Anyone here have an S4 | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here have an S4

Sunny... you're factually right - they didn't do as well as you would like. However, until this new test was released, NOBODY BUILT A CAR TO WITHSTAND THAT SPECIFIC CRASH TEST. Some cars passed it because they either had advance notice, or for some other reason, they didn't get a poor rating. That means that you have to practically write off *ALMOST EVERY* car from *EVERY YEAR PREVIOUS TO 2014*. If you're willing to rush right out and buy the specific pre-2014 vehicles that did pass, or willing to buy only cars that have been re-designed specifically to pass this test, then fine. But it's utterly ridiculous to think that the inability to pass this BRAND NEW test makes any of those other cars inherently unsafe.

And what really blows me away is imagining that you ride a motorcycle, but this is a big scary thing for you.

My e46 bmw had a subframe issue where the whole wheel system can rip apart from the chassis. There was a recall issued in the US & I spoke to the dealer, they only wanted to pay 50% of the costs. I asked them how much that is, they said $6000. I just laughed.

Good old BMW. I'm sure you know this isn't the first time something like this has happened with them. I love to drive (some of) their cars, but my friends and acquaintances that have owned them all seem to have some horror story to tell. The latest for me was my lawyer, who had the V10 in his M5 spin all the bottom end bearings on the 417 when he went to pass. Sure, the motor had about 200K on it, but... I'm just saying. The replacement was $10K plus labour, I imagine it was a used engine, too. He said he has more money in that car now than if he'd just gone out and bought a new 5 series. Despite all of that, he's still a BMW fan.

Some of the basic luxuries can be found in econoboxes. Like my Elantra has 4 heated seats (which entry level luxury car has that?) ; mirror defrost & other luxuries. I believe some entry level cars have been blurring the line of what these luxury cars have to offer, thus prompting the luxury manufacturers to add features we don't really need.

This is true to a point. My mother-in-law's Sonata has a fair bit of creature comforts. Some of those features work fairly nicely, too. But stepping out of my wife's Lexus when we went to visit her, and into her car to drive us all downtown was a shock. Everything about the car screams budget, from the interior materials to the driving experience. It's good, solid transportation and those additional features are welcome, but I can't imagine just jumping into that car to go on a nice weekend drive through the country unless the point of enjoying the drive was the destination, and not the journey.

Hell, I like driving my Sierra more than that. At least you know it's a truck, it sets your expectations before you turn the key.

It's good, solid transportation and those additional features are welcome, but I can't imagine just jumping into that car to go on a nice weekend drive through the country unless the point of enjoying the drive was the destination, and not the journey.

lol, so it really is true, people like their luxuries. I'm gonna get some Cashmere toilet paper to see what the fuss is all about.

Last edited:
How is that retarded?
My e46 bmw had a subframe issue where the whole wheel system can rip apart from the chassis. There was a recall issued in the US & I spoke to the dealer, they only wanted to pay 50% of the costs. I asked them how much that is, they said $6000. I just laughed.

The sad part was this issue manifested itself in the previous chassis model, the e36 and they did not rectify it. In other words they manufactured cars with a safety issue for more than 10yrs.

This was a simple design flaw which could've been fixed for $50 by the manufacturer. So my point is if they neglected simple things like that when you're paying 2x, that's totally unacceptable.

Some of the basic luxuries can be found in econoboxes. Like my Elantra has 4 heated seats (which entry level luxury car has that?) ; mirror defrost & other luxuries. I believe some entry level cars have been blurring the line of what these luxury cars have to offer, thus prompting the luxury manufacturers to add features we don't really need. Like electronic hand brakes, really? If a door is half ajar, it will automatically suck the door in... really? You're that lazy? How about the door on the trunk of an suv, closes with the touch of a button... are you not man enough to close that yourself? Then they ask why people are getting fat.

You're putting your life behind pristine finish? Lolz

You know if you're dead you can't enjoy that anymore.
What I'm saying is by your theory a lambo should be able to drive through brick walls 10 feet thick because of its cost. It doesn't work like that.

Honda lolz. Sunny you need some new material. That ish is getting real old :rolleyes:

Hah, Zerin Dube is in that S4 thread (horror story, for sure)... have known that guy since the mid 1990s. Dunno how many S4s he's owned now, at least four I expect.

And yeah, you will find stories like this all over the Internet for any manufacturer you can pick. Sounds like the dealership messed up that car. BTW, look up Lexus paint issues. At least that one is real, but Lexus won't do a thiing for you...

Do some searching. You can find **** like that for every manufacturer. How's the lawsuits with gm or Toyota doing? They have had plenty.

Really? lol.

Yes. And it seems the intent of that post, wrt the previous post bmw references.. and using the same language that refers to it, was not evident to you. Hopefully it is now.

Last edited:
A problem here or there with a car model is just reality.

A problem that happens repeatedly and often is a trend you pay attention to.

You ever see "Fight Club?" :)

They say every german automobile enthusiast has another reliable car in their driveway.

For me there is no other luxury than getting ready for work & going out & turning my ignition to find me motor running. Not getting stuck on the 401 waiting for a tow truck to arrive. Days of me working on my car on a Saturday or spending my day at a dealer to get my car fixed is long gone. That's a luxury for me.

One more thing before I log out. I compare those cars as dating a hot model:
-good to look at & showoff to your friends
-but high maintenance & make sure you're willing to spend
-not something you want in a Long term relationship

For me there is no other luxury than getting ready for work & going out & turning my ignition to find me motor running.

+1

Taking into account average wages and the cost of living why buy expensive and loaded just to go down the same road? Buy 3 cars for the price of 1 and drive carefree. Unless living on inheritance money or whatever.

Yes, this is the case. Better that the car crumple than your skull.

I got ahold of my friend Mike (VAG service manager) and he confirmed that the quattro version of the A4 is essentially the same drivetrain (minus engine of course) that the S4 has, and I misunderstood him WRT the A3 Haldex. However, the FWD version of the A4 has a CVT transmission and no Quattro pieces in it. Which, I am sure I could have found out by cruising Audi's site, but didn't want to. According to him, the S4 has been one of Audi's most reliable cars, for whatever reason; most of the issues are either sensor replacement or the stupid plastic thermostats that all the German cars seem to use. There was a mechatronic transmission issue in the early cars, but it didn't show up in the Canadian market, as it has to do with the transmission overheating in stop & go traffic queues in hot regions like you'd find in LA or possibly summer in NY - this was fixed with addition of a cooler and the B8.5 has a transmission revision with no reported issues to date (three model years). I assume the Germans didn't have that kind of environment to test in. The manual has no reported issues at all, though if you insist on doing drag launches at full throttle and slipping the clutch, you're on your own there... heh
Thanks alot for the help. Appreciate it!

+1

Taking into account average wages and the cost of living why buy expensive and loaded just to go down the same road? Buy 3 cars for the price of 1 and drive carefree. Unless living on inheritance money or whatever.

Its like how everyone on this forum feels about motorcycles... dangerous, can only be ridden on nice days, short season..alot of restrictions... yet we still love them.

Same goes for cars. Id rather have one car i love to drive than 3 that i use because i want to drive "carefree". If you dont get that then there is no point in discussing it

Its like how everyone on this forum feels about motorcycles... dangerous, can only be ridden on nice days, short season..alot of restrictions... yet we still love them.

Same goes for cars. Id rather have one car i love to drive than 3 that i use because i want to drive "carefree". If you dont get that then there is no point in discussing it

+1 towards the end of last years riding season I found myself ditching the bike Saturday mornings and hitting up the local twistys in my car instead.

I just looked to the front to see that you're the original poster, so your comments are more than fair.

Back
Top Bottom