Cheapest Insurance for 50 year old dad and 17 year old son | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheapest Insurance for 50 year old dad and 17 year old son

I too aced the testing I went through when I came back to riding, but testing aside I'm not kidding myself that the bits leading up to them didn't teach me some new stuff or help knock the rust off or hone existing skills.

Anyhow I'll leave things as is from this point. Let us know those quotes.

what in the world are you donkeys talking about, noone here even sounds like they can bargain for crap. personally i have a litre bike that i ride (CBR 1000RR) evry day and im 32 yers old. the insurance is not bad and i have no problem riding the hell out of it with loads of riding expirence starting from when i was a kid. the bike isnt even that hard to ride and its really fun too. a kid like you should live a little with your life you only got one. i 100 % think your dad can teach you how to properly ride it if hes got that many years of riding under hi s belt seeing how im doing the same for my kid right now bottom line is Find an insurance company that goes cheap (stat efarm) and argue them down til they give you the price you want. thats what i did and it took me a good month and a half but it was all worth it since i got my monthly down $180. anyways best of luck to you and your dad on getting the bike and im looking forward to you guys rippin her down the highways together!

Update: I contacted a number of insurance agents today and left my info with them, I expect to receive all the quotes by Monday or Tuesday. From there I'll post the best ones. Stay tuned!

Update: I contacted a number of insurance agents today and left my info with them, I expect to receive all the quotes by Monday or Tuesday. From there I'll post the best ones. Stay tuned!

I hope you like KY jelly

..... noone here even sounds like they can bargain for crap.......i got my monthly down $180.....

Never heard of bargaining down an ins. co. for rates. They tend to stick at their rates. $180/mt isn't low to me, unless it's a car and bike for full coverage.

What bike did you settle on and request quotes for?

I asked each agent I contacted to quote us for a list of bikes, with the same coverage ($1M liability, $1000 deductible for collision and comprehensive). The bikes are: CBR600RR, FZ-07, KTM 690 Enduro R, SV650, and a Ninja 300 for the hell of it. Model years vary, you'll see them when I post the quotes because I don't remember all of them off the top of my head.

Most insurance companies are *recommending* to carry $2M liability
A milly ain't nothing anymore. Actually, a couple places I called would not insure for less than the $2M. Keep that in mind.

Sent from the Purple Zone

We should be getting an update any moment.......

lol
Maybe he see's the light after speaking to the insurance agents and brokers

I'm back!

Ok so I have the quotes and I must say, I am very happy with most of them. Shoutout to Paul and Chris South at Surnet Insurance for providing all the best rates!

Unfortunately, the supersport is not insureable through Aviva without at least 4 years riding experience. We are still hunting for a reasonable quote for the supersport (all the ones I got were over $10K).

Here are the yearly quotes, all with Aviva, all with $1M liability and a $500 deductible with both comprehensive and collision:

2015 FZ-07: $1220
2015 690 Enduro R: $1173
2008 SV650: $1163
2015 Ninja 300: $907

No KY Jelly needed. :D

I'm back!

Ok so I have the quotes and I must say, I am very happy with most of them. Shoutout to Paul and Chris South at Surnet Insurance for providing all the best rates!

Unfortunately, the supersport is not insureable through Aviva without at least 4 years riding experience. We are still hunting for a reasonable quote for the supersport (all the ones I got were over $10K).

Here are the yearly quotes, all with Aviva, all with $1M liability and a $500 deductible with both comprehensive and collision:

Impressive, and just to confirm, this is with your father being the primary on the policy, and you being the occasional driver also listed on the policy riding the same bike ?

ohhh but why didn't you quote the ss numbers other than from AVIVA, I am sure other companies did not have the same restrictions did they

and I thought there was more than 4 years of riding history, sorry did not go back to reading the first post...

Last edited:
I'm back!

Those rates are for his dad

Rates are for my dad as the primary and me as the secondary, that is correct.

Like I said, I did find a few insurers that would at least be able to write the policy, but at astronomical rates ($10K+).

And just to confirm, my father and I both got our M2 in December 2015 so there is less than 4 years riding experience which is why the supersport was unable to be insured through Aviva.

I'm back!

Rates are for my dad as the primary and me as the secondary, that is correct.

Like I said, I did find a few insurers that would at least be able to write the policy, but at astronomical rates ($10K+).

And just to confirm, my father and I both got our M2 in December 2015 so there is less than 4 years riding experience which is why the supersport was unable to be insured through Aviva.

If this is what one can get, from the guys mentioned in your post,,,,,,I will be giving them a call today.......

I got a 30 year old bike, I should be able to get my son and me insured for the same if not less then.....cause when I was looking, rates like the ones posted were not even a hope in hell....

Hey Paul and Chris, expect a phone call today.....I want cheap rates as well.......me paying 1200 bucks on a bike on my own that is 12 years old seems wrong compared to the prices mentioned above, and I am with Desjardins......

Miracles do exist......let's see if they fall my way as well....

Last edited:

this is a great deal for 2 new riders

I pay around than that for just me, 25 years licensed for a similar bike

will have to shop around, my broker has never been too good with bikes

Yeah, I highly recommend Paul and Chris for bike insurance. I had contacted them previously for our XT225 in 2015 and at the time they also provided the best rate! My dad jumped the gun though and got insurance with TD before I had a chance to tell him about the quotes Chris sent. Oh well. When we get a bike this season though, Chris is going to be the first one to know haha.

In any regard, when it comes to insurance my dad has always told me being loyal to one insurer doesn't really matter to them, so why should it to us? Every time any insurance (house, life, auto, etc.) is up for renewal, my dad always contacts his broker and frequently ends up switching over to a new company with a better rate. There's always deals out there! :D

Back
Top Bottom