Cheap motorcycle to own (advice) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap motorcycle to own (advice)

Copiye

im 17 and just got my m2 and finished the motorcycle safety course.
any recommendations for a relatively cheap motorcycle to buy and to insure
I don't work a job but I do get some money from a online business to pay for insurance

There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle for a 17 year old in ontario. As good as is gets will be something like a <300cc bike (street oriented or dual sport). Sadly, you're looking at $2000+ to buy (bottom end for 125, 250 or greater will be ~double). Gear to try to protect you will be 500+. Insurance will be >$1000 and can often be more than the price of the bike.

Good luck. Ride safe.

There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle for a 17 year old in ontario. As good as is gets will be something like a $1000 and can often be more than the price of the bike.

Good luck. Ride safe.

This is pretty on spot, although at 17-20 as a first year rider, I would hike that insurance to at least $2000/y, and gear if gotten used and on sales for $500 sounds reasonable with $150 new full face lids out there. For $2000 on a moto, expect cosmetic damage (at least)

*Edit: to answer the rest of your question; cbr125 or rebel 250s may be your best bet for economical starters, or a kawi Eliminator if that's your style and you can find one... don't do a hyosung because of price.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

*Edit: to answer the rest of your question; cbr125 or rebel 250s may be your best bet for economical starters, or a kawi Eliminator if that's your style and you can find one... don't do a hyosung because of price.
Don't do a Hyosung because they're junk and no longer supported here in Canada.

Suzuki Dr 200.
this. dual sports and scooters would be your cheapest bet.
ride a couple of years and then move up as insurance goes down.

(also, might help to provide a number so we can tell you if it's realistic. ex: $2000 bike and $1000/yr insurance is definitely not happening)

If you have any mechanical aptitude, find an older 125-150 enduro (Suzuki SP125, Honda XL125) for the cheapest motorcycle insurance. Another option is to complete your M2 and get a Scooter or Moped to tick off some insurance and experience time without breaking the bank. Won't be SS cool, but it will be cooler than your friends' skateboards and pedal bikes.

I paid a little over 3k for a fairly new honda cb300f with abs. Great bike. 286cc is plenty. Only time I feel I could use more is on the 401. ABS has already saved me more than once. ABS is absolutely essential for a new street rider.

If I had to do it over again I'd still start on a cb300.

Insurance through desjardins for a 50year old m2 + a 17 yr old m2 = $2k/yr . Doubt you can do better than $1500 for insurance.

If you can't afford the 5-6k start up costs for a 300 class, then get a scooter if you're urban or small cc dualsport or dirt bike if you're rural. I had a 50cc scooter that did 80kph / 100mpg and was a hoot to drive.

We need more details to be able to answer this properly. Budget, location and riding dreams would be a good start.

Gear > bike, you can bust your head open on a bicycle. I had good luck with Five/Revit for gloves, being preformed helps with holding the grips or engaging controls. Palm sliders on my Five gloves already saved my wrists twice. Boots with ankle protection did the same for my ... ankles. Something with elbow and shoulder pads also helps, can't recall what else hit the ground and in what order. When it happens, it happens pretty fast.

Desjardins insurance was the cheapest for me when compared to Riders Plus, TD, Allstate. I'm at just over $900/yr. Keeping in mind that this is for a 800cc, early 2000's cruiser, and I'm in my 30's. I'm pretty sure it's an extra $500-600 if it's a sports bike, and an extra $500-600 for every "R" in the model number.

+1 for Honda - it just keep going no matter what!
CBR125 or 250
What he said! A buddy of mine has a 80's Honda in rough shape. Leaky rad, old oil, push button, vroom vroom, just won't die. Got to try a CBR250 last year and it's a fun ride. Plus it can easily do +100kmh so you can get some highway practice in as your confidence builds.

As usual, the answer is a Grom.
I loved this thing during my M2 course, I just couldn't justify having two bikes this early on into it. Wife was already worried enough with one bike. There was nothing that seemed impossible on this bike (except reaching highway speeds), surprisingly comfortable to ride, and just a blast to rip around on. I just feel like you need this AND something else, because of the top speed.

... riding dreams ...
Often.

Last edited:
Check the rates for some supermotos like the Suzuki DR-Z400SM or Yamaha WR-250X. Only problem is people are hanging on to them or they're asking ridiculous amounts. At least you can still buy the DR-Z new, but at around $8000.

imo your options are:
-Get a grom
or
-Look at track days.
Insurance wont be affordable for a while.
Track days arent cheap either, but you become a better rider, and can ride whatever you like, with no insurance or cops.

Back
Top Bottom