Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Call/go to the pedal stop at Ossington and Argyle. Ask for Jeff, He knows about bikes, and he's selling his road bike on top of that. Even if you don't buy anything, they'll help. he's an ex-rider too

Re: The Official GTAM Bicycle Thread!

The choices are overwhelming.

What is a good pedal/shoe combo? I was looking at those Shimano SPD Campus pedals. I don't see myself wearing the shoes/cleats on every ride so I thought having the best of both worlds would be ideal. Anyone use these?

Something like this:
http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

Opent to other manufacturers/models.

Last edited:

For the price difference and little weight you could get into shimano xt pedals. I have the xtr's and love them. The cleat is one of the easiest systems out there to clip in and out of. Bomb proof pedals

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-xt-pd-m780-xc-race-pedals/

The less surface for the pedal the less chance you have of breaking it when you fall.

Last edited:

The choices are overwhelming.

What is a good pedal/shoe combo? I was looking at those Shimano SPD Campus pedals. I don't see myself wearing the shoes/cleats on every ride so I thought having the best of both worlds would be ideal. Anyone use these?

Something like this:
http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

Opent to other manufacturers/models.

No, not those. Get something like Roomie pointed out (something designed for off-road). And if you're heading out to the trails I'll bet you clip in at least 95% of the time. Looking forward to hitting those trails with you fella.

2 more projects. I've actually lost count.

MudSlinger2_zps9c497935.jpg

a4c29bdc-9c62-4984-872b-af0e1caad23b_zpsae1cb90b.jpg

^ Dude, how many bikes do you have?

Just brought mine home, along with some shoes and pedals:

16410456919_d16f1941b6_z.jpg

16410476009_540851e617_z.jpg

16595673872_1243e9c58a_z.jpg

The shoes were surprisingly comfortable. Can't wait for spring!

Niiiiiice! I had the exact same shoes until my bulldog got bored. They're comfy once broken in.

They felt pretty spot on when I tried them on.

When buying a bicycle as a gift, without the other person's knowledge, height and weight plus inseam would give me about enough info? We're not talking professionals here.

Some road and gravel maybe, don't see more than 10% of riding being off road. Would you guys still get a mountain bike or one of those called hybrids instead?

Myself I have an older Specialized Hardrock FS and I'm pretty happy with it, on and off road. Need some more aggressive tires though because about the only time I ride nowadays is when I go camping.

I'd probably opt for a hardtail mountain bike (27.5 or 29 inch wheels) . Talk to the shop you plan on buying it from and explain it's it's a gift. That way if you're off on sizing they will likely work with you to exchange it. If you're close enough then they can just set it up to the rider after its given to them.

Thanks Roomie, I'll most likely pick up a hardtail MB because it seems most versatile.

Out of curiosity, any of you guys know if there are any Canadian made bikes out there still?

I think Devinci does. Rocky Mountain outsources nowadays. I don't know any other significant bicycle manufacturers from here.

Opus was a cdn manufacturer and they offered some great stuff. I had one of their first road bikes and loved it. For the level of components and craftsmanship they were much nicer than more expensive name brands.

My buddy sells Opus. Good bang for the buck. He's always picking up closeouts from them and has some great deals on them.

My buddy sells Opus. Good bang for the buck. He's always picking up closeouts from them and has some great deals on them.

I had the 2006 alto. Full shimano ultegra 9spd (worked a deal for the crank from new) and I think I was out the door at the time for around 1800 ish. Nothing else could even come close to the price. I loved it. The quality was good and it was as stiff as any other road bike I'd been on at the time. Looked really good too being simple and not a rolling billboard

Similar to this with some different parts

3aa44f1f_vbattach4039.jpg

Back
Top Bottom