Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 112 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

The included Clipper Creek L1 charger that comes with the Volt (Which actually happens to be, with a little conversion cable and a 240V plug a decent L2 charger - it's dual voltage) is actually weatherproof, so you don't have to worry about that. The J1772 design is also safe to use in exposed conditions by design.

Towing is "not recommended" in the manual, but people do it without issues anyways, but it will of course kick your range in the butt. The key is reasonable weights - towing a camper or something is probably unwise, but lots of people pulling utility trailers with a MC on them, single Jetskis, etc, no issues. Google "Chevy volt towing" and you'll find lots of threads on the topic, and a Google Image Search will also yield photos.
I remember GM freaking out at my friend for installing a hitch on his EV1. He towed a tiny trailer that housed a 6KW gasoline generator -- it might have been the world's first PEHV.

I did put a deposit down today, but they are having mild trouble locating a car - hopefully they can pull one from another dealership. I don't even really care about the colour of the car.
Otherwise to order one it's 8 weeks:(

New Roads in Newmarket just got 4 Volts, 3 LT's and a Premier I think. One of the LT's is already sold :)

That's awesome Shane congrats!

here is my update...since taking ownership.....11070km and 114.7L of fuel used! That part I like. 90% of the fuel was to cottage.

That's awesome Shane congrats!

here is my update...since taking ownership.....11070km and 114.7L of fuel used! That part I like. 90% of the fuel was to cottage.

1L/ 100KM. Awesome.

Shoulda bought a hybrid, some will still say. ;)

Picking this up on Tuesday.

Attachments

• Volt.jpg
    Volt.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Congrats!
Hopefully I will have mine this week too. Dealership just called me and they have one waiting for me:)
Going to check it out tomorrow.

I am going to be a skeptic here ... no way they will stack up the three rebates in a such a way basically giving you essentially 40% off the car price. I will believe it when I see it.

Just because the 14K is already unprecedented, I believe, in any country applying some sort of a rebate (don't count Norway, which taxes heavily gas cars ...). So for them, to go as high as you pointed out, it would definitely pour more gasoline into a fire of a province bleeding left and right. I know it's a spit in a deficit bucket with EV ownership sitting where it is, but .... a) it's a principal thing for many ... b) Ontario doubled their EV sales from 2016 to 2017 ... we know all why that is for 90% of buyers, so in another works 14K is working, keep any other rebates to fund the road infrastructure funded by a gas tax, I don't contribute to.

What I am trying to say, is that any further EV vehicle rebates are not really necessary. What is necessary a dramatic improvement in the EV infrastructure, so that is where this Ontario government should be putting serious money in. And that includes, fast charging and apartment building, mainly the old ones which require some form of not so inexpensive retrofit

Is there an electrician in the house? One with high rise experience?

Try to estimate the cost of installing hundreds of EV power outlets in the parking garages. Some of those garages have 400+ cars.

We're talking about re-engineering the whole electrical room.

If residents are on their own meters there has to be a link to their suite.

If the condo corporation meters the EV outlet and then charges the resident the corporation becomes a utility company with all the associated responsibilities.

Has anyone done an upstream study of how that amount of power gets to the building?

Even new condos are not putting in one for one outlets, maybe a few on one level. Consumers could change that if they demanded a charge spot with their purchase of a soon to be built condo. Prices will escalate.

If I were to going to buy a condo yet to be built I would demand an outlet even if I didn't use it. I could rent it out short term and have the option of asking a higher price when I get sent to pablum and diapers land and have to sell.

Try selling your old condo without an outlet in an ICE free world.

As long as the government interferes and the percentage of EVs stays low all will be good on planet earth but it's a technical Ponzi scheme that has no long term hope without a quantum leap in charging, the five minute re-charge.

If "Wynne" and electricity are mentioned in the same paragraph someone or everyone is getting screwed.

The included Clipper Creek L1 charger that comes with the Volt (Which actually happens to be, with a little conversion cable and a 240V plug a decent L2 charger - it's dual voltage) is actually weatherproof, so you don't have to worry about that. The J1772 design is also safe to use in exposed conditions by design..
What is this conversion cable you speak of? I am getting a 240v installed in the garage, but could hold off on the L2 charger if I don't need it right now.
The L2 charger I was thinking of getting is the Juicebox Pro 40.

What is this conversion cable you speak of? I am getting a 240v installed in the garage, but could hold off on the L2 charger if I don't need it right now.

Haha, it sounds like he has a short cable that allows you to plug the 120V plug into the 220V socket. Electricians love those.

If you supply the included charger with 220 it becomes a l2 charger it has auto voltage detection even though it doesnt say it does. You need a adapter with a 220 plug on the male and a 115 plug on the female. I have been using mine loke this since i got the car and it works fine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks.

What do you guys think of:
Rust protection - $1600 good for lifetime
Extended warranty - $4400 (valid up to 180k instead of 60k)

Awesome thanks.

I have never found rust protection worthwhile. What recent GM vehicle have you seen that perforated in less than 10 years? I also have my doubts that lifetime in the warranty actually means forever, it is probably pro-rated or useful life or something like that.

That is a pretty pricey extended warranty considering that Voltec covers most of the expensive bits for 160,000 km (unless they have changed something recently?). I paid much less than that for longer coverage on my current car (and I would have been ahead not to buy it, but it was bought to hedge against a specific expensive reasonably common failure).

Last edited:

This company is bringing out a set of adapter cables to use the stock Lvl 1 evse from the Volt and Bolt with 240v outlets. https://www.quickchargepower.com/ Looks like only $19US, with a large variety of plug options.

They posted in the FB Chevy Volt Owners group about it a couple of days ago. ETA is within a couple of weeks.

Awesome thanks.

Say if you keep the car for 10 years, id just do 10 years of krown rustproofing, that DEFINITELY works and will cost less than that protection.

Back
Top Bottom