Anyone know any Mason's for repoint work? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone know any Mason's for repoint work?

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Had three masonry companies out to estimate some repoint work on my home.
I have gaps in between the mortar and concrete bricks in numerous area's (house is 39 yrs old)
One area in particular is letting a bit of water into the basement.
See this post: Water damaged drywall

First company gave me a estimate for repair work.

Second company said it's not worth their time to do just repointing work, they want to rip out some brick and replace. With no guarantee !?!

Third company is coming out today, and by our conversation I expect the same answer as the second company.

I have no issues with any of these guys or their suggestions, We've put close to 100K into this house/property since purchase (Nov 30) and my budget is limited.

My concern with ripping out bricks is they might not be in the area of where water is getting in, so this could have to happen multiple times.
If the repoint work is done and the water stops we have a much better chance of knowing the location of the leak and then working on a permanent solution.

I typically like to get 3 estimates, I am located in Erin.

My house is 3yrs old and I repointed some bricks last year. It isn't difficult to do yourself.

My house is 3yrs old and I repointed some bricks last year. It isn't difficult to do yourself.
I have more than a few bricks... Amazingly the third guy out was awesome has great reviews and will do the job to my specifications and budget.

Post some pics so we can get context of the scope of the problem.

I am with @Hardwrkr13 repointing is generally not rocket surgery and is pretty easy to do.

If trying to save a buck, don't bother calling the Free Masons, they are something all together different....

Post some pics so we can get context of the scope of the problem.

I am with @Hardwrkr13 repointing is generally not rocket surgery and is pretty easy to do.

If trying to save a buck, don't bother calling the Free Masons, they are something all together different....
At work so no pics at the moment.
But basically there are probably hundreds of cracks, gaps loose mortar areas to repair. (many small, but a few good ones)
It would take me much longer to do this on my own, and I have many other projects to attend to that I can't pay someone to do.
This guy has a crew and they will finish in a day.

These guys rebuilt my chimney about 8 years ago. Good work, competitive pricing. Clean.

Nice, thanks. Not sure if he is willing to come out my way but I'll be sure to contact if the need arises.

Was one of them Fix My Brick? I am having them do some work for me. I cant find one bad review on them...kind of worried me....lol

Was one of them Fix My Brick? I am having them do some work for me. I cant find one bad review on them...kind of worried me....lol

Yes, Not going to post anything negative. I can tell you what our conversation was when I see you.
I'm sure they will do a fine job.

Fix My Brick seem to be the go-to in our Hamilton neighborhood of 100+ year old houses. So far, haven't heard a complaint from the folks I do know, and the ones I don't seem to leave their sign up for a long time, so they must be happy too.

One thing to check, though: how old is the house? Older houses ('30s and earlier, I think) used lime mortar which is much softer and has more flex. If you point with new, harder cement mortar, it will crack/shatter the old bricks, as they change size slightly with temperature, and the cement mortar doesn't give enough to allow that to happen. Probably not an issue, but the fact that the second guy wanted to replace bricks raised a bit of a red flag, as he may not want to be bothered with the much slower-setting lime mortar.

Fix My Brick seem to be the go-to in our Hamilton neighborhood of 100+ year old houses. So far, haven't heard a complaint from the folks I do know, and the ones I don't seem to leave their sign up for a long time, so they must be happy too.

One thing to check, though: how old is the house? Older houses ('30s and earlier, I think) used lime mortar which is much softer and has more flex. If you point with new, harder cement mortar, it will crack/shatter the old bricks, as they change size slightly with temperature, and the cement mortar doesn't give enough to allow that to happen. Probably not an issue, but the fact that the second guy wanted to replace bricks raised a bit of a red flag, as he may not want to be bothered with the much slower-setting lime mortar.
Valid point. I was involved with a century old stone church in downtown TO. They went with a low price for repointing and the contractor used a hard mortar. It was causing th stone to spall, had to be chipped out, stones patched and then the mortar replaced.

Valid point. I was involved with a century old stone church in downtown TO. They went with a low price for repointing and the contractor used a hard mortar. It was causing th stone to spall, had to be chipped out, stones patched and then the mortar replaced.
The quickest way to check is to spray vinegar onto the mortar. If it's lime, it'll fizz up, a bit like Alka Seltzer or like vinegar and baking soda. Cement will bubble a bit, but it won't be nearly as dramatic. I know, because my house is built in 1914, and the mortar fizzes like crazy.

As I'm looking at doing some pointing myself this summer, I know there are a few places where you can take a sample and they'll do you up a custom mix to match what's already there.

And to be clear, not all brick will break. It all comes down to how hard it is. But it's much safer to replace like with like rather than find out the hard way that you have softer, older brick.

A timely thread. My chimney started to lose tiny pieces of the brick and this winter a face of one brick fell off and I can see the the three mortar/cement columns in the middle part of the brick. No water leaking bit sure looks ugly.

A timely thread. My chimney started to lose tiny pieces of the brick and this winter a face of one brick fell off and I can see the the three mortar/cement columns in the middle part of the brick. No water leaking bit sure looks ugly.
Do you need the chimney? Ours is no longer needed as we got rid of the fireplaces and went high efficiency on the furnacea and hot water.

My house is 39 yrs old. I'll just assume that different companies have different ways of doing business and what they expect to make from each job....
Just find it odd for a company to come out for a repoint estimate and then refuse to offer it...

Do you need the chimney? Ours is no longer needed as we got rid of the fireplaces and went high efficiency on the furnacea and hot water.
I need it, it serves 2 fireplaces. We converted them to gas around 20 years ago, and use one a lot to heat up the basement which is the family room.

My house is 39 yrs old. I'll just assume that different companies have different ways of doing business and what they expect to make from each job....
Just find it odd for a company to come out for a repoint estimate and then refuse to offer it...
I don’t find it odd at all. I actually think he did the right thing.

Job is simply too small for him to travel out there, and when he does quote you the price will be primarily the travel and mobilization fee.

I think he did the right thing instead of giving you the ‘F off’ quote that you 100% balk at.

I don’t find it odd at all. I actually think he did the right thing.

Job is simply too small for him to travel out there, and when he does quote you the price will be primarily the travel and mobilization fee.

I think he did the right thing instead of giving you the ‘F off’ quote that you 100% balk at.
Nah, it was for the entire front of my home, this was discussed in great detail prior to any visit taking place.
If that is too small of a job, why did they even bother to come out in the first place, that is what has me confused.
But no loss, getting job done within my Budget by another highly reviewed company somin the end it's all good.

Nah, it was for the entire front of my home, this was discussed in great detail prior to any visit taking place.
If that is too small of a job, why did they even bother to come out in the first place, that is what has me confused.
But no loss, getting job done within my Budget by another highly reviewed company somin the end it's all good.
Well in my experience what a customer says a job is, and what it actually is when a contractor arrives can be two very different things. Not saying this is the case but over 20+ years in small contracting, consulting, and working for a civil contractor the miscommunication (deliberate or not) is real and he could have imagined it differently.

I’ve also had situations where the job looked good but when I got to talking to the person I immediately said to myself ‘I’m not dealing with this person’ due to whatever vibes I’m getting. It’s worked so far as everyone I’ve worked with previously has been a repeat customer so somethings working.

Regardless. So long as you’re happy and have found a good contractor is all that really matters. It’s a relationship in the end and both parties have to be on board for it to work to everyone’s satisfaction and benefit.

Timely thread indeed ... fixmybrick.ca is doing the work here for me. Not sure what is causing this but I wouldn't rule out squirrels as I've seen one scratching it's claws on the window ledge.

Brick-damaged.jpgBrick-damaged2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom