Any other Zero riders? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any other Zero riders?

Congrats on the new ride anterbae! I'm really looking forward to the day I get a chance to ride an electric motorcycle. They aren't on my radar just yet for owning one but I think they are awesome and if it works for you then great.

Didn't the OP already confirm he had the tire on backwards, and Trials was indeed correct? Or did I miss something...
Other way round; tire is facing the right way based on the directional arrow on the side.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hey Anterbae, do you get to use the Tesla charging stations, or somewhere else?

Hey Anterbae, do you get to use the Tesla charging stations, or somewhere else?
I can charge at any regular 110V outlet, as well as any Level 2 charging station (because I opted for the 'charge tank' addon). 110V will take ~9 hours to charge, Level 2 takes ~60-90 minutes. As I understand it Tesla has Level 3 stations, and those can only be used by Teslas.

I can charge at any regular 110V outlet, as well as any Level 2 charging station (because I opted for the 'charge tank' addon). 110V will take ~9 hours to charge, Level 2 takes ~60-90 minutes. As I understand it Tesla has Level 3 stations, and those can only be used by Teslas.

9 hours to charge??? That is insane. How much did the upgrade to Level 2 cost if you do not mind my asking?

9 hours to charge??? That is insane. How much did the upgrade to Level 2 cost if you do not mind my asking?
Oh I know, 9 hours is craziness! Fine if you can plug it in overnight and go, not great if you get caught out and about. Upgrade was just under $3000.

Oh I know, 9 hours is craziness! Fine if you can plug it in overnight and go, not great if you get caught out and about. Upgrade was just under $3000.

That is a big upgrade that really feels like it should come stock that way. Waiting to charge for 9 hours is just way to long, they should just stop using level 1 and make level 2 the standard.

Did the upgrade change/add battery capacity as well so it could deal with higher charge rates or was that just a charger unlock?

If i recall the review from Zach Courts you can either get the bigger battery or the quick charge tank, not both.

[video=youtube;ijqMDJ8UkLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqMDJ8UkLc[/video]

about 11:30 for those interested.

That is a big upgrade that really feels like it should come stock that way. Waiting to charge for 9 hours is just way to long, they should just stop using level 1 and make level 2 the standard.
Agreed!

Did the upgrade change/add battery capacity as well so it could deal with higher charge rates or was that just a charger unlock?
It's a separate unit that goes into what would otherwise be a storage space, where your gas tank normally is, that allows it to take a higher charge rate. What's interesting is the sound of it charging using that option is louder than the sound of the bike running. It actually almost sounds like you're gassing up.

If i recall the review from Zach Courts you can either get the bigger battery or the quick charge tank, not both.
Just to clarify, because there are two 'bigger battery' options. The choice is between 'power pack' and 'charge tank'. They occupy the same space which is why you can't get both. There's also the option to get one or two batteries (I got two), and that's a separate choice from power pack and charge tank...if that makes sense.

Just to clarify, because there are two 'bigger battery' options. The choice is between 'power pack' and 'charge tank'. They occupy the same space which is why you can't get both. There's also the option to get one or two batteries (I got two), and that's a separate choice from power pack and charge tank...if that makes sense.

Nope, now im confused!

Nope, now im confused!
I'd try and explain, but I don't really understand the power tank enough to do that. I'm just being pedantic about him calling the power tank a bigger battery, when there are actual battery choices. The power tank adds some additional capacity, but I think it's through magic. :)

I'd try and explain, but I don't really understand the power tank enough to do that. I'm just being pedantic about him calling the power tank a bigger battery, when there are actual battery choices. The power tank adds some additional capacity, but I think it's through magic. :)

Okay so can you get 2 battery packs and the fast charger and the alternative is 2 battery packs and 1 more additional as capacity?

EDIT: On the website it says Charge tank for quick charge or Power tank for range.

Last edited:
Okay so can you get 2 battery packs and the fast charger and the alternative is 2 battery packs and 1 more additional as capacity?

EDIT: On the website it says Charge tank for quick charge or Power tank for range.
You can get 2 batteries, and either the fast charger, or power tank. Think of the power tank like a little boost - an additional 50-70km. You pay for that in charging time though, because not only can you not get the faster charging, it adds another 2 hours to fully charge from zero power.

You can get 2 batteries, and either the fast charger, or power tank. Think of the power tank like a little boost - an additional 50-70km. You pay for that in charging time though, because not only can you not get the faster charging, it adds another 2 hours to fully charge from zero power.

Gotcha, i see something about storage too. Guess that's what the 2nd battery cancels out.

Neat!

Gotcha, i see something about storage too. Guess that's what the 2nd battery cancels out.

Neat!
Storage is what the fast charger/power tank cancel out, which is too bad because it was a pretty significant amount of space too. Probably about the same as a medium sized tank bag. Bu tyou know, first world problems and all. :)
Just finished watching the video you posted; great review. His struggle getting the phone connected is the biggest problem I've had too. And I agree, the seat's too narrow. But if those are my biggest complaints, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Ok another question, what is the range on your bike?

Ok another question, what is the range on your bike?
On the model and setup I got, Zero claims anywhere between 110-240km, depending on traffic conditions (higher speed with limited/no braking = lower range). I'm gonna post stats after I've had it a while to see how realistic that is, but from all the reading I did they seem to be pretty accurate.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sounds about right what I have read .... the 240km locally and non-hwy is obviously not a problem. That should not stop anyone from buying one. The issue is the 110 lower end, because most people buy a this sort of bike to enjoy the speed and power which one has to take into a careful consideration when going out on 300km round trip ... you will be L2 charging twice and that assume that the ambient is +5C at least, ideally, 15C plus so no energy is wasted on conditioning the battery. For some it will not a deal breaker, for many it will. If you are riding alone and can plan your route carefully around L2 chargers, it will still limit you, but you can make it work. This is precisely the conundrum electric bikes are denereally in .... limited chassis space and still quite low battery density.

Someone else ask about Tesla superchargers ... no, only Tesla vehicles are permitted to use those.

Back
Top Bottom