Bike depreciation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike depreciation

I know a guy who sold his bmw bike for $500 less before tax than what he paid from the dealership.

Going by your figures my 86 NS400R should be virtually worthless. Same with this RG500

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...A&utm_campaign=email_alerts&utm_source=alerts (not mine)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...00/1160419332?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

"I knew a guy..."

The rule does not always apply, a rare aston martin from the 50s could be worth millions(ask jay leno)

Most owners probably have an exaggerated sense of worth of their 'babies'

I doubt a 30 year old bike(Unless it had some historical significance, or was a rare model) will fetch for half of what you, or these kijiji posters think

Its a good bet those bikes will probably still be on sale for quite a while(owners have held on to them for 30 years, they wont have an issue holding on for a few more)

Not sure what Kijiji you're looking at. Kijiji sends me ads for 400SM's daily. Most of them are in the $4-5k range, a new one is $7700 plus tax.

It makes a lot of sense to buy used, especially for a first bike that you're likely to at the very least tip over a few times.

Iv seen ads for 10 year old SV650s going for a bout 6-7k? A brand new one will run you for that much (the new 2017 model is like 7k and change?)

an old beater should be nowhere near its original price unless its a 300 which is constantly in demand

油井緋色;2404337 said:
Err...what?

I bought a 2008 GSX-R750 with 6000km for $7500 in 2013. A brand new GSXR750 would've been double. Used sales also much cheaper tax (or .13 sometimes lol)

Look at the prices of DRZ400SM's. I mentioned it for a reason. Go on Kijiji right now, everyone wants $5000 for a 2009. Two months ago there was a 2015 on there for $8000, while the retail on a 2016 is $7500.

I have no doubt you can go on Kijiji right now and find good deals on almost every type of bike you want that are only a couple years old. Supermoto's are an exception. Grom's are also haha. No doubt there's more. Really hard to get a good deal on them with their recent popularity. While I'm somewhat new to bikes, I've seen the same things in the car world for years.

Not sure what Kijiji you're looking at. Kijiji sends me ads for 400SM's daily. Most of them are in the $4-5k range, a new one is $7700 plus tax.

It makes a lot of sense to buy used, especially for a first bike that you're likely to at the very least tip over a few times.

Yeah for a 2008. As much as I'd love to buy an 8 year old bike , why wouldn't I spend $3500 more and get a brand new bike with a 5 year warranty? Makes sense to me at least, that's why I'm doing it.

Yeah for a 2008. As much as I'd love to buy an 8 year old bike , why wouldn't I spend $3500 more and get a brand new bike with a 5 year warranty? Makes sense to me at least, that's why I'm doing it.

I hear you, unless you get a really good deal(and they are out there...)

you might be better off getting brand new (its your money spend it the way YOU want to. Its a toy, make sure you buy one that YOU actually like)

New Suzuki's only come with a one year warranty as do most bikes. The 400SM has been unchanged since the dawn of time, so what are you really getting by buying new? My memory is dodgy, but I think Suzuki stopped production of the SM between '09 and '14 which is why you either see older models or new. A mint condition older 400SM shouldn't cost you more than $5k, and you can probably find one for $4-4500 if you keep an eye out. So numbers wise, you're paying 50% more for the sake of getting it brand new. If that makes sense to you, go right ahead. It doesn't to me.

New Suzuki's only come with a one year warranty as do most bikes. The 400SM has been unchanged since the dawn of time, so what are you really getting by buying new? My memory is dodgy, but I think Suzuki stopped production of the SM between '09 and '14 which is why you either see older models or new. A mint condition older 400SM shouldn't cost you more than $5k, and you can probably find one for $4-4500 if you keep an eye out. So numbers wise, you're paying 50% more for the sake of getting it brand new. If that makes sense to you, go right ahead. It doesn't to me.

In most cases it's one year, but up until the end of June its 5 years :D

As far as I know, the US production stopped in 2009, though they still made some 2010, and in Canada came back with a 2012.

