Another trailer project | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another trailer project

GVH

Ok picked up another ugly old folding trailer but free. Made it home 30 minutes and the wheels stayed on but didn’t hold air. Didn’t look at bearings just spun the wheels and they did not make horrible noises. So towed it home. Wednesday I tried taking the wheels off. Nasty Purchased new wheel bearings, already have a led light set and new safety Chan set with proper hooks. Need to decide on wheel tires stay with 480-8 or move up to 480 or 530 12 inch. Yes I should add a bracket to raise the fender. PA has 480-8 on for $50. Hoya 4 bolt so harder to find used 12 inch.

Day I brought it home.
7VKVJ3I.jpg

LnlDyo4.jpg

Ok picked up another ugly old folding trailer but free. Made it home 30 minutes and the wheels stayed on but didn’t hold air. Didn’t look at bearings just spun the wheels and they did not make horrible noises. So towed it home. Wednesday I tried taking the wheels off. Nasty Purchased new wheel bearings, already have a led light set and new safety Chan set with proper hooks. Need to decide on wheel tires stay with 480-8 or move up to 480 or 530 12 inch. Yes I should add a bracket to raise the fender. PA has 480-8 on for $50. Hoya 4 bolt so harder to find used 12 inch.

Day I brought it home.
7VKVJ3I.jpg

LnlDyo4.jpg
That's crusty. What is the big nut at the point of the A frame?

I can't believe that was free. I've seen unsalvageably rotten folding trailers that still had an asking price of hundreds

Are the tips of the fenders bolted to the frame in addition to the vertical bracket? The standard metal fenders on those wobble like hell and quickly cause the bracket to crack from metal fatigue if they're not secured in multiple places.

No standard bolts at bottom. If you don’t care about folding you can bolt it half way up to stabilize it.

Is that an older model of one of the (in)famous Harbour Freight folding trailers, I wonder?

Is that an older model of one of the (in)famous Harbour Freight folding trailers, I wonder?
I've never seen a HF trailer with that knob on the A frame. Lots of manufacturers sell similar trailers though. I would assume that is one of the clones with their own spin added.

So Friday afternoon hubs would not come off easy. Put wheels back on and pound the rusty rims. Most of the bearings came off in tiny chunks. Not all of the rear bearings came off. A dremil cutting tool, hammer and punch. Very careful not to cut through. Cleaned axle up with steel wool and used the old hubs from trailer number one with new bearing kit. Half a tube of grease preside.

sSWeRrl.jpg

Will this be for keeps or to sell?

Complete working trailer. I have some 2x4 for the stake pockets and 2x10x10 that could be cut down to make sides. osb floor was leftover from a construction site down the street. Second pics the current trailer. So new wheels bearings, wheels, safety chains, led lights and wiring.

36OHWYk.png

8r7WjTq.png

Second pic is what I want to do with my trailer, but not quite so high, and I want it removable as well. Will have to talk to dad about making something out of metal for the sides and uprights.

Alternatively, I can do uprights from 2x4s (the PT won't fit easily), and then plywood for the sides. Would make transporting soil / gravel much easier.

Instead of hard sides, I have one of those dumpster-in-a-bag things that are intended to be filled with junk in your driveway, and then a boom truck comes along and picks it up. It's basically just a huge tarp shopping bag. It works reasonably well for containing loose crap on an open trailer if you leave enough space to fold and strap the sides of the bag over the top of the load, and it packs down fairly small for storage.

Second pic is what I want to do with my trailer, but not quite so high, and I want it removable as well. Will have to talk to dad about making something out of metal for the sides and uprights.

Alternatively, I can do uprights from 2x4s (the PT won't fit easily), and then plywood for the sides. Would make transporting soil / gravel much easier.
A kiss with a sander and pt should fit fine. Fwiw, my rails are not pt and fine a decade later. Most of the time they have been outside under an eave.

I would like to redo the first trailer with slotted angle for the side supports. Do 2.25x1.5 inch for the corners and 1.25 for side supports making easier to attach the wood.

Back
Top Bottom