Breaking NEWS- New iPhone 7 water resistant/proof | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking NEWS- New iPhone 7 water resistant/proof

Arguments in defense of this change all seem to rest on people's prediction of how we will use electronics in the future. There are two things to be said about this:

1- It may sound silly now given the speed of evolution of technology in the past several years, but people will choose to use cords for 100s, even 1000s more years. As long as wireless devices need charging, a significant number of people will opt for cables. Until power can safely be distributed wirelessly over a few meters distance, people will plug in.

2- The vast majority of users use 3.5mm jacks RIGHT NOW. Never mind the future, forcing so many people to change their habits to accomodate a new design is probably the pinnacle of User Experience bad practices.

If ever the universally standard jack comes to be superceded by new technology, it will happen gradually and naturally.

I could see, for example, a time when all devices anyone owns has USB-C connectors. Phones, computers, home entertainment, cameras... Maybe in 10 years time some people will be shopping for new headphones and realise they don't need to get the old jack style, all their devices have USB-C. Maybe 10 years after that, USB-C headphones are so commonplace that the value of retaining the old plug becomes questionable. Manufacturers weight the benefits of removing the plug against the lost sales from people still using the old technology, and the transition begins.

Instead we have Apple telling us now is the time, oh and we need headphones that happen to pay Apple license fees. And people are gobbling up the "new reality", making excuses for Apple "tech gets obsolete", "don't be a dinosaur"!

I mean I get that they make fantastic devices (this is the reason I'm so disappointed that I can no longer justify buying their products). But this is just a flat out terrible move, and one that is totally self-serving for Apple. I expect them to reverse this decision as their market share erodes over the coming years. We'll see.

100% agree with Faster1

On a personal level, I do not own a single wireless tool (not even a trouble light) because, for my trade, charging can become massive hassle for such minuscule gain. Sure wireless can be convenient from time to time, but those time do no justify the added size; weight; cost; and inconvenience of batteries. Of course this is just one example. I'm sure other trades people benefit greatly from the wireless experience in tools.

I personally don't think headphones become immeasurable better once wireless, and for that reason, any phone without a jack is not on my list.

I don't have any wireless headphones and don't plan on it simply because I don't feel comfortable having them on my head. What are long term effects of such devices around your brain all day long? I use a Bluetooth headset when driving, but that gets turned on when the phone rings, and then turned back off when I'm done and put away in a car pocket. Maybe it's just my tin foil hat, but I prefer and feel better with wired (annoying as it may be at times). Mind you I'm not an early adopter of tech in any way shape or form.

I don't have any wireless headphones and don't plan on it simply because I don't feel comfortable having them on my head. What are long term effects of such devices around your brain all day long? I use a Bluetooth headset when driving, but that gets turned on when the phone rings, and then turned back off when I'm done and put away in a car pocket. Maybe it's just my tin foil hat, but I prefer and feel better with wired (annoying as it may be at times). Mind you I'm not an early adopter of tech in any way shape or form.
Why not just use the corded mic and buds that come with the phone? I agree with not keeping a BT device in my head for the same unknowns.

The problem I have with the adapter/dongle is that the lightning connector isn't very strong, it'll bend much easier than a 3.5 jack. My kids have killed so many USB charging cables from using their tablets while charging.
I'm not a tech chaser though, my recent phone is a Samsung A5, I got it 4 months ago.
Blue tooth headphones sound great except for the battery dying on longer rides/trips.
Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The fear of radio signals thing needs to die.

There are lots of things in our lives, including cell phones themselves up until about 10 years ago, that put out signals that where exponentially higher powered compared to most things today – Bluetooth is rated in the milliwatt spectrum because of it's a very short range.

There's lots of data available online that will quell the fears of any critical thinker – if it was indeed as potentially problematic as some people fear we would have seen the results by now since wireless tech, much of the old school stuff being far stronger and dirtier vs the modern day stuff has been around for decades. Look at the first generation of cordless phones (and even the original brick cellphones) for example, they too operated directly upside your head and put out power in the full watt (or more) range - countless times what almost any wireless devise uses today. A whole generation from the 80's thorough to the early 90's used them with no measureable effects that can be attributed to such.

