Anyone with shoulder (Rotator cuff) surgery experience? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone with shoulder (Rotator cuff) surgery experience?

Surgery day is Thursday.

Can't say I'm excited. A few of my co workers think that the idea of sitting out a huge chunk of the winter at home with a cup of coffee and little else to do except Netflix and Chill would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but honestly, I think I'm going to go stir crazy, and I KNOW that not having my dominant arm is going to drive me right bonkers. I have the sling now and have tried it on....and yeah, it sucks. I'm going to be spending the first month or so sleeping in my recliner in the living room I think as there's no way I can lay in bed. I won't be able to touch type anything which will drive me up the wall as I find it infuriating hunting and pecking with one finger when I usually touch type >100WPM.

Not to mention the pay cut - the guys who think it'd be great are also the ones making a whole lot less than me, to the point where my short term disability pay would be not a huge pay cut for them. For me, it's a big pay cut.

But yeah, 6 months of suck or a lifetime of pain. The pain has been getting worse, keeping me up all night (unless I take the heavy duty pain meds I've been given, but I really don't like them a whole lot, not to mention I have to be extremely careful when I take them to make sure I'm staying on the right side of safe/legal at work the next day...) and it's been making work increasingly challenging aside from that as I could only take Nsaids during the day, which are kind of like Smarties for me now.

Gotta do it.

On the bright side, I put about 1000KM on the scoot in the last week and a half. A fitting end to the season. Well, my season at least - it looks like there's still some good riding left in the forecast.

Last edited:
Good luck!

Had one of my surgeries in November...shouldnt have to worry about shovelling snow till you are nearing physio time. Just watch for icy stairs and flats as that will be the first arm you reach with or put down. And be prepared to wake yourself up 10 times a night pushing your body around with your sore arm. I found the biggest help for me for easing the ache was the pendulum swing... Get them to show it to you once you are sling reduced.

Good luck PP. Who's your surgeon?

I've never had surgery, but I did have a posterior dislocation (out for 10 days), then the long time in the sling and physio to try to fix the mess. As per the Dr's advice, I didn't start physio until sling time was up. Physio was super ****** about this, he said I should have started visits right after to keep things from getting so buggered up. Find an awesome physio, they are the key to a lifetime of happiness after the surgery. I would happily recommend my guy but he's in Woodbridge so you probably want someone closer.

Luckily it was my non-dominant arm, but the wedge sling was still a pita. I ended up shooting a wedding in the sling (the foam wedge is a useful place to set a spare camera) so you can still live your life.

Last edited:
As far as physio...where are you located?
Wil and Brent at Eramosa in Orangeville are AWESOME!
I was in for consult and sessions within a week. YOU HAVE TO MOVE IT EARLY!

Surgeon is Dr Chhabra from Oshawa. Well regarded, and when I visited for consults and followups he was quite nice.

I am all good for a physiotherapist - I had one I have worked with in the past for the shoulder (before the extent of the issue was known) and for past issues as well with ankle breaks etc. Great guy and very thorough.

As for sleeping I've been told to plan on spending at least the first month sleeping in a recljner. I hope that's not necessary as I don't sleep worth **** sitting, but it is what it is I guess. If I *can* actually get into bed I'm worried about damaging the repair as I tend to roll around a lot, and am a side sleeper on top of it all. The sling I was prescribed has a 30 degree angle to it away from my bodh (a special "abduction sling") so it's extra crappy in that regard as well.

Honestly, sleeping is what I'm most worried about. In my line of work, in my early years in the industry sleep deprivation was part of my daily life for too many years....and I've learned to hate it with a passion. I get miserable quick.

Anyhoe, I'm whining LOL I know in the grand scheme of things it's not the big thing I have in my hesd. There's other members here with far bigger issues (Oomis) so I really should STFU. :)

Surgeon is Dr Chhabra from Oshawa. Well regarded, and when I visited for consults and followups he was quite nice.

I am all good for a physiotherapist - I had one I have worked with in the past for the shoulder (before the extent of the issue was known) and for past issues as well with ankle breaks etc. Great guy and very thorough.

As for sleeping I've been told to plan on spending at least the first month sleeping in a recljner. I hope that's not necessary as I don't sleep worth **** sitting, but it is what it is I guess. If I *can* actually get into bed I'm worried about damaging the repair as I tend to roll around a lot, and am a side sleeper on top of it all. The sling I was prescribed has a 30 degree angle to it away from my bodh (a special "abduction sling") so it's extra crappy in that regard as well.

Honestly, sleeping is what I'm most worried about. In my line of work, in my early years in the industry sleep deprivation was part of my daily life for too many years....and I've learned to hate it with a passion. I get miserable quick.

Anyhoe, I'm whining LOL I know in the grand scheme of things it's not the big thing I have in my hesd. There's other members here with far bigger issues (Oomis) so I really should STFU. :)

I found that the lazy boy zero gravity recliners are much easier to sleep in than normal recliners. They tip a little further back. It's the only time I can sleep on my back.
Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Sleeping on your back isn't the best position for that, as far as I know.

bad deal
yeah I'd be asking for a sleep aid
I can't sleep on my back either
and only time I can sleep in a chair is after a few pops
can't be doing that everyday for a month
though it sounds like your co-workers would be down for that

anyway, good news is, you should be right as rain for the spring and riding

Well, it's done, and I am 48 hours postop now.

The pain is certainly reasonably intense but far from the worst I've ever experienced having had a C1/C2 spinal fusion in my past. That was far worse.

The ice therapy machine that I pooh-poo'd Initially has become my favourite piece of equipment on the entire face of the planet lol. But it uses a lot of ice....far more than our ice maker can generate. But its awesome for pain management.

