Canadian Rider Comes Home to Shock! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian Rider Comes Home to Shock!

I heard somewhere that if a hospital has your auto insurance information after an accident your insurance pays for it rather than OHIP. Insurance also pays for emergency services in the same situation.

Maybe I heard wrong, though.

I also thought that coverage for things like rehab was an optional addition to insurance but I honestly haven't looked into it. I have whatever the most basic coverage The Personal will provide other than adding comprehensive.

OHIP covers things like surgery and seeing of doctors but it doesn't cover "most" of the rehab, one needs after a collision IE Physio, Chiropractor, Massage/laser treatments etc etc. So yes your insurer picks up all those, (unless of course you have work place insurance then they demand you apply for coverage there first, and the auto policy is the "last resort"). Just posting to clarify as I am dealing with all this right now with my ongoing injuries.

If that is the case, and it likely is, then those of us with benefits from work should get a discount for auto insurance since our existing coverage would pay first anyway.

^ wouldn't that cut into insurance profits?

If you have a truck, the bike will be more fuel efficient hands down.
My Ranger, 4 cylinder, at best, uses 8.5 litres per 100km.
My KTM RC8r, at best, uses 5.5 litres per 100km.

Smaller engine and lower fuel consumption doesn't necessarily automatically translate to more efficient, or cleaner.

Look at the comparison of 20 minutes of lawnmower emissions translated to miles a car would cover for the same amount of emissions. The numbers are pretty interesting and blow the small engine / lower fuel consumption argument clear out of the water.

Small engines with with emissions controls may skew those figures but not always to the point of equality. Simple fact is car/truck engines are held to standards (and contain technology) that most other engines don't. A cat stuck to the exhaust of an otherwise still low-tech generally "dirty" engine may lower emissions, sure, but the standards in most places (short of CA) still allow most small engines (including bikes) to pollute vastly more than would be acceptable/legal for almost all other on-road engines in all areas of NA.

Last edited:
so i was thinking of upgrading to a vfr800 ...did an online quote and it was a very reasonable 689/yr last year... i called them (TD) to confirm and the new premium is 1402/yr...more than double !
i cant think of another industry other than big pharma where this kind of obscene price increase is allowed or tolerated.....welcome to onterrible indeed !

so i was thinking of upgrading to a vfr800 ...did an online quote and it was a very reasonable 689/yr last year... i called them (TD) to confirm and the new premium is 1402/yr...more than double !
i cant think of another industry other than big pharma where this kind of obscene price increase is allowed or tolerated.....welcome to onterrible indeed !

Did you ask what the reason for the increase was by any chance?

Reason? They don't need a reason, they can make anything up and you have no choice. That's the bottom line.
Why are we paying so much at the pumps when crude is down? Same reason.

Did you ask what the reason for the increase was by any chance?

you know, i was so shocked by the amount of the increase i completely forgot.:confused:
its funny, the federal liberals won an election by promising to run deficits in order to stimulate the economy with more infrastructure spending. what about stimulating the economy by leaving more money in peoples pockets ?
i was ready to buy , but not anymore. So now honda canada loses a sale, the dealer loses business and gas stations, b and b's, campgrounds and restaurants along the better roads up north lose business cause i wont be riding there...im sure theres alot of folks in the same boat, putting off or forgetting about purchasing a bike due to the ridiculous premiums... how is that good for the economy ??
its complete bull, insurers are gouging the public and the govt is looking the other way, there should be a cap on the percentage your premium can be raised year to year if you had no claims or tickets.

Last edited:
I rate efficiency on how far I can go at what cost. My bike is more efficient when it's just me. Anything more than 1+luggage, I'd use the car any ways.

welcome to onterrible....heres a picture of wynne describing how big the premium increase will be next year..

maxresdefault.jpg
Lol... Couldn't stop laughing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shes actually describing how big a pile of money the auto insce lobby gave the liberal party last election :0)

"My motorcycle was assessed as if it was new — $20,000. But if I have a crash and the 12-year-old bike is destroyed, will I receive $20,000? Of course not. The payout would be more like $4,000 or $5,000. For the insurance companies in Ontario, this must the gift that keeps on giving."

is this true? I don't remember seeing this, but I admit, I hadn't really closely read my policy (presumably like most people).

I find it interesting that the mandatory part of insurance costs the most.

When I was with TD in 2014 I was paying around $1200. About $1000 of that was for Accident benefits and that was mandatory. Comp, Fire, Theft was only around $80.

The chances of TD ever having to pay out accident benefits under Ontario's MIG guidelines are negligible as in general that pushed back on your employer until you exhaust those benefits, and if they do, their liability is limited to $3500. The only thing they are really on the hook for is for catastrophic injuries which are fewer on a motorcycle as many serious accidents may end in death.

Just being my usual cynical self, but do you think they charge so much for accident benefits because they can? If they put fire and theft up to $1000 everyone would just give them the finger :)

I'm with Geico now and I have to say they are brilliant. Not only the price but the customer service is fantastic.

They even have things like newsletters that have local motorcycling events, discounts, coupons. Can you imagine going into GP Bikes and getting your 10% TD insurance discount? :)
Geico is in Canada? I was hoping for this. You must be American?

"My motorcycle was assessed as if it was new — $20,000. But if I have a crash and the 12-year-old bike is destroyed, will I receive $20,000? Of course not. The payout would be more like $4,000 or $5,000. For the insurance companies in Ontario, this must the gift that keeps on giving."

is this true? I don't remember seeing this, but I admit, I hadn't really closely read my policy (presumably like most people).

Insurance pays book value, basically...so no, your old bike will not yield it's original value in an insurance payout.

If you're the original owner and the bike/vehicle is brand new..there are depreciation waivers that can be added to your policy that will cover the full non-depreciated value of the vehicle if it's considered a total loss inside those 2 years. Basically, since most vehicles loose a significant portion of their value the second you drive off the lot, if you get T-boned 5 minutes later you're not going to be on the hook for that percentage.

I believe that some insurers also offer a "replacement value" option (at extra cost) that will let you get an exact replacement without depreciation as well during the entire duration you own the vehicle. Not too sure about this one...could be wrong, not really sure.

You can always tell which industries are very profitable by the amount of players in them ... and everyone's in the insurance game these days.

Prostitution, maybe?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with "RIDER PLUS" Insurance?
I have experience with PLUS (sized) RIDERS

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I'm tired of the way things are going in our province.

I wish I could say, "If I could get a job somewhere else, I would leave ontario".

But it's not that easy. And I can't even get a job somewhere else.

Geico is in Canada? I was hoping for this. You must be American?

No. Born in Willowdale and lived around the GTA all my life except for some Time I spent in Northern Ireland and Atlanta.

I'm a financial refugee at the moment any have been living in SF since last year.

I wish Geico would come to Canada

Back
Top Bottom