Carbon emissions | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carbon emissions

Gonna need some back up for this one. Sounds wrong on both counts.
Absolutely Tim. I did write an incorrect statement that both temperature extreme related deaths have been in decline for decades. I did not intend to make things better than they are or conflate things and apologize.

In fact, deaths related to heat has gone up while deaths related to cold has decreased.

Here is a quote from a Forbes article and will post the link from Forbes for the complete article for everyone to reference.

“Interestingly, during the 2000-2019 period examined in the study, while heat-related deaths rose, deaths from cold exposure fell. And they decreased by a larger amount than the increase in heat-related fatalities. Overall, researchers estimated that approximately 650,000 fewer people worldwide died from temperature exposure during the 2000-2019 period than in the 1980s and 1990s.”

You can access the article for free by giving your email and they provide a trial of 4 articles to read for free.

Edit. If I remember correctly overall cold related deaths are 90% higher than heat related. Here is a link to the article from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...ive/2023/hot-cold-extreme-temperature-deaths/

“In most places, the temperature is more often too cold than too hot, which helps explain why more than 90 percent of temperature-related deaths were from cold, according to the Lancet study. On every continent, cold deaths surpassed heat deaths.”

Last edited:
5000 lbs? Tokyo to LAX at about 500 gal/hour for 12 hours. LAX to Vegas at ~350 gal/hr for an hour. That is ~6500 gallons of fuel or ~52,000 lbs.
What is the carbon footprint of all of her worldwide fans traveling to her shows in their 4X4 diesel pickups?

If carbon is so sacred, for less than the price of tickets, people could buy HD TVs and watch from home, almost zero emissions. In reality the venues are so large a lot of the attendees watch it on screens anyway. Sorry no bragging rights about being there.

Note: It's called the entertainment INDUSTRY. It's about making money, not having a backyard jam session for the folks.

Really don't think her fanbase these days are the type driving diesel trucks

Last edited:
Enjoy your paper straws peasants. We’re jetting to and from the Super Bowl…

While I’m all for conservation, environmental responsibility, and doing what one can to help the environment…let’s not fool ourselves.

It’s not an individual that is causing the main issues, it’s the wealthy and major corporations (ie: cargo ships) which are the primary polluters.

EDIT: let’s also not forget that while we get carbon taxes to infinite by JTs feel good story, many other nations don’t give a hoot about climate change and continue to pollute at higher and higher levels. Looking at you India and China.

Anyone who can afford the lifestyle will never change it. All beit the ones pushing the soundbites
One of the greatest lies the industry made is that we, as individual consumers, can make a difference and prevent global warming.

We can’t. We won’t. And until the industry pivots to a different model (build local), there will be nothing changing.

One of the greatest lies the industry made is that we, as individual consumers, can make a difference and prevent global warming.

We can’t. We won’t. And until the industry pivots to a different model (build local), there will be nothing changing.
One long term grass roots change is smoking.

50 ish years ago our sales meeting room was so smoke filled that we removed ceiling tiles to let some of it drift into the warehouse. If you asked for a non smoking table in a restaurant you got seated between the kitchen and the toilets. You could smoke cigarettes on airplanes and in theaters.

Now a non smoker can go home from work without smelling like an ashtray.

Cars are far safer. Unfortunately the drivers aren't and they skew the stats.

Cars last longer. Perforation rust sent most cars to the scrap heap in seven years.

Any others?

The world leaders have gamed the system. The rich and developed countries want to show how good we are at being green. Let’s be leaders and show them we are the best! Set the example for the rest!

However, our government is content to allow our natural resources get shipped to those bad countries to make the stuff we all want and need. Then our government points the finger at those very countries we get the stuff from and tell them to do better and should be more like us!

Solar? Not bad for those that boondock but, as a consistent and stable energy source? I’m not sure? They can be damaged by hail or debris and what happens when they age out too? Will they get recycled? Who is going to supply us with more? How about the cost of replacement?
You need not be. I checked, the sun comes up every day. (and they invented a thing called a battery that can store the power in case it's not sunny)

As for hail?? Golf ball sized hail trashed the roof of my car but not the solar panels on my roof.

Sorry for the interruption please carry on.

You need not be. I checked, the sun comes up every day. (and they invented a thing called a battery that can store the power in case it's not sunny)

As for hail?? Golf ball sized hail trashed the roof of my car but not the solar panels on my roof.

Sorry for the interruption please carry on.
Yeah but, what about the long dark cold winter days and use up that battery and those darn clouds just won’t let the sun come through? I wish I could be as optimistic as you and spend a considerable amount of money on those solar panels and integration. I’ve had tree limbs blow from neighbours trees and go through my hot tub cover. Maybe not something to worry about for solar panels? I camp and run a trailer off battery power successfully. Just not sure about the energy demands of a home that is wired for 120/240 VAC and 15 amp circuits. Maybe keep the lights on but, I’d worry about high demand use like cooking, water heater and using the cloths dryer. The fridge should be ok.

Sounds like a lot more worrying than needed.
I'll be switching over to net metering when my microFIT contract ends (Thanks for $100K Ms Wynn) and then I'll let you know how it works.

Yeah but, what about the long dark cold winter days and use up that battery and those darn clouds just won’t let the sun come through? I wish I could be as optimistic as you and spend a considerable amount of money on those solar panels and integration. I’ve had tree limbs blow from neighbours trees and go through my hot tub cover. Maybe not something to worry about for solar panels? I camp and run a trailer off battery power successfully. Just not sure about the energy demands of a home that is wired for 120/240 VAC and 15 amp circuits. Maybe keep the lights on but, I’d worry about high demand use like cooking, water heater and using the cloths dryer. The fridge should be ok.
I'm not sure how to read your problem. Cutting down all the trees makes it safer for your hot tub and solar panels but trees eat CO2 and provide cooling.

With the trees gone solar panels can be more efficient and could then power an air conditioner that wouldn't be needed if the trees hadn't been cut down.

Third world countries envy our indoor plumbing but we choose to take a bath outside.

Posted tongue in cheek.

Well, I’ve been looking into solar energy for our home and it looks promising. Thanks for that Tim!

I could jinx myself as we just sold our home and looking at a century home that has hot water radiant heat. It’s completely updated with a new modern low and slow burn boiler to reduce cycling. Still burns Natural gas. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, the offer hasn't been accepted so, it might not be our house. I did look at how solar panels would do and it looks promising. The roof is new so that is good. The best roof area for panel locations are east and west facing. Trees are set far back on the property so, not a factor. 😆. It’s said south facing panels work best but the front of the house faces south. Cosmetically it wouldn’t look good IMO. If my math is correct and based on internet provided cost estimates, it’s in the $25k-$30k to go solar.

The good thing environmentally is the home location in close proximity to amenities. The LCBO and grocery store are walking distance. 😉

Well, I’ve been looking into solar energy for our home and it looks promising. Thanks for that Tim!

I could jinx myself as we just sold our home and looking at a century home that has hot water radiant heat. It’s completely updated with a new modern low and slow burn boiler to reduce cycling. Still burns Natural gas. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, the offer hasn't been accepted so, it might not be our house. I did look at how solar panels would do and it looks promising. The roof is new so that is good. The best roof area for panel locations are east and west facing. Trees are set far back on the property so, not a factor. 😆. It’s said south facing panels work best but the front of the house faces south. Cosmetically it wouldn’t look good IMO. If my math is correct and based on internet provided cost estimates, it’s in the $25k-$30k to go solar.

The good thing environmentally is the home location in close proximity to amenities. The LCBO and grocery store are walking distance. 😉
Lots of polished looking crooks in the solar sector. If you get serious, send me a pm with area where new house is and I can get you some names of trusted contractors in that area. I know some people that work for a large solar company so they have a good idea who people should talk to or stay away from.

I did the calculations for installing a DIY kit with grid tie at .039/kwh (not sure if this is the current rate) and it works out to $1700/year in power savings for me. Without grid tie somewhere around $750/year. A DIY setup for my roof would be about $10K, so the payoff would be about 6 years.

Does anyone know what grid tie is paying per kwh right now?

Might be time to pull the trigger.

Does anyone know what grid tie is paying per kwh right now?

"Paying" is only partially accurate. All current grid-tied systems are net metering. You can't reduce your power bills to less than zero over iirc a 12 month period (eg, income is not possible but you can avoid paying for electricity).

Back
Top Bottom