The immobilizer sling is a total PITA but it is what it is. Thankfully the surgeon said I can take it off for showering but otherwise I have to wear it 24/7 for the next month.

I have a love hate relationship with the percocets - they certainly help manage the pain but I hate the brain fog that comes with them. Hoping I can wean off to T3's in a few days with maybe the exception of night/sleeping.

Sleeping in my recliner has been better than I expected...but aided by meds. Two percocets and 2 gravol knocks me out for a good 5 hours or so before the pain wakes me up, but thats more than I expected to be able to sleep, especially in a chair. Surgeon said I can try the bed but getting up without help may be difficult....will see.

Physio starts next thursday. Hoping once I get off the narcotics I can get out of the house/try driving and see how that goes - I don't like sitting still and even this first 48 hours of doing little more than surfing and watching TV has me bored already.

Last edited:
Well, it's done, and I am 48 hours postop now.

The pain is certainly reasonably intense but far from the worst I've ever experienced having had a C1/C2 spinal fusion in my past. That was far worse.

The ice therapy machine that I pooh-poo'd Initially has become my favourite piece of equipment on the entire face of the planet lol. But it uses a lot of ice....far more than our ice maker can generate. But its awesome for pain management.

The immobilizer sling is a total PITA but it is what it is. Thankfully the surgeon said I can take it off for showering but otherwise I have to wear it 24/7 for the next month.

I have a love hate relationship with the percocets - they certainly help manage the pain but I hate the brain fog that comes with them. Hoping I can wean off to T3's in a few days with maybe the exception of night/sleeping.

Sleeping in my recliner has been better than I expected...but aided by meds. Two percocets and 2 gravol knocks me out for a good 5 hours or so before the pain wakes me up, but thats more than I expected to be able to sleep, especially in a chair. Surgeon said I can try the bed but getting up without help may be difficult....will see.

Physio starts next thursday. Hoping once I get off the narcotics I can get out of the house/try driving and see how that goes - I don't like sitting still and even this first 48 hours of doing little more than surfing and watching TV has me bored already.

Maybe try going AU NATURAL vape or smoke some good weed. Peak the interest to watch tv or whatever you are doing and definitely helps with sleep and depending on the strain also with the pain.
IMO would prefer a shoulder or upper extremity at least you are mobile if it was a leg... well been there done that am a proud owner two of 2 steel plates fastened by 16 screws.
So just chill relax dont over think take your meds without feeling guilty cause "oooh its percs" am sure you have 0 chance of dependency so just basically survive lol and as time passes you will laugh at how sucky you were about your rehab early on.
Best of luck

Forgot to mention...a long shower brush helps too...and ask about the pendulum swings to ease the ache!

Can't do weed....not legal for AZ license holder despite the fact I'm off work now. Wife not cool with it either.

Thought maybe I'd wean down to T3's today. That was a whole boatload of nope after about 6 hours. Back to the 2 percocet every 4 hour regiment again. :angry3:

They just make me drowsy. Fell asleep twice trying to eat dinner. Can't accomplish anything except naps.

Yay.

But yeah, it beats lower extremities. I've broken both my ankles more times than I care to remember, I hate crutches....but way less pain.

The ice therapy machine that I pooh-poo'd Initially has become my favourite piece of equipment on the entire face of the planet lol. But it uses a lot of ice....far more than our ice maker can generate. But its awesome for pain management.y.

If you're going to need ice for a bit, it may be worth picking up a countertop ice maker. They crank out a surprising amount of ice (~25lb/day). After you are done with your shoulder, they are good for firing up the day before a party.

41suLq0h6vL.jpg

Yeah I actually posted on Facebook seeing if any friends had one of those I could borrow, however I'm pretty sure I would need two of them to keep up.

I started using some large Tupperware containers to freeze blocks of ice in the deep freezer instead and that has been working out OK so far.

Had one of my surgeries in November...shouldnt have to worry about shovelling snow till you are nearing physio time. Just watch for icy stairs and flats as that will be the first arm you reach with or put down. And be prepared to wake yourself up 10 times a night pushing your body around with your sore arm. I found the biggest help for me for easing the ache was the pendulum swing... Get them to show it to you once you are sling reduced.
Did that swing a dozen times a day during my rehab. And still occasionally do it now. Really helps loosen it up. Especially after the resistance bands.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Tried the pendulum swing thing last night. Still ultra paranoid about even having the arm out of the sling much less swinging it around, shoulder stabilized by my other arm or not - read so many stories online about people that damaged the repair (tore the stitches off the bone) that I'm afraid to become a statistic.

Actually layed on my side on the couch for an hour nap this morning after sleeping upright for the last 3 nights in the recliner. That was kinda nice but gravity was not my friend, got sore.

Tried the pendulum swing thing last night. Still ultra paranoid about even having the arm out of the sling much less swinging it around, shoulder stabilized by my other arm or not - read so many stories online about people that damaged the repair (tore the stitches off the bone) that I'm afraid to become a statistic.

Actually layed on my side on the couch for an hour nap this morning after sleeping upright for the last 3 nights in the recliner. That was kinda nice but gravity was not my friend, got sore.
Prep a pillow under your hip when on your side. I'm developing a major pain, bursisis iirc. Ice and chiro is helping...if it ain't one thing.....

I'm developing a major pain, bursisis iirc.

Awwwww, muffin.

Fax me when you have surgery scars crisscrossing other surgery scars.

37962416656_9da76e598f_b.jpg

There ya go, PP. Welcome to my world.

FMJ I was wondering when you were gonna chime in lol.

Oooh, photo sharing lol, I'll play along.

Heres me after my spinal fusion. I have a matching (but longer) scar on my right hip where they took the bone out of my hip thats now part of my neck, along with lots of shiny metal bits. ;)

fusion.jpg

Back
Top Bottom