Bicyclists should have insurance... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicyclists should have insurance...

chiller

Site Supporter
Based on this article, bicyclists in Ontario should have liability insurance.

Short summary :
- car is stopped at a red
- bicycle crashes into stopped car and leaves a scratch on car
- driver and cyclist exchange information
- cyclist later doesn't own up and the car driver is left to pay the repair bills from the bicyclist fault.

thoughts ?

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/14/cyclist-scratched-my-car-but-im-the-one-who-pays

Based on this article, bicyclists in Ontario should have liability insurance.

Short summary :
- car is stopped at a red
- bicycle crashes into stopped car and leaves a scratch on car
- driver and cyclist exchange information
- cyclist later doesn't own up and the car driver is left to pay the repair bills from the bicyclist fault.

thoughts ?

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/14/cyclist-scratched-my-car-but-im-the-one-who-pays

I have been saying this for a while now. They should also have to pass a MTO written test just like us. It ensures everyone knows the basic rules of the road.
Seems to be a level of discrimination. We have to pass test and pay fees for the privileged of driving on the road yet cyclists and bikers just hop on and pedal away...no lights no bells no no helmets no nothing. They now get special lanes...thanks to the fees from us drivers.

Think about it one step further, cyclists plows into you and they get seriously hurt or die, their family will sue you...yet you did nothing wrong.
Just like the person in the car from your link.

I have been saying this for a while now. They should also have to pass a MTO written test just like us. It ensures everyone knows the basic rules of the road.
Seems to be a level of discrimination. We have to pass test and pay fees for the privileged of driving on the road yet cyclists and bikers just hop on and pedal away...no lights no bells no no helmets no nothing. They now get special lanes...thanks to the fees from us drivers.

Think about it one step further, cyclists plows into you and they get seriously hurt or die, their family will sue you...yet you did nothing wrong.
Just like the person in the car from your link.

How would you handle the issue of minors riding? Would they need a license as well, at what age? Would people below that age be prohibited from riding bicycles?

I'd support something that at 16-18 you had to pass a written rule test. Below that, then I guess give them a free pass.

Seems stupid, but given the number of people who do move here and may not drive, might actually not know how the rules of the road here work vs where they came from. Granted, most of the cyclists I see blowing stops and reds simply just don't care. Also support something that required lights if riding at night, if there isn't that already.

As for collisions, I guess it's one more reason to keep comprehensive and/or collision on a car. I'd have to look it up, but if a cyclist ran into you/you signaled a right hand turn and were ahead of them, yet they still barrelled into your door, etc does anyone know how insurance would handle that, and could the driver be liable for a ticket if the cyclist ran into them?

Last edited:
How would you handle the issue of minors riding? Would they need a license as well, at what age? Would people below that age be prohibited from riding bicycles?

Minors fish for free, then have to pay for a license at 16 or whatever it is... Don't worry, your government WILL find a way to monetize these pedal pushers

I'd support something that at 16-18 you had to pass a written rule test. Below that, then I guess give them a free pass.

Seems stupid, but given the number of people who do move here and may not drive, might actually not know how the rules of the road here work vs where they came from. Granted, most of the cyclists I see blowing stops and reds simply just don't care. Also support something that required lights if riding at night, if there isn't that already.

As for collisions, I guess it's one more reason to keep comprehensive and/or collision on a car. I'd have to look it up, but if a cyclist ran into you/you signaled a right hand turn and were ahead of them, yet they still barrelled into your door, etc does anyone know how insurance would handle that, and could the driver be liable for a ticket if the cyclist ran into them?

Requirements of cycling on the road are usually taught in grade school. Occasionally I see them published elsewhere but most people don't care about bicycles needing lights for nighttime and a bell all the time. They also don't care about sidewalk riding and those that enforce the law seem to turn a blind eye too

Requirements of cycling on the road are usually taught in grade school. Occasionally I see them published elsewhere but most people don't care about bicycles needing lights for nighttime and a bell all the time. They also don't care about sidewalk riding and those that enforce the law seem to turn a blind eye too

The thing is this doesn't capture those who didn't go to grade school here, although I agree with many it is simply in one ear and out the other.

The more I think about it, the more I think some form of paper law/rules of the road test similar to the G1/M1 and making plates/insurance mandatory could be a good thing. That way if a cyclist hits a car they pay the deductible...essentially the same form of liability insurance that would protect them if they knocked a pedestrian or other rider down and injured/killed them in the process.

I almost wonder how many would support the above & plating if it was set that 100% of profits would be directed into making more bike lanes and riding paths for cyclists to use.

The thing is this doesn't capture those who didn't go to grade school here, although I agree with many it is simply in one ear and out the other.

The more I think about it, the more I think some form of paper law/rules of the road test similar to the G1/M1 and making plates/insurance mandatory could be a good thing. That way if a cyclist hits a car they pay the deductible...essentially the same form of liability insurance that would protect them if they knocked a pedestrian or other rider down and injured/killed them in the process.

I almost wonder how many would support the above & plating if it was set that 100% of profits would be directed into making more bike lanes and riding paths for cyclists to use.

