Back into riding | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Back into riding

I saw a red 2015 fj09
With 23000k on it yesterday in mint shape almost looked new ! Felt pretty comfortable and alot cheaper than the new bikes I've been looking at ,there asking $8200.
They also have a 2020 tracer 900 with only 8700k on it for 10500 looks nice too.

yup good point but the fj09 looks so sweet in metallic red !
the t900 very nice as well they also have a 2020 t900 gt but that's another 4k more than the fj09 and realistically ill be putting on no more than 6-7
thousand km a year.

I'm looking for thoughts on the throttle response big issue is the bucking at low speeds. The fix appears to have the ecu reflashed fo fix that issue , anyone have experience with that?

Those were typical issues of the ride by wire introduced I think 2013. Minor reason to opt for the 2020 ...5 years of improvement.

I really like the price of the fj09 , there is a local guy near Toronto who does ecu remapping so maybe worth messaging him for thoughts? From what ive read its not too expensive.

I'm looking for thoughts on the throttle response big issue is the bucking at low speeds. The fix appears to have the ecu reflashed fo fix that issue , anyone have experience with that?
I can guarentee that will be an issue on the '15, as I had a '17 FZ09 (sport version). Flashing was common. Essentially the throttle feels very 'snatchy', like a light switch. On/off, no linear progression.

The '20 may have solved that issue.

I really like the price of the fj09 , there is a local guy near Toronto who does ecu remapping so maybe worth messaging him for thoughts? From what ive read its not too expensive.
No probably won't break the bank. $300-500

My son demo rode the MT09 after deciding against it and grabbing the last of the FZ8s which was a superb in-line 4 and a super deal too.
That was his last bike :(
He said he did not like throttle set up or the ergos compared to his FZ8 ( FZ9 was the alternative designation ) but also said the power was superb.

I saw a red 2015 fj09
With 23000k on it yesterday in mint shape almost looked new ! Felt pretty comfortable and alot cheaper than the new bikes I've been looking at ,there asking $8200.
They also have a 2020 tracer 900 with only 8700k on it for 10500 looks nice too.
Your initial post showed interest in ADV tourers, if you’re all pavement, there are a lot of options - and a lot more bargains on late model preowned. ADVs are in demand and holding value better than other categories.

For bigger and older riders returning, I suggest figuring out the budget, use (touring, commuting, weekend jaunts), terrain ( pavement, dirt or a mix), and ergonomic factors like seating, leg position, vibration and element control.

Ergo factors become more important for big, small, and older riders. Pay a visit to Motorcycle Ergonomics to get a feel for how each bike fits your frame.

Just starting my journey looking, looked at adv's first because of the riding position comfort etc. but I sat on the fj-09 in it felt good upright so lots of questions to be answered that's for sure thanks for the tips, will check out the link

99% pavement, id ideally like to keep around 10k inc tx

I will be renting a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 In Las Vegas from April 1-12 (aprox 3200 km. Navada, California & Arizona)
I will let you know what I think and will be posting as I go each few days.
I believe the 2015 has 3 adjustable modes for throttle response.
I test drove a 2019 XSR700 at Americade and hated it because of the snatchy throttle response.
That may have just been the way it was set up.
Would have made a good hooligan bike but I am old and slow.
2015 FJ-09

Last edited:
I will be renting a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 In Las Vegas from April 1-12 (aprox 3200 km. Navada, California & Arizona)
I will let you know what I think and will be posting as I go each few days.
I believe the 2015 has 3 adjustable modes for throttle response.
I test drove a 2019 XSR700 at Americade and hated it because of the snatchy throttle response.
That may have just been the way it was set up.
Would have made a good hooligan bike but I am old and slow.
2015 FJ-09
I suspect you're going to find a similar snatched throttle experience on the FJ.

A fresh set of eyes never hurts ! Looking forword to your impressions ,with that length of a tour im sure you will alot to say.
Ride safe!

I suspect you're going to find a similar snatched throttle experience on the FJ.
I test rode one a couple of years back, I’d call it a slimmed down FJR, not as comfortable when doing big miles, but much less effort handling it thru traffic and twisties.

I don’t remember the throttle being snatchy, but that is often a matter of opinion and something riders need to settle into when moving to higher powered bikes.

Opening the throttle is going to be a little more exciting than a Guzzi, but in a fun way!

Sounds like a great trip, send lots of reports.

I'm seriously considering the fj09 as well as the tracer 900 as there are a few for sale near me in my price range.
For the kind of riding I will be doiing I'm it will be fine , need some advice on a good bike shop for service in the Etobicoke area.

Good - get on with it :D
You don't really need a local shop ....go to a quality one.

Remember service is a two way street.
If you pay the little extra to purchase tires and parts from them they are far more inclined to look after your needs.
I use K-tec here in Kingston.
They store my Guzzi in the winter.
They supply and replace my tires.
They do my oil and filter changes. (I no longer have a lift and my knees don't work well anymore)
I just went in to make an appointment to have my 1974 Yamaha DT175 certified to register.
They said I did not need an appointment and just bring it in and they would do it the same day even if busy.

Back
Top Bottom