100% agree. It's pretty hard to justify used when these guys are trying to sell a 5 year old DRZ400SM for $1000 off MSRP of a 2016. But apparently people are buying them, because a handful of them come and go off of Kijiij every week.

As someone buying their first bike in about 2 weeks, it makes no sense for me money wise to buy used, unless I want to go 10+ years old.

I also shake my head at Kijiji pricing, but like others have said, people still buy them. Biggest ones that make me shake my head is when you'll see the odd Ninja 250R or 300R going for $500 less than MSRP or for MSRP of a new 300R. Justification normally seems to be 'save the freight and PDI, plus report it as a $1 sale to save on the tax". Maybe I'm odd or more well off than some, but if the difference between used and new is $1000 or less, I'd rather just buy new.

Also saw the same thing happen with the CBR250RA a few years back when the 300RA was coming out/delayed. Dealerships were selling used CBR250RAs for the same price as a CBR300RA would be, under the justification of "do you want a bike now or in a month or so?". Still baffles me people would bite on that one...

Last edited:
I know a guy who sold his bmw bike for $500 less before tax than what he paid from the dealership.

Going by your figures my 86 NS400R should be virtually worthless. Same with this RG500

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...A&utm_campaign=email_alerts&utm_source=alerts (not mine)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...00/1160419332?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

"I knew a guy..."

The rule does not always apply, a rare aston martin from the 50s could be worth millions(ask jay leno)

Most owners probably have an exaggerated sense of worth of their 'babies'

I doubt a 30 year old bike(Unless it had some historical significance, or was a rare model) will fetch for half of what you, or these kijiji posters think

Its a good bet those bikes will probably still be on sale for quite a while(owners have held on to them for 30 years, they wont have an issue holding on for a few more)

Well, starboy's examples fit the bill...
First guy wants 7k Canadian for his NS400R - Reasonable provided it's ok shape.

For reference 2 that sold on Ebay in the last couple years (can't find one right now)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181864659869?rmvSB=true - 6800 usd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261534668491?rmvSB=true - 10700 usd

The RZ is up for 10k....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201417184043?rmvSB=true - This one sold for 14k usd (again can't find one right now)

New Suzuki's only come with a one year warranty as do most bikes. The 400SM has been unchanged since the dawn of time, so what are you really getting by buying new?

You get alot by buying new. You get the peace of mind knowing that the bike has never been dropped. You know that the bike was put through the breakin period correctly. You know that all the parts of the bike are new, nothing will need replacing anytime soon, and you can treat the bike properly from the beginning and know that it has never been abused or skipped maintenance. For me anyways, thats huge.

Say a 2 year old bike is a grand off msrp. What if it needs some new parts, or something is out of line. If the bike has to go to the shop couple times and get a few things replaced, you will rack up that grand pretty quickly, even if you do your own work. Plus you still don't know if your bike was thrashed during the breakin period or not, or if it was dropped. Peace of mind.

I always buy used cars because im not paying $40k for something that will be 10-15k in a few years. In that case, the peace of mind isnt worth it to me. But for only a grand or two, it would be. If I were going to buy a 2013 and up bike id just buy new (unless its a 300 because those are everywhere for cheap)

Last edited:
You get alot by buying new. You get the peace of mind knowing that the bike has never been dropped. You know that the bike was put through the breakin period correctly. You know that all the parts of the bike are new, nothing will need replacing anytime soon, and you can treat the bike properly from the beginning and know that it has never been abused or skipped maintenance. For me anyways, thats huge.

Say a 2 year old bike is a grand off msrp. What if it needs some new parts, or something is out of line. If the bike has to go to the shop couple times and get a few things replaced, you will rack up that grand pretty quickly, even if you do your own work. Plus you still don't know if your bike was thrashed during the breakin period or not, or if it was dropped. Peace of mind.

