Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip?? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip??

Definitely agree with the above post. While having raced cars for a long time I know bikes are a whole different ball game. The launch is intimidating knowing that you're not on the street and it's more likely to really stick. I'd be all for a noob day with experienced people there to talk to as well. That video was good. I'd be happy with a mid to high 11 my first time too :thumbup:

+1

I will 99% go this year but the launch scares the **** out of me. I don't think I'm going to WOT in first gear to redline because I know it'll pop a wheelie; I'd rather redline in 2nd and deal with a micro wheelie than one that might kill me lol

油井緋色;2150105 said:
+1

I will 99% go this year but the launch scares the **** out of me. I don't think I'm going to WOT in first gear to redline because I know it'll pop a wheelie; I'd rather redline in 2nd and deal with a micro wheelie than one that might kill me lol

That's the fun of drag racing, every time you run the strip you learn a little more. My very (embarassing) first run, I was 18, three weeks into owning a zx7r, and threw down a hellish 18 sec run. This was after I nearly flipped it on the launch then pretty near stopped dead while **** myself, then launched like an asshat a second time. Lol. I grew up in Brantford and spent many days and nights at Cayuga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds like an absolute blast, but the things holding me back would be, first and foremost, not knowing a THING about it. I think that it would be crazy intimidating for someone who's never been to do it solo. A gtam day with a bunch of other noobs would probably be helpful in giving some people the confidence that they need to pull the trigger.
Other than that, I'd feel more comfortable if I could speak to a more seasoned drag racer when I got there. Get info on protocol, etiquette, proper launch technique etc. I don't want to burn my clutch out and run a 15 but I also don't want to get too excited and loop it lol.
And then I suppose the last issue is gear. I have a DOT (non-snell) helmet. Is that enough or is snell mandatory? I have a leather jacket and leather shorty gloves, proper SMX-5 boots, but only mesh overpants. Is a leather jacket mandatory or is textile acceptable?

I honestly think that if you put up a date and had one or two people available as 'mentors' to really walk noobs through the whole process you will have the most success.

No worries Wasted. I loaded up my bike and headed to a test & tune not knowing anything more than I always wanted to try it. You watch a few others and then off you go. It's no more difficult than taking off quick from a light (who hasn't had an impromptu run from the light against some muscle car?). And should you need help just about everyone there is glad to help a newbie.

I know that Glen has talked to a few different guys that have been down the track once or twice and have volunteered to help out with some mentoring. The biggest things to remember on a stock bike that hasn't been prepped for dragracing are; skip the burnout and go out to have fun, you won't likely be setting any records the first time out. Look for improvements from pass to pass, you improve much quicker that way.

......TAKE NOTE..... This years Bike only event date at Cayuga(TMP) has been set for July 19.....The feed back that is coming in seems to lean toward possibly making this years event a fun day with maybe some help from the GTA team.... Someone had mentioned a GTA grudge day....Sounds like a lot of fun, basically a whole day of test an tune(TNT). Myself and a few other regulars would make ourselves available for tips and what ever other kind of issues come up. Keep the comments flowing, and if you have never been down a drag strip this would be a great time to bring out your friends and give it a try!

My comments:
- They think it's expensive
$125 for some random fun is kind of expensive.
- They think they need a top-of-the-line suit
Everyone should already own proper gear, IMO.
- They think difficult preparation or equipment (stands, warmers, etc.) is needed
It's the draining of coolant (replacing with water) and getting a stand there when I would have to ride it there since I don't have a trailer and the side stand has to be tied up.
- They think fast times are required / expected of them
- They are afraid of crashing
- General intimidation
Also, it's 1.5 hrs away from me in good traffic. More if traffic sucks. Why does it have Toronto in it's name when it's nowhere near Toronto?

My comments:

Also, it's 1.5 hrs away from me in good traffic. More if traffic sucks. Why does it have Toronto in it's name when it's nowhere near Toronto?

Because Hick town Motorsports Park doesn't roll off the tongue as well, and if it were any closer to the GTA, someone would have built cheap condos on it.

Last edited:
Hick Town Motorsports sounds pretty good.

I was at Grand Bend dragway a few weeks back and the lack of gear was awesome.
I seen more than a few running down the strip with no gloves.
Half of the people running down the strip were wearing jeans, some had sneakers on.
Hey whatever works. I was suprised the track let people line up like that.

That's what insurance waivers are for, also Darwin Awards.
Speaking of insurance, that might be another reason more people don't go. Any insurance policy I've gotten in the last 5 years or so included a question of, "Will you be driving this vehicle on a race track or participating in any competition events?" Any answer other than no means no policy for you (I asked).

Although I have a friend who claims his brother did some BMW track event and got his highly modified car covered after he ran it into a wall because it was considered a driving school or something strange like that.

Who is all coming out this coming Saturday for bike day? I'm not sure if there are any classes being proposed but at the very least it will be a great opportunity for a lot of riders who have never had the chance to go down the strip to give it a whirl!

Who is all coming out this coming Saturday for bike day? I'm not sure if there are any classes being proposed but at the very least it will be a great opportunity for a lot of riders who have never had the chance to go down the strip to give it a whirl!

For me it depends on what gear is required and what the entry fee is, any info on that?

I will follow up with more info on the entry costs....But I would estimate in the $30.00 dollar range for the day....As far as gear, all you need is shoes that cover your ankles, gloves and a jacket....Hope that helps.

Make a list on here of people willing to go, you can start with me. Gear requirements you posted. How about bike? Anything need to be done?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Word of mouth is the best way to promote any event....As far as what you can ride, I have seen almost every kind of bike imaginable make passes.....They are supposed a chain guard and if you happen to run at night a tail light.

Back
Top Bottom