Very few I suspect.. Most I know think they already contribute more than enough by "saving the planet".... From that moral high ground they look down their noses at any who suggest they pay for their priority, in any form.

Registration and plates would be nice for those that want to use public roads. Let them help pay for the infrastructure increasingly devoted to them...

Yes please, more regulation. That always seems to fix things.

Another cash cow for the government and insurance companies - do you really want bikes regulated by insurance? do you really want to have to register and pay for registering your bike because that is how they will enforce insurance, do you really want to pay for insurance so you can exercise? or go for a bike ride. Do you really want police paid to police this stupidity?

What is wrong with people these days?

I now know why politicians make ******** laws every day, because you sheep like to be regulated.

Last edited:
Another cash cow for the government and insurance companies - do you really want bikes regulated by insurance? do you really want to have to register and pay for registering your bike because that is how they will enforce insurance, do you really want to pay for insurance so you can exercise? or go for a bike ride. Do you really want police paid to police this stupidity?

I now know why politicians make ******** laws every day, because you sheep like to be regulated.

It's beautiful to watch isn't it. Foster none problems into a critical mass of distrust and disdain, then step in with a "solution" to "solve" the problem. This will come at a cost of course.... works every time.

pay to play
we pay to use the roads so should they
they can create a simple bike tag visible on front bars
they pass a written test
the funds from the written test and bike tag $25 (year) can pay for their collective insurance claims...like Quebec used to do with motorcycles.

Now if you hit my car, YOU pay for it or I file a claim with government. Dash cams are becoming the norm.

Think about it, those idiots that zip around down town wearing black clothes, no lights, running stop sings and lights, making turns cars would not make...AND you hit one of them because you did not or could not reasonably see them...what do you think will happen to YOU.

As Blackfin said, let them share the costs for infrastructure.
When ppl pay they tend to have a different view. When a cyclists knows they can be sued for damages...
What if a cyclist slams into your kid, causes them serious harm. You are walking with them or pushing them in stroller doing everything legal and whamo...life changes.

If that happens with a car or motorcycle we know who pays for damages.

As for little kids e.g. under 16 or 18, they ride for free on side streets.
You can allow everyone to ride for free on side streets, that answers exercise concerns.
The road is the road.

Do they allow skateboarders to and bladers to zip down the roads (use up 1 lane)?
I don't think you can ride a skateboard on main roads.

pay to play
they pass a written test
the funds from the written test and bike tag $25 (year) can pay for their collective insurance claims...like Quebec used to do with motorcycles.

Now if you hit my car, YOU pay for it or I file a claim with government. Dash cams are becoming the norm.

Think about it, those idiots that zip around down town wearing black clothes, no lights, running stop sings and lights, making turns cars would not make...AND you hit one of them because you did not or could not reasonably see them...what do you think will happen to YOU.

When ppl pay they tend to have a different view. When a cyclists knows they can be sued for damages...
What if a cyclist slams into your kid, causes them serious harm. You are walking with them or pushing them in stroller doing everything legal and whamo...life changes.

Think of the children right? Thats how Sheep think.

I don't play Pokemon go while I take my kid on the stroller, I pay full attention at all times so the chance of a bicycle hitting my kid is a big fat 0. Thanks for your concern through, I will take responsibility for him while we are outside, I don't need new laws to protect us.

pay to play
they pass a written test

Stop giving politicians ideas! I already pay to play -to the tune of half of my paycheque. I already license my Jeep and motorcycle, and probably pay more in gas taxes than most on here. I already pay more than my share.

Mosts cyclists are reasonable and careful law abiding folks- when I go out, I stop at red lights, stop signs, and try to ride as close to the gutter as I can so as not to impede traffic. When I'm driving, I allow plenty of space when I'm passing bikes, and want/expect the same from others.

Yes, some cyclists are asshats that seem to have no common courtesy, but how about cracking down on those tools instead of bringing in more legislation, that won't be enforced, and ultimately do nothing but cost us more tax dollars?

Think of the children right? Thats how Sheep think.

I don't play Pokemon go while I take my kid on the stroller, I pay full attention at all times so the chance of a bicycle hitting my kid is a big fat 0. Thanks for your concern through, I will take responsibility for him while we are outside, I don't need new laws to protect us.

So you have eyes in the back of your head?
Or while you are focused ahead you can react from the side?

You did not answer the question, who pays for damages?

Things change, rise of the ebike.
People's opinion changes once they have to deal with the results.

! headlight or 1 taillight out on a car/bike = ticket
NO lights on a bicycle = all good???

headlight or 1 taillight out on a car/bike = ticket
NO lights on a bicycle = all good???

Once again, I'll do your research for you. $110 fine for riding a bicycle between 1/2 hr. before dark and 1/2 hour after sunrise without a white front light and red rear light.

Once again, I'll do your research for you. $110 fine for riding a bicycle between 1/2 hr. before dark and 1/2 hour after sunrise without a white front light and red rear light.

Now tell me how many tickets have been handed out for that?
We already know there are laws, as CruznGirl mentioned, they are not enforced, hence my response.

Just stand on any major street downtown and you will see 75% of bikes with no lights and riding next to cop cars.

Back
Top Bottom