Anyone going September 13th? TMP | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone going September 13th? TMP

Anyone going the 14th? Will be there with a buddy hope to see a few familiar faces in the crowd.

Off topic, but on topic. TMP noise level. Never been there planning on going September 13th. Read the rule on 103db at 5 meter, but at what rpm? How can I tell if I'll pass? ZX7R Muzzy pipe.
They absolutely don't test noise level. I've seen people run with open headers and they didn't even say anything. And I thought MY exhaust was loud!!

Will do my best to attend this day. Need to find some ramps to see if my bike will fit into the back of my mini van. The measurements say i have enough room, but loading it and unloading it by myself is a whole other story.
There will always be people to help you unload and re-load at the track day. If you can get it in your van at home, don't worry about unpacking and repacking it at the track ;)

Last edited:
Or he can use the brake Markers (Lines on the side of the track)

Agreed, but baby steps.... He's new to track.
If he's off the gas well before the end of the wall, do you really think he's going to be capable of staying on the gas till the brake markers and then successfully navigate turn 1?
Not too likely methinks.

Agreed, but baby steps.... He's new to track.
If he's off the gas well before the end of the wall, do you really think he's going to be capable of staying on the gas till the brake markers and then successfully navigate turn 1?
Not too likely methinks.
He won't know until he tries like we all did, sometimes it is hard to pass that mental barrier as our brains are not used to speed, that is why using a marker helps you go over that barrier, he can easily chicken out and then brake earlier than the marker but now he has something to shoot for, if he counts to 2, he will most likely be stuck in counting to 2 and never brake later than 2.

Just my opinion as we all have different ways to go about it.

to OP: I think what's setting people off is that you're using the terms like "use clutch to stabilize the bike".. like no. I'm incredibly slow and a total noob and I have never needed to drop into first in any corner at TMP. I'll be there on Saturday, riding in your group. I just ask that you take it the **** easy so we both get home in one piece.

to OP: I think what's setting people off is that you're using the terms like "use clutch to stabilize the bike".. like no. I'm incredibly slow and a total noob and I have never needed to drop into first in any corner at TMP. I'll be there on Saturday, riding in your group. I just ask that you take it the **** easy so we both get home in one piece.

I'll take everyone's advice and see what happens. Although ever since I took corners in first gear passing people on straights wasn't nearly as big of an issue as it was before. I can't deny that it made me overall faster coming out of the corners but if everyone says it's wrong what do I know right.

The only reason I can think of is that I'm taking corners too slow initially to begin with, but then again I'm tailgating most of the riders in the green group around corners so not everything adds up yet.

People shouldn't be set off period, any community should be particularly welcome to new recruits. Does feathering the clutch stabilize a bike in first gear? Yes it does. Is first gear good for cornering? Apparently not. I only drop into first to keep the RPMs as high as possible before redlining most of the time

I didn't push any of my views and never played devil's advocate nor did I say anyone else was wrong. Then again I can see this as a testosterone/ego fueled sport, even MORE so than bodybuilding which was a HUGE past-time of mine. Getting angry/frustrated at the inexperienced is childish and it's not something I'd do in my areas of expertise. It's like the biggest guy in the gym putting down the new skinny kid. It's an exaggerated example so I'm not looking to start another flame session, just sayin.

I did learn a bit in this thread though so that's pretty cool. I just need to implement it and have it all come together in practice.

Anyhow, I may either be there saturday or the sunday, unsure of my plans still. I then travel which unfortunately makes me miss almost all the rest of this season's track days.

Last edited:
The only reason I can think of is that I'm taking corners too slow initially to begin with, but then again I'm tailgating most of the riders in the green group around corners so not everything adds up yet.

So why don't you register for Intermediate?

Stop tailgating the slower riders. What your doing is drag racing basically. Leave a gap of about 5-6 bike lengths and go through the corner at your pace. If you time it right you'll catch the other rider shortly after your exiting the corner. You'll have carried enough speed that the other rider can't beat you in the "drag race" to the next corner where if your speed is higher than you'll pull another gap and your on your own.

Stop tailgating the slower riders. What your doing is drag racing basically. Leave a gap of about 5-6 bike lengths and go through the corner at your pace. If you time it right you'll catch the other rider shortly after your exiting the corner. You'll have carried enough speed that the other rider can't beat you in the "drag race" to the next corner where if your speed is higher than you'll pull another gap and your on your own.
I agree with this 100% this is what I attempt to do, I'm out powered as my bike is 17 years old and power to weight is poor as I'm over 230#.
As in most racing, you gotta beat them in the corner.

It's like the biggest guy in the gym putting down the new skinny kid.

skinny guy shouldn't tell the big guy how to lift, and get defensive when the biggest guy is telling him he is all wrong

sort of like fat people always seem to educated me on nutrition

I know track riding is fun, but i think (and I'm being serious) is for you to take up drag racing.

Did you watch that video yet?

Once the throttle is cracked on, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and consistently throughout the remainder of the turn.

Last edited:
Off topic question... are these track days for SS ( or Sv 650 and up?)?

What is the smallest displacement bike allowed on this track during this event?

50cc pit bike minimum for novice group, 125cc minimum for intermediate or advanced group.

Wow! That will be an awesum way to learn! Going fast with the big dogs on a small bike! Stealing their lines...I can see it all now!

Thanks!

I'll take everyone's advice and see what happens. Although ever since I took corners in first gear passing people on straights wasn't nearly as big of an issue as it was before. I can't deny that it made me overall faster coming out of the corners but if everyone says it's wrong what do I know right.

People shouldn't be set off period, any community should be particularly welcome to new recruits. Does feathering the clutch stabilize a bike in first gear? Yes it does. Is first gear good for cornering? Apparently not. I only drop into first to keep the RPMs as high as possible before redlining most of the time

I didn't push any of my views and never played devil's advocate nor did I say anyone else was wrong. Then again I can see this as a testosterone/ego fueled sport, even MORE so than bodybuilding which was a HUGE past-time of mine. Getting angry/frustrated at the inexperienced is childish and it's not something I'd do in my areas of expertise. It's like the biggest guy in the gym putting down the new skinny kid. It's an exaggerated example so I'm not looking to start another flame session, just sayin.

I did learn a bit in this thread though so that's pretty cool. I just need to implement it and have it all come together in practice.

Anyhow, I may either be there saturday or the sunday, unsure of my plans still. I then travel which unfortunately makes me miss almost all the rest of this season's track days.

We all started as new "track day riders". Advice in writing is ok but it really won't help when your on a bike going into a turn. ( hard to read and ride. Lol). Ask any rider in the "advance" group. They are more than happy to help show you good lines
I'm not the fastest rider at TMP but I can keep up. I'm pretty sure Dave Buckland will be running the days if not GWB. Dave lets a few of us bounce in any group to help ( we are plastered with all group stickers).
Work on consistency and being smooth, rather than the 100yard drag race.

Sent from my imaginary friend

Looking for someone to show me the lines at TMP, never seen the track I'm a noob to track days as well. Maybe even some pointers on my style. I wish to get better.

49over is there most of the time, and is stupidly quick. If its a guys with bikes weekend you can ask mitch, also ridiculously quick.

Back
Top Bottom