Boots and the The New Rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boots and the The New Rider

V

verity

As a new rider I am wondering what is the best type of boot to start with?

I am concerned about ankle flexion, breathability, leather vs synthetic and resistance to water. Woman specific goes without saying but beyond that....

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

;)

I am concerned about ankle flexion, breathability, leather vs synthetic and resistance to water. Woman specific goes without saying but beyond that....

;)

the best you can afford. Alpinestar, dainese, daytona etc

There are so many answers to this it's hard to start. You need to find out what's comfortable to you by trying them on. Personally I don't believe there's an over the top. I have full on race boots and a pair of just over the ankle boots. Both are mega comfortable. Long distance I wear my taller boots and running around I'll wear the short ones. Depends on what you like. Waterproof is a nice feature for sure. I personally wouldn't buy anything with laces. Go to places like royal or gp and see what they have that you like. :dontknow:

I prioritize the sole/grip over other features, but then again, I have a 760lb bike to balance at a stop (not including myself and a passenger).

I have a light pair of zipper boots, Harley brand, but fashion not motorcycle specific that I wear most of the time, and a pair of Tourmaster waterproof zip-up boots that I wear on longer trips, cooler weather, and rain. I find I sweat too much in the waterproof tourmaster boots to wear them in the heat...

20150811_182834_zps874qx2uy.jpg

Last edited:
I bought Alpinestar SMX-5 as my first boots, still have 'em and wear them all the time. For me they were comfortable right away with no break in or anything. A great all around boot.

Boot weight....is this something I should concern myself with at this stage? Can I presume the higher the price the better the quality/lighter the boot?

Still function and durability over fashion....so I know it won't be pink. :0)

Pair of $30 walmart leather boots if I'm walking a lot.
Pair of race boots if I'm not getting off the bike.

You want something comfortable, where you can feel the shifter, and won't come off if you fall.
Waterproof is good if it's raining, air circulation is good if it's not.
In the rain it's usually better inside the pant.
Ankle support and shin protection is also a very good thing when on the bike, but might affect the ability to walk around long distances. You could always bring a pair of sneakers for that in a tank bag.

I have a pair of TCX X-street waterproof boots that id gotten off a crazy 50% sale...
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?prodotto=151

If i had to do it again id go for those
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?collezione=1&prodotto=90

I mainly commute to work with them but i like the "blend in" look while still having protection.

Which is why next big buy in my gear will be resurgence jeans.

The matrix kevlar jacket, those jeans, those boots = don't even look like im wearing full gear

You're going to have to try them on. Find something that's comfortable with enough protection you can live with.

I started off with basically hiking boots, moved up to Sidi race boots (awkward to walk around in for any significant distance) and now wear Icon leather boots that look like my old hiking boots, except they have snap clasps and a reinforced toe for the shifter

From the piles of boots I have at home the one i favour is the Daytona, not only comfortable but it has great ankle support (use it for racing as well). Now if you don't want to wear a long boot I also use these Icons - they no longer make them but something similar with ample ankle support, comfortable and water resistant
137913786_32HMj-L.jpg

;)

From the piles of boots I have at home the one i favour is the Daytona, not only comfortable but it has great ankle support (use it for racing as well). Now if you don't want to wear a long boot I also use these Icons - they no longer make them but something similar with ample ankle support, comfortable and water resistant
137913786_32HMj-L.jpg
Iirc Daytona motorsports has a similar looking pair to the ones above in a ladies model. They are here on the forum.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I prioritize the sole/grip over other features, but then again, I have a 760lb bike to balance at a stop (not including myself and a passenger).

I have a light pair of zipper boots, Harley brand, but fashion not motorcycle specific that I wear most of the time, and a pair of Tourmaster waterproof zip-up boots that I wear on longer trips, cooler weather, and rain. I find I sweat too much in the waterproof tourmaster boots to wear them in the heat...

20150811_182834_zps874qx2uy.jpg

Imelda!!!

Thanks for sharing your pic of your 'shoe wardrobe'.:eek:

Why am I partial to the Blundstone style of boot? I know they are not suitable to riding but I would like something with a similar profile.

Daytona's are very nice--and incredible expensive. But again, really comfortable. On next years wish list....

I have a pair of TCX X-street waterproof boots that id gotten off a crazy 50% sale...

I mainly commute to work with them but i like the "blend in" look while still having protection.

The matrix kevlar jacket, those jeans, those boots = don't even look like im wearing full gear

I agree-- very nice.

"Pair of $30 walmart leather boots if I'm walking a lot...."--

Do they still make such a thing?? Even a basic leather boot that could function as a motorcycle boot has been at least $120.00 around town (Toronto).

I want to feel the shifter more than anything as this is among the hardest of the 'new feels' that I must learn if I am ever to ride well.

I'll keep on the lookout for similar deals.

Thanks for the comment-- was worried about becoming a little too 'bling' before my time. There was a time when I wouldn't futz so much about what it was I needed-- I'd just go to Honest Ed's and start from there. (I am going to miss the place, even though it's been decades since I was last there..)

ive also got the TCX- shoes, in waterproof, mine are blue suede. love the shoes.

heres the womens version
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tcx-womens-x-street-lady-leather-shoes.html

I got Dainese Axial Pro In quite a few years ago. Love them. I can wear them all day without any issues.
I would've gotten a pair of Daytonas if my budget allowed. I hear only good things about them.
Whatever you get, dont just buy them online. Try them on first. I initially went to get a different pair of Dainese boots. But Axials were the most comfortable for me. Dainese has a few ladies specific boots.
Also when you are checking out boots, hold them from the top and the bottom and try to flex from the ankle. If they flex, you might want to rethink those boots. just my 2 cents.

Imelda!!!

Thanks for sharing your pic of your 'shoe wardrobe'.:eek:
The Harley fashion boots - I found them at a Winners - for $60.

I have a heel-toe shifter on my bike - for a regular single-lever shifter, boots with a stronger toe would be better (like my Tourmasters or the other m/c boots are suggesting).

i have the street waterproof as well. very comfy and they can be worn anywhere off the bike.

Back
Top Bottom