I always buy used cars because im not paying $40k for something that will be 10-15k in a few years. In that case, the peace of mind isnt worth it to me. But for only a grand or two, it would be. If I were going to buy a 2013 and up bike id just buy new (unless its a 300 because those are everywhere for cheap)

^+1

Was about to blast @catzo for his post, but then went saw the last paragraph. So, yeah. I'll agree.
But for me, right now, bike budget if I was looking would be $3k that I would feel comfortable with. So for me, new is not an option.
Bottom line for me is, if you're gonna keep it for at least 5 years, you can consider new. Anything less, and I feel that you will lose too much money.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Was about to blast @catzo for his post, but then went saw the last paragraph. So, yeah. I'll agree.
But for me, right now, bike budget if I was looking would be $3k that I would feel comfortable with. So for me, new is not an option.
Bottom line for me is, if you're gonna keep it for at least 5 years, you can consider new. Anything less, and I feel that you will lose too much money.

Lose money on a 300??? I dont know how you can lose money on ninja 300

My bad
Forgot to add tldr

But still, most ppl think they can outride a 300 after 2 months. Shyte. It's barely broken in. I'm 260 lbs + and I was considering a 125 for a commuter if I had a gnote kicking around. Opinions of a fat guy on a small bike? DKDGAF.

So if I could save some money on a used 300 I personally would.

My bad
Forgot to add tldr

But still, most ppl think they can outride a 300 after 2 months. Shyte. It's barely broken in. I'm 260 lbs + and I was considering a 125 for a commuter if I had a gnote kicking around. Opinions of a fat guy on a small bike? DKDGAF.

So if I could save some money on a used 300 I personally would.

2 months? thats the entire riding season in canada...(lol)

What about 1-2 years? I know some people say different, but iv seen a lott of 300 bikes on sale that are 2-3 years old now(kijiji)

They're selling them so there must be a reason(Usually theyre upgrading to bigger bikes)

If you buy it new for $5500 or whatever it is (maybe more with freight and everything?) if youre going to sell it after a year youre going to lose money. Maybe not a lot, but more than if you bought one just a couple years old for $4k.

A 300 would be the only situation where I would say don't buy new. Just because there are so many available. And you arent going to keep it long (for MOST people, some love their 250s/300s and theres nothing wrong with that) Its an outlier.

2 months? thats the entire riding season in canada...(lol)

What about 1-2 years? I know some people say different, but iv seen a lott of 300 bikes on sale that are 2-3 years old now(kijiji)

They're selling them so there must be a reason(Usually theyre upgrading to bigger bikes)
Very few ppl keep them for 3 years (which I say is wrong, btw)
Those bike (most) that are 3 years old have multiple owners. Those I would keep away from.

I buy and sell bikes on Kiji fairly regularly and look as far out of the GTA as Quebec for deals. The more remote, the better chance to do a deal.

As to depreciation ....really depends on the bike....an $8-$9k new Vstrom will drop quickly to around 6k and then hover around $4-5k for a bit until it gets too long in the tooth feature wise. The thing with Stroms is users tend to farkle them up big time so that has to be factored in.

KLR 650s on the other hand seem to stick around $3-4k anywhere in the world for anything less than 10 years old.
Any certified bike tends to platform around $3k +/- as that's a useful price point.

Speaking of which ...nice deal for someone

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...50/1160130768?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2008 was the revamp year and some nice farkles. $2500 for a certified bike with some nice upgrades and you can ride around the world on ......good value.
Of course most on GTAM will be scared off by the mileage....:rolleyes:

all of 58k km...

Speaking of which ...nice deal for someone

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...50/1160130768?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2008 was the revamp year and some nice farkles. $2500 for a certified bike with some nice upgrades and you can ride around the world on ......good value.
Of course most on GTAM will be scared off by the mileage....:rolleyes:

all of 58k km...

**** thats in my hometown....must resist...

If only i was 25 and my insurance was lower. Looks like a great buy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom