Anyone had LASIK? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone had LASIK?

@inreb interested to hear about your experience. Bochner is one of the best along with Herzig and TLC.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Best based on what? Affiliated to sports teams? Radio ads? Everybody's surgeon is the "best". My acl repair? Best acl guy in the province(sarcasm) How would I know?

Anyway,

1996, pre google when you trusted Doctors with the truth. Based on their assessment ie. good candidate, high 90% success rates, hundreds procedures performed. I went ahead with PRK. Complications ensued. They went silent. In 1997 the Bochner Eye Institute published a manual for laser eye surgery directed to the industry. I got a copy and read that everything they told me was a lie. For a guy with my prescription there is no high 90% success rate, they had done very few and the failure was so bad that they strongly advised against performing the procedure. They gave me all my money back. In 2004 Herzig did some repair so I get by ok. I have zero depth perception because I only ever had one good eye in the first place.

My eyes were ~-3 with astygmatism (~-1). I had it done a decade ago by LasikMD (the expensive procedure [~4000], not the cheap one) and had one touch up on one eye a few years later (my dominant eye had regressed to -1). Now I am ~-0.5. Both times were done by Dr. Wallerstein at First Canada Place. I have noticed that depth perception and night vision are slightly off (but that could be from age??). On the upside, I used to wear contacts (which didn't correct the astygmatism) and sunglasses, sometimes the contacts would be in for much longer than the recommended period (like on snowmobile trips), I never sprung for prescription sunglasses. Since getting lasik, I wear sunglasses almost every day which should be good for my eyes long term.

LasikMD advertise for 500/eye but I asked them about that and it is basically false as anyone requiring so little correction that they would do it for $500 shouldn't be getting it done.

Before I got it done, I read every journal article ever written on Lasik & PRK. At the time, the outcomes from using a laser to create the flap as opposed to a microkeratome were significantly worse. TLC was advertising their "all-laser" procedure to try to draw in patients. I lost all respect for a medical facility that would propose a much more dangerous procedure to try to convince people that they are the best choice (many people don't like their eyes touched). Basically the knife creates slight ridges that help the flap stick down while the laser creates perfectly smooth surfaces that make it easier to dislodge the flap. I am not sure if this is still the case or not.

Don't count on a medical rebate on your income tax helping to pay for this. If your plans are going to cover $2250, you will get nothing or almost nothing back.

Damn @inreb that really sucks. I mean, we are skeptical about anything to do with our eyes, and then for them to botch it up is terrible. I went in around the same time, 1996ish, and they told me that they could not help me. Maybe because they did yours first? Anyway, I shouldn't have named names. Best for anyone to do their own due diligence.
Afterthought: it totally makes sense now on why you couldn't see just how awesome I was riding away from that ice cream shop.

Contact lens wearer here. I sometimes consider having the surgery done. But whoever decided it would be a good idea to promote the procedure by insisting on the fact that LASERS are being shot into your eyes needs a punch or twelve to the genital area.

@JB, I can still make out shapes or misshapes as the case may be.

Had mine done almost 17 yrs ago now and havent looked back. The technology has improved greatly since i had mine done.

I was one of many who walked into a "grand opening" special for both eyes. $1200 all in .. yes re-read that.
The next day i was 20/20 in both eyes, and to this day im not that far off from it still. The first year i had to keep a stock of eye drops to keep my eyes moist.

The only downfall is people who had it done years ago, you will hear them talk about night time halo effect. I get it but completely adjusted to it.

6+ years since getting it done and no issues. My only regret is not doing it sooner!
I had a similar experience and cost as what GreyGhost posted so no need to repeat. Had mine done at Lasik in North York. I had the night halo effect for maybe a month or 2 and nothing since.

Brother had it done within the last 5-10 years, he is completely satisfied with the results. I'm fairly sure it was wavefront PRK, and it was at whatever clinic used to be @ Yonge & York Mills. He researched the **** out of it and chose that clinic (but since it doesn't exist anymore that recommendation is useless to you). The procedure itself was extremely brief, recovery took a while (I think maximum visual acuity took almost half a year) but in the end he had great vision, did not require any further "adjustments", and sees better than he ever did with glasses.

I remember he was bored out of his mind during the first stage of recovery though (eyes covered)

I just had this done this year, after 41 years of wearing glasses.

They corrected one eye and left the other, then when time comes,they will fix other one.

Never been happier, worth all the $$$

I had lasik Nov/15, Cost more than my bike did lol but it was totally worth it. It was also much quicker than I had thought, about 10-15 seconds per eye. First day or two it felt like I was walking around with glasses, couldnt read my phone even on the biggest font size but you get your good vision pretty quick. Worst part was trying to sleep with the sunglasses they give you for the first few nights. Total cost was like $4400, no promotions going on at the time I got it done but a few weeks later they were offering like $500 off, go figure.

The best $2k I ever spent (did it back in 2005 at Lasik in Mississauga).

i call bs, flaps??

yes, there is a flap. they cut your eye before they use the laser. i believe there are 2 different ways to make the flap but its been about 5 years since i looked into it.
http://www.lasikcomplications.com/flapdislocation.htm

sorry, its called PRK. this is the one that military accepts...possibly only for their just pilots.
the doctor will tell you they are not responsible if you are not able to apply for certain jobs because of the surgery.
http://www.bochner.com/services_prk.php

Been wearing glasses since about 10 (34 now), and have terrible long distance vision...can read thing up close, but without glasses I can't even read my speed off the dashboard, let alone see the end of the hood clearly.

Always thought about laser eye surgery, but honestly it still scares me that they could somehow screw up and leave you blind. I know the chances are low, but if I ever somehow lost my vision I'm not sure life would be worth living for me, honestly (would have to give up all my hobbies, my profession, etc, etc). If it were something to correct hearing, I'd be much less worried, so to speak.

As for costs it is high, but somewhat understandable. To avoid coke bottle glasses, my last set of lenses was the thinnest possible from Lenscrafters....insurance covered most, but the actual cost of the lenses alone (no frames) was about $750.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by EaZ8

be careful with that pilot license. im not sure if it is still valid unless you get the PRP (no flap) procedure, i know military only will allow PRP.
longer healing time but better results.

i would also advise against any discount places (may sound obvious....but man its your vision) go to bochner eye institute.
i didnt get it done, i wish i did but at the same time my vision isnt bad...i only wear glasses at night, and night vision is harder for them to fix.

i call bs, flaps??

turns out i flapped up (out to lunch) on this one, tx for the info

Did mine in 2007. Had really bad eyes -8 and -8.25 with high astigmatism. Went to the most reviewed place possible and highly recommended ... which was Bochner eye institute near St. George station. Cost me $4800 with a student discount at the time. Best investment yet. These guys are really good. My eyes started to heal after year 1 and they redid the surgery for free. Most places won't cover after a year.

It's your eyes. Find the best doctors you can. Multiple places and read up online on doctors. I do recommend Bochner eye institute. Talk with Dr. Stein.

My night vision still isn't as a good as it was before surgery which is common from what I hear. Halo effect etc... It's really bad when it rains at night.

They say recovery time is 24 to 48hrs for PRK. Took me a week. Get some audio books or something. You'll be bored out of your mind.

@link666 really? I have the same rx and they told me that I wasn't eligible. Mind you that was a while ago. I should probably look into it again.

@link666 really? I have the same rx and they told me that I wasn't eligible. Mind you that was a while ago. I should probably look into it again.

Anybody with a lot myopia and getting up in age should be looking at clear lens extraction ie; refractive lensectomy.

How long ago? I was 24ish when I did it. Get an assessment... it's free. I think I was one of those cases where the regular lasik guys said 'we need to refer you to someone else' lol

If your eyes are as bad as my eyes were go with the best.

At the time bochner and yonge eglinton were the only clinics recommended to me.

Did mine in 2007. Had really bad eyes -8 and -8.25 with high astigmatism. Went to the most reviewed place possible and highly recommended ... which was Bochner eye institute near St. George station. Cost me $4800 with a student discount at the time. Best investment yet. These guys are really good. My eyes started to heal after year 1 and they redid the surgery for free. Most places won't cover after a year.

It's your eyes. Find the best doctors you can. Multiple places and read up online on doctors. I do recommend Bochner eye institute. Talk with Dr. Stein.

My night vision still isn't as a good as it was before surgery which is common from what I hear. Halo effect etc... It's really bad when it rains at night.

They say recovery time is 24 to 48hrs for PRK. Took me a week. Get some audio books or something. You'll be bored out of your mind.
so you did the PRK (no flap) at bochner?
i was reading that the PRK is more "painful" than the procedure with the flap, and $4800 for PRK sounds like you got a good deal, i think that bochner quoted me the same for the flap procedure (i think it was 5 yrs ago)

fairly sure that bochner had lifetime touch ups.???.

Back
Top Bottom