Blue plating an enduro | GTAMotorcycle.com

Blue plating an enduro

ungoloth

Site Supporter
I know service Ontario can answer but thought some of you would like to chime in.
I'm considering purchasing a Kaw 300 KLX enduro and blue plating it.
I was told by another rider that one cannot use the bike off road or use the trail system if it's blue plated.
I'm finding this difficult to believe.
Any thoughts?
ZX10R insurance is becoming insane and I would like to try something else for awhile

I'm calling BS. A bunch of us run blue plates in the ganny.

Edit: FWIW though the KLX is gonna suck on the road. I have a '19 KLX250 and though it's plated I trailer if it's more than 20-30 minutes from home.

I was told by another rider that one cannot use the bike off road or use the trail system if it's blue plated.

Not true.

I remember OFTR used to run ADV rides where it was actually mandatory to have blue plates to get from trail-to-trail legally.

From the OFTR website (under "License Plates & Insurance"): Off-Road Riding | Ontario Federation of Trail Riders (OFTR)

LICENSE PLATES
There are two common types of license plates used in off-road riding as outlined below.

Green Plate

The green plate is actually white with green letters or numerals. It designates the bike as an off-road only machine bearing the body type MF. The green plate must be permanently affixed to the front of the motorcycle, typically on the number plate.

The green plate and proper insurance allow the operator drive off-road and to ride directly cross a highway as long as the operator has a valid Ontario drivers License.

Blue Plate

Again this plate is a white plate with blue letters or numerals. It designates the bike as an approved vehicle for travel on road.

The Blue Plate in combination with proper insurance allows the operator to travel on-road or on permitted off-road areas providing the rider has a valid “M” class motorcycle license.

The Blue Plate must be permanently affixed to the rear of the motorcycle in a location visible from directly behind the motorcycle according to the Highway Vehicles Act.

Agreed, no problem using a blue plated bike off-road. I've been stopped at an OPP insurance/license checkpoint in Ganaraska and they didn't even want to see my papers. "You dual-sport guys always have your stuff in order"

If buying used and it's currently green plated it's more of a process to get that blue plate. Get it new with the blue plate.

Is there even a process at all anymore? It used to be easy but it's been over 10 years since then.
I think he's taking about the current KLX 300 which is a street-legal dual-sport, so no problems there. You get blue plates by default on that one.

But yeah, there's no official process anymore in Ontario to blue-plate an off-road bike unless it already is grandfathered in to the system with a blue plate. If you sell a grandfathered blue-plated dirt bike the new owner can choose to blue-plate it again, or switch to a green plate. But from what I understand, once it is green-plated it cannot be switched back to a blue plate ever again.

Of course, what happens at Service Ontario depends on the person behind the desk, but the system tells them whether the bike is street-legal or off-road-only when they punch in the VIN. I have seen blue plates on a few of the newer KTM/Husky 150cc two-strokes which were clearly never street-legal from the factory, but those appear to be cases where KTM didn't register the VINs correctly in the system. I have heard that MTO/SO eventually tracked those down and revoked their blue plates.

Back
Top Bottom