Calling all ballers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calling all ballers

Evoex

The God
Site Supporter
Way overpriced. Those things sold really well, but they were not a short term investment.

Ignore - wrong video.

Last edited:
Nor a long term one. Iirc, corsa meccanica had one in their showroom almost 15 years ago for about the same price (even higher iirc). Pretty bike, terrible investment.

But why? The first manufacturer to offer their previous year's MotoGP bike with lights. Is it because they made so many (1500)? Then again, the 916's are only really start to pick up in price these days. I say give it another 5 or 10 years, and they should start going up.

But why? The first manufacturer to offer their previous year's MotoGP bike with lights. Is it because they made so many (1500)? Then again, the 916's are only really start to pick up in price these days. I say give it another 5 or 10 years, and they should start going up.
I don't know why. And given enough decades, it may appreciate. As it is, if someone had bought Georges for IIRC 120k+tax in ~2005, that would be about $205K in 2024 dollars. This bike is listed at $95K (plus tax but we know that is flexible on a private sale). If you put the 205K into S&P500, you would be at about $1.2M now. It will never appreciate enough to make up the lost opportunity cost of recent times. Now, is it a good investment at 95K in 2024? I suspect not but time will tell. It is really pretty.

EDIT:
I obviously got the year wrong as it was only 2007-2008. Finances aren't quite as bad as I listed above but still crap. I can't be bothered to recalculate.

I don't know why. And given enough decades, it may appreciate. As it is, if someone had bought Georges for IIRC 120k+tax in ~2005, that would be about $205K in 2024 dollars. This bike is listed at $95K (plus tax but we know that is flexible on a private sale). If you put the 205K into S&P500, you would be at about $1.2M now. It will never appreciate enough to make up the lost opportunity cost of recent times. Now, is it a good investment at 95K in 2024? I suspect not but time will tell. It is really pretty.

EDIT:
I obviously got the year wrong as it was only 2007-2008. Finances aren't quite as bad as I listed above but still crap. I can't be bothered to recalculate.

If you're comparing to "real" investments, I agree. But I was thinking in terms of other collectible bikes.

If you're comparing to "real" investments, I agree. But I was thinking in terms of other collectible bikes.
I don't follow the finances of bike collecting so I can't compare to other choices. If a bike I can't ride without collapsing its value loses over 50% of its cost in ~15 years, I call that a very bad investment. Why own it? It ties up a lot of money, I can't ride it, it does look pretty and some people would appreciate the bragging rights. I'd much rather have a much cheaper pretty bike that I can ride and enjoy and it will probably cost me less in depreciation than this bike.

I don't follow the finances of bike collecting so I can't compare to other choices. If a bike I can't ride without collapsing its value loses over 50% of its cost in ~15 years, I call that a very bad investment. Why own it? It ties up a lot of money, I can't ride it, it does look pretty and some people would appreciate the bragging rights. I'd much rather have a much cheaper pretty bike that I can ride and enjoy and it will probably cost me less in depreciation than this bike.
It is also my thoughts be it "collector" cars, bikes, watches, whatever. I am in the camp of not wanting something I cannot enjoy using. Why own xyz if I am afraid to enjoy it.

Others though want to have the top and not use it, or are afraid to use. They get enjoyment for just having and collecting--not me.

Then there are the real ballers, the top, the best, use it hard and put it away wet---be damned the costs. I wish this was me.

Things with wheels are usually bad investments. Better to just buy and enjoy.

Things with wheels are usually bad investments. Better to just buy and enjoy.
Sure. But the vast majority of Desmosedicis were destined for this fate

It sucks being old, and you have to google "what is a baller"
😳
now im curious what came up.
I googled it, and had to scroll pretty far down to find a rapper

Nor a long term one. Iirc, corsa meccanica had one in their showroom almost 15 years ago for about the same price (even higher iirc). Pretty bike, terrible investment.
Agreed.

That's the thing with "Limited Editions"; people buys them, parks them, then waits for/expect them to appreciate in value.

In this case there's 1500 of them, and likely 1490 still have zero km ridden. they have rarity on their side but that won't likely be enough for them to appreciate much.

In another thread AJ noted how many (real) Brough Superior's were imported into Canada, as well as those used by provincial police. As I recall the number was less than 1500 (??). Those are collectable and appreciating because nobody bought one back in the day BECAUSE it was sold as a limited edition collectable. It was rare because it was expensive, but the purchasers intended to use it.

Planned rarity doesn't necessarily confer extra value, even over time.

Planned rarity doesn't necessarily confer extra value, even over time.
Planned rarity... like the 50 year Harley Glide Anniversary Special... LIMITED Edition.
Limited to all they could sell... and then another couple thousand... just in case.
There was money to be made with that bike... in the class action suit against Harley

Can anyone come up with a bike, ANY bike that is a positive investment?
MAYBE something "bespoke"... nothing production.

Back
Top Bottom