BMW Bringing Carbon Fiber Tech To Motorcycle Frames | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW Bringing Carbon Fiber Tech To Motorcycle Frames

GateKeeper

[h=2]BMW Bringing Carbon Fiber Tech To Motorcycle Frames[/h]
Untitled-2a.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/bmw-bringing-carbon-fiber-tech-to.html

and

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/august/bmw-developing-carbon-fibre-frames/

I've only heard good things about carbon fibre. It's so good, sometimes it's imitated as a value added esthetic feature. I've never seen imitation aluminum. Unless I've been fooled.

The whole exercise seems pointless since weight isn't really a problem with sport bikes. They might want to look at improving fuel mileage instead, which tends to be horrendous on most motorcycles for their size.

I've only heard good things about carbon fibre. It's so good, sometimes it's imitated as a value added esthetic feature. I've never seen imitation aluminum. Unless I've been fooled.
ever see how c.f. fails ?
it doesnt dent like metal
it cracks...and the cracks grow VERY quickly
P1050160.JPG

Last edited:
Carbon fibre has been used for years in bicycle frames and forks.
IF its engineered, manufactured and tested correctly it shouldn't be a problem.
The major holdback is cost.

its bmw...see post #2..

If HD made carbon fibre frames I would be concerned. German industry has a whole continent to support, it's imperative they get this right. That's why it's such a shame about VW diesel. A lot of migrants will have to tighten their belts. It's a global economy.

Carbon fibre has been used for years in bicycle frames and forks.
The major holdback is cost.

true....decent cf mountain bikes cost north of $5k these days. cant imagine what a motorcycle frame would cost....

There's no magic to it. It's basically fiberglass with a harder substrate. "Carbon fibre" is a clever way of marketing asbestos fibre read: it's bloody cancerous if it cracks and you breathe the dust.

http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/on-health/2014/11/26/are-carbon-nanotubes-the-next-asbestos/

EDIT: should read "a clever way of marketing asbestos-like fibre"

Apologies to those having a nervous breakdown.

Last edited:
true....decent cf mountain bikes cost north of $5k these days. cant imagine what a motorcycle frame would cost....

My fat bike has cf fork. I don't mind admitting a little apprehension. Canadian company but all Asian parts.

If HD made carbon fibre frames I would be concerned. German industry has a whole continent to support, it's imperative they get this right. That's why it's such a shame about VW diesel. A lot of migrants will have to tighten their belts. It's a global economy.
the bicycle industry has been producing cf frames for years now....and believe it or not, the masters of cf technology are the taiwanese. most of the major manufacturers , even the fancy european ones , outsource their frame production to asia.

My fat bike has cf fork. I don't mind admitting a little apprehension. Canadian company but all Asian parts.
ive got a cf forked roadbike....i feel pretty safe, but i would replace if the bike were ever crashed....
sorry, post #14 comes off as a bit condescending....not meant to be...

Last edited:
ive got a cf forked roadbike....i feel pretty safe, but i would replace if the bike were ever crashed....
sorry, post #14 comes off as a bit condescending....not meant to be...

Oops, I reported your post. So sorry.

Would make sense for MotoGP bikes (as it does for F1 car tubs) but for street use?

Aside from dick-swinging bragging rights on the part of manufacturers and, perhaps, thick-walleted, balding & paunch-bellied buyers, I see little purpose or advantage on the street: A BMW S1000RR hardly needs an even more advantageous power to weight ratio for on-ramp duties or a foray through The Forks...

Mere mortals will garner no benefit from this beyond increased cost, zero chance of repair in the event of a misstep in driving and the unsettling comfort that cracks lead to catastrophic failures.
But the cool factor cannot be dismissed.

Back
Top Bottom