Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

My wife made it almost all the way to work today on battery - literally only Kilometers away. She sent me an excited text about it, LOL. Glad to see her getting into it.

One thing is for sure, this mornings temperatures were in the sweet spot for the battery.
That's cool. Any luck getting a charger setup at work?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

My wife made it almost all the way to work today on battery - literally only Kilometers away. She sent me an excited text about it, LOL. Glad to see her getting into it.

One thing is for sure, this mornings temperatures were in the sweet spot for the battery.

How does the AC usage affect the mileage? Today was one of those days where stifling was the order of the day....

That's cool. Any luck getting a charger setup at work?

Unfortunately, no, not yet. It's still a topic of discussion, but hasn't happened yet. At this point even just a plain old 15A receptacle would be nice as she could get at least an 80-90% charge over an 8 hour work day.

I'm not getting overly upset about it - the decision to buy the Volt didn't revolve around getting a charger at work (we're still saving a ton regardless) but it would be nice if it does yet happen.

How does the AC usage affect the mileage? Today was one of those days where stifling was the order of the day....

The AC is extremely efficient compared to heat and doesn't have a massive effect on range. Maybe a few kilometers over a full charge.

It too has an Eco and Comfort mode, same as the heat settings - the Eco setting runs the compressor a little less often and lowers the fan speed, both of which use less electricity in the end but still do a fine job of cooling the cabin down, it just happens a little slower. On the "comfort" mode the fan runs wide open and the AC compressor runs constantly until the target temperature is achieved.

The AC is extremely efficient compared to heat and doesn't have a massive effect on range. Maybe a few kilometers over a full charge.

It too has an Eco and Comfort mode, same as the heat settings - the Eco setting runs the compressor a little less often and lowers the fan speed, both of which use less electricity in the end but still do a fine job of cooling the cabin down, it just happens a little slower. On the "comfort" mode the fan runs wide open and the AC compressor runs constantly until the target temperature is achieved.

Cool thanks was curious! If that car had a bigger trunk I think I'd grab one for my wife but with her job it won't work :( We need a car soon as her Elantra Touring is up for replacement.

Can you precondition using A/C?

Yeah I've been running the A/C the fast few days and it hasn't hampered the range much. I still got around 70kms to a full charge on Sunday heading to and from dinner with the GF.

Yesterday I preconditioned the car a minute before I got into it and it was already nice and cool inside.

I am surprised the car doesn't have a way of venting the inside air outside when it is parked.
Kinda like those little solar powered vent van units. Keep as much heat out therefore less ac needed to cool the car especially when you first get in.

I am surprised the car doesn't have a way of venting the inside air outside when it is parked.
Kinda like those little solar powered vent van units. Keep as much heat out therefore less ac needed to cool the car especially when you first get in.

IIRC prius had a solar powered fan as either an option or included on the top of the range model. It's much easier and more power efficient to crack the windows and have them raise automatically with rain (which is a feature on many other cars).

Don't forget that you can open up the windows as you approach the car by pressing and holding down the unlock button until you see the windows start to open (will also unlock driver door) ... at least allows the hot air out before you get in assuming you don't just remote start it instead to be cool when you get in.

If you want to unlock all doors press twice but hold down on the 2nd press instead.

I agree with Sunny that yeah, most people who own Teslas are probably leasing them and don't worry too much about warranties running out.

Despite all the talk of initial quality, the used Tesla market is doing exceptionally well.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/12/tesla-new-used-cars/

their Model X SUV was just recently tested as the "Safest SUV" every made. Thats some pretty good engineering if you ask me from such a young company.

Mark my words, Tesla will be a force to reckon with... They will overtake Apple.

Mark my words, Tesla will be a force to reckon with... They will overtake Apple.

If you take the number of iPhones sold in a year (over 200 million last year to use a recent statistic) and then compare that to the number of Teslas produced last year (~83,000) and then took the percentage of problems that regularly occur in a Tesla and extrapolate that to the number of iPhones produced, well, there would be hordes of angry people with flaming pitchforks on Apples doorsteps.

Tesla needs to get it's quality control sorted out. Again, the rick folks are willing to deal with sillyness like a 2 year old car needing THREE new seats (honestly, SEATS (!) of all things), but could you imagine if GM, Ford, or Chrysler put out cars with similar MAJOR quality issues?

I hope Tesla does well, but if they can't get their quality issues sorted out they are going to feel the wrath of the masses (and a metric crap ton of bad press that's going to come along with it) when they start marketing and selling to said masses with the model 3.

also you likely could make an EV like the volt with a hydrogen range extender,

That would be silly. If you're going to store any hydrogen at all in an EV then you store only hydrogen, not batteries, since its energy density is so much higher.

I take that back, what you said actually makes sense.

Just read that Magna has developed a fuel cell / battery hybrid. The idea is the battery would be used for local travel, since they provide enough range and people stop long enough to be able to recharge, but the hydrogen fuel cell provides quick filling for cross country trips, with the need to build only a small number of H2 filling stations along highways.

http://canada.autonews.com/article/...its-hydrogen-fuel-cell-range-extender-for-evs

Pretty clever in fact.

It might be clever, but not very feasible as a significant contender to replace ICE.

Fuel cell is a no go for very foreseeable future (for a long list of reasons). Companies, like Honda and other will find governments who will keep spending our tax dollars to support to development (California is a great example). Instead of using the best available clean method for years to come and perfect it.

I hope Tesla does well, but if they can't get their quality issues sorted out they are going to feel the wrath of the masses (and a metric crap ton of bad press that's going to come along with it) when they start marketing and selling to said masses with the model 3.

It would have to be a major blowout, and even if that happened, they have so many heavy backers, that it's almost impossible to fail. In the next couple of years, they will become so big, that they will be too big to fail ... not because a government will bail them out (quite on-contrary as far as the current one goes), but rather because investors will just not let them fail. I really think they are past that point, even with M3 not being out yet. Delays and quality issues are only things the naysayers seem to make a big deal about, not the people who are invested in them or who support them in their efforts.

Things simply developed for them the right way, at the right time .... from all the startups they might be the only one making a large and measurable impact, but they will be big.

Investors have been ready to bail from Tesla many times since it started up. Currently, they need to see the Model 3 deliver serious revenue or they will bail (that's why Musk is taking a huge risk by trying to shortcut the validation phase of production). Big revenue won't happen if they have more cars waiting for repairs than they can fit in the parking lot, which is very nearly happening already with the Model S and X.

It's not just the higher volume of Model 3 cars that create that risk, but the more demanding customers. Early Adopters are always more forgiving of a product's shortcomings, but the 3 will pass that phase of the product cycle very quickly, selling to more mainstream consumers sooner (see SunnY). They will not put up with the shiz Tesla's been producing so far.

Having said all that, it remains to be seen. Tesla's squeezed through these predicaments before. Maybe they have a plan. Maybe they're smarter than every other car company. Maybe they'll get lucky. But I wouldn't count on any of that.

Tesla's current business model draws pretty much all of its profit from government subsidies/research contracts. A stroke of Trumps pen and they instantly collapse with or without the 3. My guess is there is a planned collapse in the future after all of the first few rounds of investors have more money than god.

Tesla's current business model draws pretty much all of its profit from government subsidies/research contracts. A stroke of Trumps pen and they instantly collapse with or without the 3. My guess is there is a planned collapse in the future after all of the first few rounds of investors have more money than god.
That's a pretty fanciful prediction. You might want to try incorporating some reality in there to make it sound like you know what you're talking about rather than sounding like paranoid rantings against the New World Order feeding off our blood sweat and tears.

1- Tesla has never made a profit worth mentioning; https://ycharts.com/companies/TSLA/profit_margin You probably meant 'revenue'.

2- The portion of $7500 per car federal incentives that went to Tesla cars last year represents about 5% of their revenue (assuming they jacked the price by that much just to fleece the program).

3- Trump can stroke all the pens he wants, it has never had any effect.

4- Assuming Trump somehow manages to end the incentive program (and that Tesla drops their prices by the same amount) they'll lose maybe 3% of their revenue for only the next 2 years, since that incentive is already set to wind down anyways as each manufacturer hits 200,000 EV sales. In Tesla's case, that's likely to be in 2018. It definitely won't cause an "instant collapse" of Tesla.

5- If large investors try to cash out a significant part of their Tesla shares, the share price will crash. They won't get much money out of the deal, and would probably face an SEC investigation.

LOL ... sorry, I could not react in any other way, because I have read a lot of "crystal ball" Tesla-end non-sense over the last two years, but I have never heard this one so heavily weighted on government's doing.

Back
Top Bottom