C n C'd aluminum helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

C n C'd aluminum helmet

spitRR

[video=youtube;RnIvhlKT7SY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY[/video]

The helmet is pretty cool and all, but I want that machine.

Thats the vid I show people when they ask what I do for a living.

Ive posted it here before. We have both those machines in the video here where I work. They are german, and temperamental like audis, but they are the ****.

Thats the vid I show people when they ask what I do for a living.

Ive posted it here before. We have both those machines in the video here where I work. They are german, and temperamental like audis, but they are the ****.

Any idea how long it would take to run that program? How cooperative is the software now? Can you just give it a 3D model and it picks tools and paths? Is the software fully aware of the machine now (you used to be able to easily crash the spindle into parts if you weren't paying attention)? What kind of tolerances will the machine hold when running a part like this?

Are the machines typically running without coolant, or was that just for the video? You would think for a part like that there would be few downsides of coolant (hell you are removing so much metal that the part may heat up and change shape when run dry).

That is actually an easy metal to cut because it is Aluminum. That helmet doesn't require high tolerance so I suppose you can run it dry. Most of the places I've worked use coolant, this prevents the work piece from warping at high temps & prolong the life of the cutter.

These machines are highly computerized now, you can set offsets for each tool, all input into the machine. The only reason you can mess this up is if the tool breaks or your math is wrong & you enter wrong offsets

Any idea how long it would take to run that program? How cooperative is the software now? Can you just give it a 3D model and it picks tools and paths? Is the software fully aware of the machine now (you used to be able to easily crash the spindle into parts if you weren't paying attention)? What kind of tolerances will the machine hold when running a part like this?

Are the machines typically running without coolant, or was that just for the video? You would think for a part like that there would be few downsides of coolant (hell you are removing so much metal that the part may heat up and change shape when run dry).

I'd guess about 12-15 hours once the program is tweaked.

The software is good but not that good. Something this advanced, cant be done with smart feature programming.

The machine can hold .0001 easily as long as the feature you're trying to hold a tight tolerance on is programmed properly.

You never run aluminum without coolant unless you want to gum up all your tools, that little bit you seen dry was for show.

How much would it cost to make something like that?

Shop rates on five axis machines for this type of work are anywhere from 80 - 120 an hour or more.

After programming, setup, f*cking up one or two to get it right, Id estimate between 12 and 20 grand.

Shop rates on five axis machines for this type of work are anywhere from 80 - 120 an hour or more.

After programming, setup, f*cking up one or two to get it right, Id estimate between 12 and 20 grand.

That's for the first one though. The second one would obviously be much cheaper. Group buy?

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Sent from the Purple Zone

What were you expecting? I was actually surprised at how low the hourly rate was.
I actually had no idea.
I'm pretty cheap though, there's not much that I would spend 20 large on.

Sent from the Purple Zone

What were you expecting? I was actually surprised at how low the hourly rate was.

Thats our five axis rate. We are a custom shop with fast turn around tho.

More specialized aerospace shops under stricter ISO rules charge more.

Back
Top Bottom