Are newer bluetooth communicators that much better than a Sena 20S? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are newer bluetooth communicators that much better than a Sena 20S?

regder

Site Supporter
The jog dial on my 20S broke off and I have a pretty good feeling Sena won't sell me another jog dial only a new headset. I can get another 20S used for pretty cheap but my mind started wondering if the newer headsets are that much better.

I have had the 20S for probably 5-6 years and it has been solid and does everything I want it to do which is basically play music and answer the odd phone call.

If you are just listening to music and taking phone calls and are happy with the unit, no need to upgrade.

The newer BT units have better mesh intercom abilities to connect 3+ riders and interoperability with other brands. Also, better connectivity with multiple devices, like GPS, music, phone and intercom.

If you don't need any of this, it's pointless to upgrade, especially at the expense of reduced battery life which some of the newer units suffer from.

I've been using a 20S for close to 10 years now. Problems only arise when a third rider wants to connect via intercom using a newer mesh system.

If you are just listening to music and taking phone calls and are happy with the unit, no need to upgrade.

The newer BT units have better mesh intercom abilities to connect 3+ riders and interoperability with other brands. Also, better connectivity with multiple devices, like GPS, music, phone and intercom.

If you don't need any of this, it's pointless to upgrade, especially at the expense of reduced battery life which some of the newer units suffer from.

I've been using a 20S for close to 10 years now. Problems only arise when a third rider wants to connect via intercom using a newer mesh system.

Cheers! That was my suspicion. Don't need mesh as I can count on one hand, missing a few fingers, the number of times I have used the communicator capability.

Better connectivity with devices is tempting but not at the steep price jump.

Cheers! That was my suspicion. Don't need mesh as I can count on one hand, missing a few fingers, the number of times I have used the communicator capability.

Better connectivity with devices is tempting but not at the steep price jump.
Do you use the helmet speakers or some sort of in ear monitors with them?
If you are using helmet speakers, then it might be nice to upgrade the speakers.

For example the Packtalk Bold units have 45mm JBL speakers which are better louder and have more bass punch than the normal ones.

Do you use the helmet speakers or some sort of in ear monitors with them?
If you are using helmet speakers, then it might be nice to upgrade the speakers.

For example the Packtalk Bold units have 45mm JBL speakers which are better louder and have more bass punch than the normal ones.

I use the stock helmet speakers which work ok but not amazing. Sena does sell a speaker upgrade kit for $45 that I may try at some point if I keep this setup.

I just upgraded from a 12 year old SMH 10 to a Packtalk Edge, and it's night and day better. SMH20 was not an option back then though, but I can say that technology moves on quite a bit even at the consumer level in 10 years.

@regder The 20S should have voice commands, so you may not even need to replace it. It does take some time to commit them to memory, but if you use it often, the learning curve is fast. The only reason I upgraded from my Sena 3S to a Cardo Freecom 4+ was specifically for hands free operation while riding, and I now only need to touch the unit to turn it on and off. That includes volume up/down, muting, answering/ending calls, starting stopping music/radio, skipping tracks and stations, and even checking battery charge.

@regder The 20S should have voice commands, so you may not even need to replace it. It does take some time to commit them to memory, but if you use it often, the learning curve is fast. The only reason I upgraded from my Sena 3S to a Cardo Freecom 4+ was specifically for hands free operation while riding, and I now only need to touch the unit to turn it on and off. That includes volume up/down, muting, answering/ending calls, starting stopping music/radio, skipping tracks and stations, and even checking battery charge.

Totally forgot that was an option, but turning it on/off was hit and miss with the broken jog dial. Either way, yesterday I ordered an as-is replacement 20S off ebay for $50 shipped.

I find the Sena easier to use. For the life of me I cannot remember the button sequence for the Cardo. Also, the little buttons on the Cardo vs motorcycle gloves is a minus. The Voice Command makes up for it I guess...it has more features...but if you're looking for simplicity... stick with Sena.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Almost time to replace my aging Scala Q1, it's battery life is almost down to 1 hour.

Would rather stay with the Cardo brand as i've heard they are still kinda waterproof, not looking for anything too fancy, rider 2 rider connectivity is not too important as i mainly ride solo and I'm a cranky old sod.

Is this unit ok, i really haven't been following up on the latest gizmo's- i know there is/was an edge and a bold version?

Almost time to replace my aging Scala Q1, it's battery life is almost down to 1 hour.

Would rather stay with the Cardo brand as i've heard they are still kinda waterproof, not looking for anything too fancy, rider 2 rider connectivity is not too important as i mainly ride solo and I'm a cranky old sod.

Is this unit ok, i really haven't been following up on the latest gizmo's- i know there is/was an edge and a bold version?

See if you can replace the battery in the one you currently have.

I replaced mine in my 8 year old (at least...) Scala g9x a couple years back.

If you ride on your own most times. If its just for music and the occasional phonecall, why upgrade.
751481c8b8fbc2b8ecc6ca5d2d04aef9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

See if you can replace the battery in the one you currently have.

I replaced mine in my 8 year old (at least...) Scala g9x a couple years back.

If you ide on your own most times. If its just for music and the occasional phonecall, why upgrade.
751481c8b8fbc2b8ecc6ca5d2d04aef9.jpg

One part of the problem is that the software(including the app) for the old unit is long gone, it's not even on the website any more.

One part of the problem is that the software(including the app) for the old unit is long gone, it's not even on the website any more.
Yeah, that could be a problem.

The Cardo app makes it easier, but mine still pairs without it.

Is the app required for yours?

Yeah, that could be a problem.

The Cardo app makes it easier, but mine still pairs without it.

Is the app required for yours?

It's a lot easier with the app to pre program radio station and other stuff like that.

It's a lot easier with the app to pre program radio station and other stuff like that.
Cardo smartset app. Its free on the app store. Only for Android. The same one I use.

Its still on there. Not through the Cardo website.

That, and a $25.00 battery, and you're back in business.

Cardo smartset app. Its free on the app store. Only for Android. The same one I use.

Its still on there. Not through the Cardo website.

That, and a $25.00 battery, and you're back in business.

That's good to know about the app not supporting Apple.

I don't know if things have changed, but the Freecom 4x was their entry point for voice control, which lets you do almost everything hands free. For me, I hated reaching up to the unit and holding the button for 2 seconds to skip tracks on my playlist. And then doing it again and again as I hit a series of songs I probably should have deleted from my playlist...

Hands free volume up, down, and mute are also helpful, as well as answering calls or switching to radio or different stations.

Moved away from Cardo this year. I thought that I had a 4X, but apparently it's a 4+ which doesn't have the features and doesn't show up in their literature. Moved to a Schuberth in helmet system by Sena. Hopefully it will easily connect to other in helmet systems unlike the Cardo.

Hopefully it will easily connect to other in helmet systems unlike the Cardo.

Interoperability between *all* brands sucks in my experience. I have one regular riding buddy on a Scala system and despite more than a few attempts we've never managed to get ourselves properly paired. We *almost* made it happen once but it ended up in some weird in-between pairing where it didnt seem like it had paired, but then a few hours later when he hung up from a phone call, suddenly I heard random coughing in my ears over my audiobook and after some confusion, realized it was him - when he hung up, somehow the com channel had opened. When we closed it, the only way to get it reopened was for him to take a call and hang up again.

Quite often if we're on a group ride together and need to chat at some point (he often tailguns, I often lead), I just call him instead - no bluetooth range issues that way either. Not ideal, but gets the job done.

The Cardo app is really slick for adding new groups or new friends to existing groups when they're also Cardo users.

Back
Top Bottom