Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 169 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

When it came to purchasing, a similarly appointed Cruze ($28k) wasn't much cheaper than the price I got the Volt for ($31k). Saving over 1k/year in fuel means the car will cover the difference between it and a Cruze within 2.5 years, at most 3 years. After that it's all savings and I plan to keep the car until its dead.
I think your prices are a bit off. A Cruze LT has a new market price of $19-20K depending on the time of year. That puts it out the door at $22600. VOLTS rarely dipped below $44K when rebates were on, you would have paid $39K before tax & rebate.

I think your prices are a bit off. A Cruze LT has a new market price of $19-20K depending on the time of year. That puts it out the door at $22600. VOLTS rarely dipped below $44K when rebates were on, you would have paid $39K before tax & rebate.

I think the point was that a base Volt has a lot more features than a base Cruze.

Regardless, now that the tax rebate is gone there’s no financial incentive to buy an EV.

I think the point was that a base Volt has a lot more features than a base Cruze.

So it seems that the differences between the base 2018 Volt & base 2018 Cruze are automatic transmission, hatchback, climate control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, larger wheels, 8" touch screen display with Apple Carplay, steering wheel controls, keyless entry/start, push button start and a rechargeable battery. Also includes less time and $ on maintenance, less time in traffic, less time filling up, instant and smooth acceleration, and overall just a better driving experience. If you could afford it, sounds like a no brainer.

So it seems that the differences between the base 2018 Volt & base 2018 Cruze are automatic transmission, hatchback, climate control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, larger wheels, 8" touch screen display with Apple Carplay, steering wheel controls, keyless entry/start, push button start and a rechargeable battery. Also includes less time and $ on maintenance, less time in traffic, less time filling up, instant and smooth acceleration, and overall just a better driving experience. If you could afford it, sounds like a no brainer.

I mean, half your points were subjective and situational lol.

Went through a whole week of calling with insurance companies.
Net result?

Almost no incentive to selling my gas hog v8 for an eco/hybrid/electric vehicle (quoted on all years Chevy Volt/Prius). Fuel savings offset by insurance costs of nearly $300-600 more a year.
Wish I did heavier mileage to justify a switch (no I don't).

My Volt is $66/mo for full coverage through TD

Plug your old address in Miltonsauga into a quote and see what it comes up with. :sex:

What is it about EV vehicles that should bring a reduction in insurance rates?

I think I pay around $2k/yr for full coverage, living in a high priced postal code.

As I said, price for a similarly appointed Cruze would be around 28k OTR. Very different from the Base Cruze that was being offered (manual tranny/ no fancy features/options).

By my math you would have used about $636 in energy: $295 in gas (at an average of $1.13/l) and $360 in electricity (.150kwh/km @.14/kwh). A Cruze that achieved 6.9km/100l would have cost $1560 to fuel, so the Volt saved $923 in fuel costs over 20,000km.

If you bought a basic 2019 Cruze, you would be out the door today for $23502. An equivalently equipped Volt would be $48093 out the door. If you were evaluating a new Volt purchase today using today's gas prices, , you would need to drive the car about 34 years (until 2053) to break even.

I'm sure your economics were better as you probably got a subsidy or bought the car used. The reality today is a Volt cannot provide an economic advantage over a Cruze under any conceivable circumstances.

good analysis, however,

Moot argument for any new car shoppers as both models are toast.

anybody follow the work of EVWest ?? custom shop hacking some Tesla motors and putting them into vintage cars. There is a whole new front coming with E motors and the 'hot rod' guys. The SEMA show was full of alternative powered product whereas it was formerly 700hp trucks.

brave new world

Cruze has a super basic $16 model -- that's not comparable to a Volt. The $21K Cruze LT (mine) is bested by the Volt LT in the following areas: 8" vs 7" display, 17" vs 16" wheels, Bose Speakers, heated steering wheel. Cruze bests Volt with : Spare tire, better range, more passenger head and legroom, usable 5th seat.

Maintenance costs on the cars should be similar. Cruze will have more frequent oil changes, Volt will have some expensive maintenance at 150K that will balance out the extra LOF costs.

Less time filling up time could be arguable... not sure how you account for an 8 hour fillup every 50 miles.

Went through a whole week of calling with insurance companies.
Net result?

Almost no incentive to selling my gas hog v8 for an eco/hybrid/electric vehicle (quoted on all years Chevy Volt/Prius). Fuel savings offset by insurance costs of nearly $300-600 more a year.
Wish I did heavier mileage to justify a switch (no I don't).

That's really strange as even carrying full coverage my Volt is costing me less than either my Magnum or my old 1-Ton dually pickup truck. Must be your postal code.

Generally EV's and hybrids do enjoy lower insurance because insurance companies know that the drivers are often eco-conscious (IE, Prius drivers trying to get a billion MPG, EV's trying to maximize their range) so they are more conscientious drivers. The exception is Tesla due to the insanely high repair costs and how easily they are written off vs repaired.

As for your mileage, how many K/year are you driving, and what kinda L/100KM is your truck getting?

The fact that a company like Petro Canada (of all companies) has decided to install a cross-country network of EV chargers speaks volumes about the future that even they see as inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom