Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

New issue: what happens when a 3rd or 4th guy/ gal gets a EV? More chargers? Share? What if one EV is coming from further away? Does it get priority?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Yeah, I wonder about the Ev etiquette that is still in its infancy.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Good manners never go out of style.

Or maybe he's doing a winter tire test for winter tire thread. Consider all possibilities, don't jump to conclusionoids.

I think he ended up testing how the car reverses out of a ditch and the impact of the guard rail on the front bumper.

I think he ended up testing how the car reverses out of a ditch and the impact of the guard rail on the front bumper.

I can't find fault with this post. Carry on good sir. Altho, to be honest, a little EV content wouldn't be out of place.

New issue: what happens when a 3rd or 4th guy/ gal gets a EV? More chargers? Share? What if one EV is coming from further away? Does it get priority?

Good ol fight to the death for EV charger seems like the proper thing to do.

This is what you'd want to be seen in?

2016-honda-clarity-fuel-cell-NCI-2.jpg

that is a design with purpose, to cheat the wind.

Additionally, studies show the "Eco ppl" want their vehicles to stand out from the crowd to chest thump their eco status. Thats why majority of EV cars and hyper hybrids are styled a little differently. True Story.

Just buy a proper hybrid. and skip all the plug in nonsense.....

Additionally, studies show the "Eco ppl" want their vehicles to stand out from the crowd to chest thump their eco status. Thats why majority of EV cars and hyper hybrids are styled a little differently. True Story.

As much as I hate to do this, I think Sunny just got 2 points on the board ?

So EV buyers can never win with you. They either buy a 'showy' car as a means of virtue signaling (which you're OK with since it validates the ugly Honda), or they buy a regular-looking car that you deem unworthy of being seen in. You're such a mess of contradictions, you really need to stop.

So are you saying their other cars are under designed and built NOT to cheat the wind which = lesser gas mileage

Are you saying the Tesla designs do not cheat the wind that they failed also.

So are you saying their other cars are under designed and built NOT to cheat the wind which = lesser gas mileage

Are you saying the Tesla designs do not cheat the wind that they failed also.

A lot of motorcycles are not designed to cheat the wind also. This could get interesting, once I figure out how that fits into the current narrative. Will be back, hopefully sooner than later. In the mean time I'm going to check out What's for dinner.

Not necessarily, just saying in the case of the Honda pictured, it was designed with the lowest drag co-efficient of any Honda product. If you study most electric vehicle designs, they follow a similar formula with air cheating tricks and low resistance tires and such. the Clarity is also the worlds first automobile with functional air curtain ducts on the rear doors.

Electric cars are indeed the "future", hence the "futuristic" looking interpretation from auto designers today seen in most most Electric vehicles on the market.

Last edited:
These guys don't know from squat about low resistance, not until they cam mimic an electric eel swimming upstream would I ever consider one of these rolling frauds.

Good ol fight to the death for EV charger seems like the proper thing to do.

Charger etiquette is well hashed out.

- Pure EV's get highest priority, but short range ones like the Leaf get the highest priority because sometimes a charge at point B is the difference between getting home, or not. Teslas/Bolts (or other similar high-range pure EV's) come next, although a lot of people question this when a Tesla/Bolt that might still have 300+KM of range (and might only need small handful of it to get home) are hogging level 2 chargers which are comparatively slow for them anyways. Typically the higher range EV's seek out faster chargers than the standard level-2 units you might see at places like malls anyways so they're often not competing for them.

- Range extended EV's like the Volt get middle priority...since technically, they *can* continue on gas even with the battery completely dead.

- Wannabe EV plug in hybrids like the first generation Prius Prime (with an anemic 18KM range) go last since the battery range doesn't get them far to begin with - at least a Volt driver will run 50-90K on a charge.

Oh yeah, pull up in a Tesla Model S.... Instant WIN.

You have an absolutely astounding way of contradicting yourself over and over again, only mere responses apart at that.

In the meantime, every time you continue to spout the "plug in nonsense" crap I'm going to post this.

360 Kilometer drive:

EV = $5.00
Hybrid = $21.60

Anyone reading the thread that doesn't have their head in the sand seems to understand these numbers.

Charger etiquette is well hashed out.

- Pure EV's get highest priority, but short range ones like the Leaf get the highest priority because sometimes a charge at point B is the difference between getting home, or not. Teslas/Bolts (or other similar high-range pure EV's) come next, although a lot of people question this when a Tesla/Bolt that might still have 300+KM of range (and might only need small handful of it to get home) are hogging level 2 chargers which are comparatively slow for them anyways. Typically the higher range EV's seek out faster chargers than the standard level-2 units you might see at places like malls anyways so they're often not competing for them.

- Range extended EV's like the Volt get middle priority...since technically, they *can* continue on gas even with the battery completely dead.

