don't know why you'd need/want to do that?
take perfectly serviceable cheap-ass cheddar and make that chemical schlop?

medium cheddar melts just fine on a burger or whatever

????

Didn't watch the whole thing, to be fair, as the description of where processed cheese comes from was quite enough.

Basically, garbage + sodium phosphate = processed cheese.
I can't stand plastic cheese. My kids have never eaten it. My five year old likes Baldersons 4 yo cheddar. Thankfully he is ok with cheap marble most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom