CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says

Sorry nobbie, I should have said that article. I was trying to be humorous and slightly sarcastic regarding generalizations , but failed on the humorous part.

But the whole point here should be that we are NOT experiencing a high fatality rate for motorcycles. The OPP are just playing the media. "Highest in seven years"? Seven years ago we had an AVERAGE year for fatalities. If it smells like it, guess what it is? Today's motorcyclists are the safest there has ever been:

Last edited:
But the whole point here should be that we are NOT experiencing a high fatality rate for motorcycles. The OPP are just playing the media. "Highest in seven years"? Seven years ago we had an AVERAGE year for fatalities. If it smells like it, guess what it is? Today's motorcyclists are the safest there has ever been:
Is that chart based on Ontario statistics?

Most recent tc data I could find quickly (2011) shows pedestrian fatalities, by percentage, are rising.......perhaps an enforced curfew is in order to keep people off the streets ...safety and all.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/TrafficCollisionStatisitcs_2011.pdf

Seriously though, looks like actual fatalities down across the board as sample size drops over timeline....my guess is better safety tech all round.

Last edited:
In Nova Scotia, more riders bring registered, but the numbers are decreasing.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/nov...torcycle-clubs-pleading-for-caution-1.2746376

So either it's Toronto cagers or riders or combination of both are getting worse.

Both.

While cagers suck, a lot of riders also suck. Back when I first started riding, I thought what I now think is ****ing stupid to be cool. Part of it is that riders aren't being educated that:

1. Starting on an SS is stupid because you cannot handle it. This shouldn't be sugar coated and can easily be proven by giving a newbie a 600SS and an experienced rider a 125.
2. Motorcycles are very unforgiving machines, much more than their 4 wheel counter parts. Investing in your ability to ride is more important than anything else.

If these two things were hammered into new riders and our licensing system didn't allow newbies to loop Hayabusas as their first bike, we'd have much less crashes and idiots.

.....but then we still have to deal with people who buy motorcycles with no license, insurance, and go off themselves on the 401.

油井緋色;2218995 said:
Both.

While cagers suck, a lot of riders also suck. Back when I first started riding, I thought what I now think is ****ing stupid to be cool. Part of it is that riders aren't being educated that:

1. Starting on an SS is stupid because you cannot handle it. This shouldn't be sugar coated and can easily be proven by giving a newbie a 600SS and an experienced rider a 125.
2. Motorcycles are very unforgiving machines, much more than their 4 wheel counter parts. Investing in your ability to ride is more important than anything else.

If these two things were hammered into new riders and our licensing system didn't allow newbies to loop Hayabusas as their first bike, we'd have much less crashes and idiots.

.....but then we still have to deal with people who buy motorcycles with no license, insurance, and go off themselves on the 401.

I think in Europe, there is also a limit on displacement in their graduated licensing program. I wonder if that has resulted in reduced accidents.

I think in Europe, there is also a limit on displacement in their graduated licensing program. I wonder if that has resulted in reduced accidents.

In Australia and NZ too. In NZ you are restricted to 250cc and smaller for the first 2yrs or so. This gets reduced if you take a motorcycle safety course. When under the first restriction you cant ride at night or take passengers. we had a large market for 250cc bikes. I remember when 600cc was consider "huge". We dont have the super slab, hell, in Christchurch I dont think they even have a highway.

UK is even more restrictive than engine size. It's power-based. My RS125 isn't even usable to a new rider if not restricted for power.

UK is even more restrictive than engine size. It's power-based. My RS125 isn't even usable to a new rider if not restricted for power.
Similar to Germany. At 18 you can only ride a bike with up 47 HP for the first two years then you can move up.
On the other hand I you're over 24 there are no restrictions and you can ride a bike up to 14 hp and governed to max 80 km/h at age 16.
Keep in mind that you can only get a car drivers license at 18.

I think some riders are lacking a lot of skill. Take a look at the amount of threads that pop up asking for the M2 exit route.

I see riders on the highway weaving in and out with a passenger while relying on the barely visible integrated turn signals and their loud pipe. I also see riders tailgating in all sorts of traffic, lane splitting down a shoulder, filtering and lots of other bone headed moves.

We are responsible for our own safety. Don't tailgate, don't watch the car in front of you (watch 2 or 3 cars in front to anticipate changes in traffic), wear visible gear at night, pick and choose times to speed and don't be a block head.

I think some riders are lacking a lot of skill. Take a look at the amount of threads that pop up asking for the M2 exit route.

I see riders on the highway weaving in and out with a passenger while relying on the barely visible integrated turn signals and their loud pipe. I also see riders tailgating in all sorts of traffic, lane splitting down a shoulder, filtering and lots of other bone headed moves.

We are responsible for our own safety. Don't tailgate, don't watch the car in front of you (watch 2 or 3 cars in front to anticipate changes in traffic), wear visible gear at night, pick and choose times to speed and don't be a block head.

Common sense. That's not allowed yo. Gotta rep my hood, roll hard with the homies in my vest showin out my mad skills on the 401 yo! Legalize splitting I know how to do it! The shoulder is for when all the cages are going too slow. 240 fo life yo! Know what I'm sayin

Everything you said is right on. Tons of idiots need to learn they're not rossi, not invincible and I agree with everyone having to take a course and be restricted by cc's for a license. For those that still screw it up there's darwin

I'm all for rider training but displacement restrictions..sorry, I can't support the nanny state. I'll leave this to the forces of nature...insurance and Darwin.

It's personal responsibility but too many people will cry to the government to save us from ourselves.

I'm all for rider training but displacement restrictions..sorry, I can't support the nanny state. I'll leave this to the forces of nature...insurance and Darwin.

I can. I want Southern Ontario's motorsport scene to be as big as it is in Europe and the states. Part of the reason why it's so tiny is because our government shoves down our throats that "speed is bad" as if there's a real life Pikachu that spawns and throws a lightning ball at you whenever you go 200+.

The government should, instead, focus on educating drivers and riders that the weakest link in a vehicle is the operator and that investing in your skills is a must by restricting CCs. If it were me, I'd restrict full license privileges to those that complete a race course. This would boost our motorsport scene along with increasing operator skill and lower insurance rates with full licenses.

.........................but of course, I'm just dreaming because that would never happen.

Back
Top Bottom