Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 173 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Does this tie in to the vague price increase i noticed in the news?
Musk said the 3% price bump was required to fund the retail stores. No idea if this is reality or if it will do anything to prolong the life of the stores. Although brilliant, Musk acts very much like a small child and just blurts out whatever he is thinking without spending any time to evaluate its' impact or whether it is an appropriate statement.

Musk acts very much like a small child and just blurts out whatever he is thinking without spending any time to evaluate its' impact or whether it is an appropriate statement.

Agreed. Reminds me of someone else in the USA right now. ;)

In unrelated news, but relevant to this thread, the new ignore feature in this forum software is most excellent!

TG&M had an article stating there would be EV incentives in the upcoming federal budget. Haven’t read the article because it’s behind a paywall. Can’t find the info anywhere else.

I noticed a week or two back that there's now a provincial $1000 benefit for buying a used EV. Not bad - still far from the $14K incentive of old, but better than nothing, and hey, it applies to the used market which is even more interesting yet.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the Federal level. I'm considering a Gen2 Volt for my wife as a trade up. I'd hoped to get her interested in an affordable full EV alternative like the Kia Soul EV (my sister and BIL own one and love it, in addition to a Gen2 Volt) but she doesn't like the body style, and the Bolt is still too expensive as well even in the used market - if you can find one, they only last about 10 seconds when they pop up for a good price.

I was wondering why I don't remember seeing any talk about the BMW i8 in this thread.
Saw one on the road yesterday and I think it looks fantastic.
Just did a quick Google search and $150k for 37km range?
I wish I had stupid money like that.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I was wondering why I don't remember seeing any talk about the BMW i8 in this thread.
Saw one on the road yesterday and I think it looks fantastic.
Just did a quick Google search and $150k for 37km range?

And that's why you don't see many of them - they are status symbols more so than a serious vehicle. Heck, they don't even include an EVSE at that price, believe it or not - they are literally the only EV out there that doesn't include one by standard, so you not only spend $150K on the car and then need to spend hundreds (or thousands if you buy the probably way overpriced BMW branded model) more on top of that to even get a portable charger to charge your new $150K car. Ridiculous.

I drove one at the EV discovery centre in Toronto when I was there with my sister and BIL a few years ago before they bought their 2 EV's. It felt like something built with Lego to me - the inside is weird (they stress it's an "Eco" interior made with all sorts of recycled and recyclable material, but it just looks and feels cheap as a result) and it reminded me a lot of my old Chevy Aveo (super cheap econobox) in how it actually drove.

When I saw the price, yeah, we all laughed and walked away.

If the federal budget actually stands as is, there's some decent EV rebates in it again at the federal level.

But there’s a seemingly arbitrary cutoff of $45k for those rebates?

Anyone have a good write up of the EV incentives?

But there’s a seemingly arbitrary cutoff of $45k for those rebates?

Pretty sure that's there for two reasons:

1- Incentive for MFR's to produce models to the market at or under that price.

2- Avoiding the cries of "Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for rich peoples toys!" from before. Can't say I'm really against this one a whole lot - if you can afford an $80,000-$100,000+ Tesla..you don't really need government handouts to make it financially work out for ya. These rebates are pointed at people looking for run of the mill A to B vehicles who are willing to consider an EV, but just need a little help to crest the reality of them still costing a bit more.

Pretty sure that's there for two reasons:

1- Incentive for MFR's to produce models to the market at or under that price.

2- Avoiding the cries of "Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for rich peoples toys!" from before. Can't say I'm really against this one a whole lot - if you can afford an $80,000-$100,000+ Tesla..you don't really need government handouts to make it financially work out for ya. These rebates are pointed at people looking for run of the mill A to B vehicles who are willing to consider an EV, but just need a little help to crest the reality of them still costing a bit more.

There aren’t many eligible cars under $45k. The Kona EV is $45,500.

The base model Bolt is one of the few.

There aren’t many eligible cars under $45K

Want to bet that changes, especially if manufacturers see an opportunity to squeeze just under a line and gain a potentially major sales advantage?

Want to bet that changes, especially if manufacturers see an opportunity to squeeze just under a line and gain a potentially major sales advantage?

In the example of the Kona, sure.

I’m skeptical of MSRP bring reduced by thousands just to get under the price cap.

But who knows?!

Back
Top Bottom