Been Around Superior? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been Around Superior?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Anybody been around Superior in late August?
Anything extra to note or bring for that time of year or location?
We're going clockwise.

We went around Superior late June/early July. I don't think the conditions are so different in late August.

It should still be mid 20s that time of year. Nothing special to bring. Maybe a camera, the scenery is spectacular!

superior-X2.jpg

Anybody been around Superior in late August?
Anything extra to note or bring for that time of year or location?
We're going clockwise.
Yup. A few times by bike and car.

It can be very hot on the south side of the lake ... 30C+ a few days when I last did it in Aug 2018. The north side gets chilly, expect 10-15C by day, chillier at night.

Things to bring: Nothing special, just have clothes and camp gear (if camping) that meets the wide temp differences. Don't bring any Biden Tees or Bud Light.

Bugs will be gone.

Are you camping or using hotels?

I’m not sure what you’re asking, but I grew up in the Soo. I spent most of my childhood on the north shore of that lake, if the weather is good then it’s great, but if the weather is bad it can be really bad. Chippewa falls, I think that’s how you spell it, is a great place, especially if the salmon are running. Most of the north shore is amazing if you stop at the lookouts and take it in… I took it all for granted as a kid growing up in the beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you got a route drawn up, if so can you please share? I’m planning on doing this run but will be solo. Would like and idea of what roads are best

Have you got a route drawn up, if so can you please share? I’m planning on doing this run but will be solo. Would like and idea of what roads are best
here's a website with everything you need to know...hubs and I are going this summer in our truck though and bringing our mountain bikes...

Doing it with a Hog chapter and staying in motels.
Never ridden with them before, but worst case we can meet up at the motel/restaurant for the end of the day.
Route is seven nights:
~ Peterborough,
Blind River,
Marquette,
Ironwood,
Duluth,
Thunder Bay,
Wawa,
Sudbury,
Home
I've been up that way before by car (Our honeymoon was a drive to Minaki near Kenora, and we used to canoe/camp in Killarney).
Haven't seen a list of roads that we'll be taking yet.

Wawa to Sudbury seems far for one day,but there are some nice roads north of the trans-Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll do yourself a solid if you take the 77 up to Grand Marais and back when your in the UP. It's even further out of the way but a run up to Copper Harbour is sweet too.

Did it back in 2018

I missed some of the southern side of Superior because I diverted to Milwaukee.
Lots of helpful hints and suggestions from members here.

When I was on route I would randomly stop as there is ton's to see and little turn off's

Did the ride few years ago (clockwise as well).
Temperature dropped like a rock just before Duluth. From there to Canadian border, fog was dense at times, and weather was a bit unpredictable.
Duluth can be tricky for accommodations, especially during weekends. I would recommend booking it ahead, all other stops were easy without reservations...
Have fun!

Last time I was there was in 2020, when I was along the north shore of Superior while to and from BC. I love that ride along the north shore.

Temps can be very cool in the morning and then almost hot as GTA in the mid day.
Lot's of places to stop and take in the rugged beauty.
It can get foggy at times.
IMG_5419-4K.jpg

You'll do yourself a solid if you take the 77 up to Grand Marais and back when your in the UP. It's even further out of the way but a run up to Copper Harbour is sweet too.
I love the run to Copper Harbor. Try getting there for lunch if the weather is good. The southern road in is under a tree canopy part way. Nice break if it's really hot.

Keep an eye on the Tstorms on the southern side
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at Jul, 26    2023    12.21.52 AM.jpg

You can often get a nice ride home with the wind behind a front.
Crosswinds going down Michigan can be vicious.
This was nice too.

Should have mentioned the abandonned Henry Ford town of Pequaming. Most of it's on private property. The Squeeze and I got talking to the old guy Pete who owned the property. It was awesome. He gave us a tour of his shop which was filled with the actual equipment purchased for Ford for war time use. Of course Ford was so cheap he kept it. EVERYTHING had a small brass plaque with the Ford logo and an asset number - even the fire extinguisher.
Then his wife stops by and tells us how Pete used to "court" her on a motorcycle. We then got a tour of their house which used to be the Ford school. Just and really neat experience.

Yeah talking to one of the locals at the HD shop in Wisconsin they get some unusual weather there. They mentioned it could be snowing in the morning, and heat wave in the same day. Riding up to Green Bay I hit this nasty T-storm. Only lasted for a few minutes, had to pull over under an overpass as I couldn't see anything with all the water and dark as well. Then it was gone as sun came out and I could dry off 😬

Back
Top Bottom