check your pressure or risk death | GTAMotorcycle.com

check your pressure or risk death

-D-

Banned
The weather has fluctuated significantly so what you put in weeks ago likely has changed, especially is you are using gas station pumps...due to condensation/moisture in the tank that you unknowingly added to your tire.

Many ppl don't realize their bikes don't handle properly or they have a hard time steering.
Check your tire pressure with a proper gauge NOT the one at the gas station.
Most sport bikes suggest 36psi front and 42psi rear...I tend to subtract 5psi from each tire for general street use.
Also look carefully for small bulges and cracks, if you see them, change your tire asap.

Also check your blood pressure or risk death.:p

This should be checked once a week or every ride if you only ride occasionally.

Most sport bikes suggest 36psi front and 42psi rear...I tend to subtract 5psi from each tire for general street use.

Why wouldn't you run the stock specs? If you are running 5 below all the time, you are always running under-inflated.

Why wouldn't you run the stock specs? If you are running 5 below all the time, you are always running under-inflated.

presuming you are serious

it depends on:
the type of tire and brand
your weight
weight of gear on bike (bags and such)
type of riding you are doing...all highway road trip or tail of the dragon riding
road temps...cold roads I lower pressure a bit more
weather -- heavy rain, decrease a little pressure to give you a bit more contact patch...inflate later
stunting

I can't run 5 psi below, handles like crap even with that little below. Even a couple of psi low and I can feel it.

I have a built in TPMS on my BMW, so my display always shows the front and rear PSI. I admit I never really paid much attention in the past before having it, but now I am always checking it.

I agree with the point you're trying to make regarding people checking tire pressure, as it does have a big part in handling and safety. However....

Red - That's a little presumptuous. People should check their manual, swingarm or VIN plate to get the manufacturers recommended tire pressures.

Blue - Why? What makes you think that you have better knowledge than an international company's R&D department that they have spent millions of dollars on?

People should not check their manual, swingarm or Vin plate, instead they should check the manufacturer recommended PSI for the specific tires currently on the bike which depending of the age of the bike, most likely will not be the stock tires.

Remember most labels on your bike are not there for your safety, they are there for the manufacturer to cover their ***. Sometimes covering their *** and rider safety converge but not always.

This reminds me, I should make sure I don't put my head inside the washing machine while operating.

I agree with the point you're trying to make regarding people checking tire pressure, as it does have a big part in handling and safety. However....

Red - That's a little presumptuous. People should check their manual, swingarm or VIN plate to get the manufacturers recommended tire pressures.

Blue - Why? What makes you think that you have better knowledge than an international company's R&D department that they have spent millions of dollars on?

Last edited:
Tire manufacturers aren't going to list a gazillion recommended tire pressures for every possible bike and riding scenario. They put maximum ratings (e.g. load, inflation pressure) on the sidewall. As with cars, you should not inflate your tires to what the sidewall says but should instead refer to the accompanying documents (the owners manual, the sticker on the swingarm etc) for the bike itself. If those values exceed what's on the sidewall, you're doing something wrong...

#2-3 and I'll let it grow a bit in the winter to keep me warm. I always have a groomed facial beard and never on the neck.

It's nice and simple.

People should not check their manual, swingarm or Vin plate, instead they should check the manufacturer recommended PSI for the specific tires currently on the bike which depending of the age of the bike, most likely will not be the stock tires.

That is some of the worst advice I have seen here!!
The same tire can be used on so many different bikes which vary in weight, power and purpose that a tire manufacturer simply cannot account for every detail.
A tire will simply tell you what the maximum pressure is.
Why would anyone run the max pressure on any tire on any vehicle???

Stick with your bike manufacturers recommended tire size and pressure for every day riding. They have spent the money on R&D and know what they are talking about.

Remember most labels on your bike are not there for your safety, they are there for the manufacturer to cover their ***. Sometimes covering their *** and rider safety converge but not always.

This reminds me, I should make sure I don't put my head inside the washing machine while operating.

This is an extremely pessimistic view of what engineers do.

As an engineer myself, with automotive industry experience, I recommend that you follow the recommended tyre pressure as specified on the swingarm (or in the manual), provided that you are still running the stock tyre size. That pressure accounts for all weather uses and types of loading that your motorcycle was intended for. If you're using your bike outside of what the manufacturer would consider "normal usage", then figure out the pressures for yourself. Rain and cool would not count as "abnormal usage" IMO. YMMV

Stunting shouldn't be included here, as that's a highly specialized type of riding.

+1 Tire sidewall states MAX pressure. Owner's manual/label on bike states recommended pressure for use. i.e. whether, solo or 2 up or with load. For example mine states rear pressure as 36psi for solo use and up to 42 for max load.

So you guys will put the same tire pressure on a set of Dunlops GPA Pros and a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s?

I never said tire wall, I said tire manufacturer.

More than willing to admit I am wrong if I am but this makes no sense to me. I have always asked the guy that sells me the tires for the pressure and put in what he tells me

Last edited:
I am talking street, track is implied.

On Dunlop's site for the GPA Pro is the following

"Note: For street riding, follow the motorcycle owner’s manual for air pressure recommendations. For track or race use, optimal air pressures vary with track conditions but general suggested air pressures are above."

(emphasis mine.)

I've had my last bike for 12 years and a few psi off the manufacturer recommendation make a big difference in handling that I can feel. So from experience, I stick to their psi recommendations.

ZX600's advice applies to really old bikes like mine. Yamaha said 26F-28R back in 1985, while Avon says 32F-36R (not on the sidewall you funny men, but in the support documentation.) 26F/28R handled like garbage and produced terrible fuel economy.

check your pressure or risk death

this is way over the top ....scaremongering.
Yeah - check the pressure...I have a TPMS but "risking death" due to a couple lb of tire pressure variance......not a chance.

You can certainly feel a few psi difference and FYI the pressure when warm usually rises 3-5 lb.
Off road riders regularly take their dual sport down to 12 psi for better traction.

TPMS is a nice thing tho. The Burgman used to lose air regularly ( slowly ) on rear tires...so knowing helps. The Strom and CBF don't budge.

Back
Top Bottom