The problem I have with the adapter/dongle is that the lightning connector isn't very strong, it'll bend much easier than a 3.5 jack. My kids have killed so many USB charging cables from using their tablets while charging.
I'm not a tech chaser though, my recent phone is a Samsung A5, I got it 4 months ago.
Blue tooth headphones sound great except for the battery dying on longer rides/trips.

"My phone doesn't charge anymore" will naturally follow from (ab)using the port more often than necessary, and let me think for a second who profits from that lol

I've broke a few lightning cords, not gonna lie.

But the same **** happens with MicroUSB which is the standard for many other phones, and when it happens it usually takes out the port on the phone, not the cable. Also not gonna lie when I say I'd rather bust a $10 cable than have to take the phone somewhere and get the microUSB port resoldered onto the motherboard. This was a VERY common issue with a lot of the Samsung phones.

But the same **** happens with MicroUSB which is the standard for many other phones, and when it happens it usually takes out the port on the phone, not the cable. Also not gonna lie when I say I'd rather bust a $10 cable than have to take the phone somewhere and get the microUSB port resoldered onto the motherboard. This was a VERY common issue with a lot of the Samsung phones.
In about 7 years I have only broken 1 micro USB cord. In the past 3 years my wife has replaced her apple laptop cable 2 times and the thing is so expensive .

She has also replaced her iPhone cable 3 times

Here is her laptop cable which I am keeping together with tape

2f9ba487492610e232228842367165fc.jpg

In about 7 years I have only broken 1 micro USB cord. In the past 3 years my wife has replaced her apple laptop cable 2 times and the thing is so expensive .

Here is her laptop cable which I am keeping together with tape

Just saw this on reddit...made me chuckle a bit. To each their own anyway, no matter what Apple comes out with they will sell millions.

In short, your wife is rough on her belongings, that's the simple explanation. Since the lightning cable came out I've broke maybe 2, and the cable fails, never the plug. Way better than this alternative when the cable survives but the motherboard doesn't - S3 motherboard below...

maxresdefault.jpg

In short, your wife is rough on her belongings, that's the simple explanation. Since the lightning cable came out I've broke maybe 2, and the cable fails, never the plug. Way better than this alternative when the cable survives but the motherboard doesn't - S3 motherboard below...

maxresdefault.jpg
So what can a user do to be rough with their laptop cable. It stays in the same spot always, she doesn't take it anywhere, all she does is plug it in to charge and plug it out. Maybe she pulls it instead of cautiously removing it but doesn't it everyone?

Not sure if I agree with you.

I've never owned apple so I won't comment on this lightning business, but my Note2 has zero usb port issues after many years of rough daily treatment in an auto shop. I've bent a few cable ends along the way but the port survived none the worse.

But we weren't comparing lightning to micro USB. I was comparing to 3.5 audio jack which is much more robust and which is what apple removed.

The fear of radio signals thing needs to die.

There are lots of things in our lives, including cell phones themselves up until about 10 years ago, that put out signals that where exponentially higher powered compared to most things today – Bluetooth is rated in the milliwatt spectrum because of it's a very short range.

There's lots of data available online that will quell the fears of any critical thinker – if it was indeed as potentially problematic as some people fear we would have seen the results by now since wireless tech, much of the old school stuff being far stronger and dirtier vs the modern day stuff has been around for decades. Look at the first generation of cordless phones (and even the original brick cellphones) for example, they too operated directly upside your head and put out power in the full watt (or more) range - countless times what almost any wireless devise uses today. A whole generation from the 80's thorough to the early 90's used them with no measureable effects that can be attributed to such.
Is it really THAT conclusive? I don't think so.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/1...artner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytstyles&referer=
Lack of conclusive evidence is all I see on both sides.

Last edited:
FFS we choose to ride motorcycles.

Whatever marginal increased risk MAY exist from exposure to cell phone radiation is insignificant compared to their benefit versus being tied to landlines.

On a separate note, which do you guys think is more important on a device such as a cell or a pc: "form follows function" or design?

FFS we choose to ride motorcycles.

Whatever marginal increased risk MAY exist from exposure to cell phone radiation is insignificant compared to their benefit versus being tied to landlines.

Bluetooth killed the dinosaurs.

Back
Top Bottom