- Wannabe EV plug in hybrids like the first generation Prius Prime (with an anemic 18KM range) go last since the battery range doesn't get them far to begin with - at least a Volt driver will run 50-90K on a charge.

Duck me... even in the world of EV one must bear some responsibility for others poor life choices. Too much.. or not enough. I'm all charged up. later.

Duck me... even in the world of EV one must bear some responsibility for others poor life choices. Too much.. or not enough. I'm all charged up. later.

A lot of people buy used first gen Leafs because their pricing is fairly attractive now, but with age related range loss they are struggling to find them to be realistic daily drivers and finding point-B charging almost essential if you're more than 30-40KM from home.

100,000KM Leafs are showing battery capacity losses in the 20-30% range, which when the factory range was only 118KM to begin with is fairly significant. Lack of battery cooling is a big part of the issue, especially in hot climates.

"Charging etiquette" might sorta work if all those people were talking together at the charging station to sort it out, but the reality is that whoever gets there first gets to plug in and others have to wait! Tesla already had to change their supercharger policy - with the Model 3, you'll have to pay, and with the S and X, you have to pay after the vehicle has finished charging ... the only way to coax people to come back to their car and unplug it and move it is to hit them in the wallet.

Eventually there will be enough charging stations that this won't be a problem any more.

As for the Honda Clarity's questionable styling vs drag coefficient ... Honda won't disclose Cd but the ugly coefficient is very high. Current Toyota Prius Cd = 0.24 but ugly coefficient also very high. Hyundai Ioniq is a far more mainstream design than the Prius but matches its Cd = 0.24. Tesla Model S also has Cd = 0.24 and I think it's an attractive and clean design. Tesla Model 3 reportedly Cd = 0.21 and aside from the blunt nose (which they've toned down in the production model!) it's also an attractive design.

Aerodynamic doesn't have to be ugly - Honda chose to make it ugly. I "get" that the greenies want their cars to show off their choices but the Prius sales numbers have been dropping and the awful appearance of that car surely is affecting that.

For reference, current VW Golf Mk7 has Cd = 0.27.

"Charging etiquette" might sorta work if all those people were talking together at the charging station to sort it out, but the reality is that whoever gets there first gets to plug in and others have to wait!

More or less, yes, but it's been my experience so far that EV owners are a tight knit community so most try to do what's right - but in the end, first come first served, yeah. Don't get me wrong, if I'm plugging in my Volt somewhere and a Leaf pulls up and the driver says he desperately needs a charge, I'll happily pull out for him to take the charger instead since I can continue on using gas of course, but once I've plugged in and disappeared that gets harder.

If you are checked in using an smartphone app like PlugShare however, people can post notes that might get your attention, and likewise stations that require smartphone authentication (like Flo or Chargepoint) you are sent a notification when your vehicle is full, so at that point it's considered good form to go unplug and move.

In the end, personally, we have used a public charging station a grand total of twice - once the day we first test drove the Volt before buying (when the dealer initially presented it to us flat dead) for 45 minutes, and my wife used a Chargepoint station at Vaughan Mills a few weeks ago for a few hours. For a Volt owner at least, they're more about convenience, hardly essential.

More or less, yes, but it's been my experience so far that EV owners are a tight knit community so most try to do what's right - but in the end, first come first served, yeah. Don't get me wrong, if I'm plugging in my Volt somewhere and a Leaf pulls up and the driver says he desperately needs a charge, I'll happily pull out for him to take the charger instead since I can continue on using gas of course, but once I've plugged in and disappeared that gets harder.

I can attest to this as I have been using public charging a fair bit and have interacted with these strange beings known as EV drivers. A Tesla S owner was trying to figure out the charging stations at an Ikea and I was watching and waiting. When he figured it out he came over and explained it to me even though I couldn't use those stations and needed just a level 2. He seemed quite concerned when he couldn't get it to work at first, but I didn't want to pry and ask if he had enough juice to get home.

A lady at a chargepoint station was hanging out in her Leaf while plugged in. We talked about ChargePoint cards and accounts and she seemed to really enjoy her Leaf.

Another time, as I plugged in my car a girl in a Bolt pulled in beside me and asked if the chargers were working and I said yes. She mentioned the other spot was not working and I offered her my spot but she said it wasn't necessary. I offered again but she said it was ok and she didn't need it.

If you are checked in using an smartphone app like PlugShare however, people can post notes that might get your attention, and likewise stations that require smartphone authentication (like Flo or Chargepoint) you are sent a notification when your vehicle is full, so at that point it's considered good form to go unplug and move.

I use both Plugshare and ChargePoint. Plugshare is really good at leaving comments about charger status and such. ChargePoint is really cool. When you make a free account they send you a chargepoint card for free and you just tap at the charger and it's really quick. The app lets you monitor the status of your charging and you can set it so it will send you notifications if your vehicle is unplugged.

Back
Top Bottom