Another rider down | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another rider down

Are riders over 40 over represented in death stats? The OPP don't have total rider numbers. 38% of deaths his year were riders aged 45-54. But that age group may well make up more than 38% of total riders. I can't find crash stats; it might be that older riders are in fewer accidents but are more likely to die.

This has been a grim year, looking at a 7-year high for fatalities. And yet I still rarely see hi-viz jackets, bright helmets, attention-grabbing swerves before intersections, etc. No doubt being a beginner in his forties makes me more cautious, but still surprised by the lack of defense. To each their own.

the high age demo is the kind that reports their incidents vs the possibly young and stupid that will pickup and run and deal with the fallout later.

stats require records.

Yeah, it's an awful big assumption but i dont' think that far fetched.

the high age demo is the kind that reports their incidents vs the possibly young and stupid that will pickup and run and deal with the fallout later.

stats require records.

Yeah, it's an awful big assumption but i dont' think that far fetched.

You cannot run if the crash is bad enough to break something or kill you.

from the video.. looked like riders came on from The Kennedy on ramp. .. if I was to guess, I would said maybe there was a meetup at Kennedy commons or nearby. If the cops really wanted to get these riders, theres probably enough video footage around that area to identify them etc. Ie. Timmies footage etc. So if this was a murder case, yeah resources would be spend in tracking them. Because its not, it will slide by.

Not to mention the vehicle with the video was too far away to show if any of the other riders were actually involved in a collision. You can be right in the middle of 3 other bikes going down, if they don't make contact with you or your bike and you don't make contact with them, then there is NO legal requirement to remain at the scene. The cops aren't "hunting" for any of the riders because of the collision.

Likely the only one they would be interested in "talking to" would be the bike shown pulling the wheelie between the two cages, (actually a cage and a SCHOOL bus), at the start of the video. But they may not even be able to get a plate from the bike off the video.

Regardless they are all hooligans and idiots for riding in that manner with that level of traffic on the 401, luckily, (or perhaps unluckily, depending on your view of their riding style), there weren't more of them taken out.

Last edited:
Can't say I haven't done similar, but 10+ bikes in that kind of traffic is a death sentence waiting to happen.

Did not watch vid. Did something bad happen?

10+ bikes flying by car... 30 secs later you see a rider in fetal position in the middle of the road.

Looks like 2-3 bikers stopped but may have taken off - probably due to the repercussions.

If my GF sounded like that I would drop her at the side of the 401, not sure what was more annoying, her voice or the song.

Noticed from the video these guys came from KC.. we all know most people going to KC have mad skills

It sure is nice to say I don't ride on the street anymore. That way I can't be lumped into the same group as these types of riders that are going to ruin it for everyone.

It sure is nice to say I don't ride on the street anymore. That way I can't be lumped into the same group as these types of riders that are going to ruin it for everyone.

Seriously. Remember when sport bike riders were cool? I do... wasn't that long ago.

Now whenever I see someone riding a sport bike on the street my first assumption is that they're an idiot.

If those riders live long enough they will grow up someday. In the mean time GWS riders.

How often I see dudes ride like this on the highway and think to myself "one day their luck will run out". Why am I not surprised. Total idiocy riding like this. This is why I ride solo.

How often I see dudes ride like this on the highway and think to myself "one day their luck will run out". Why am I not surprised. Total idiocy riding like this. This is why I prefer to ride solo or with no more than three other riders I know

Absolutely agree! I'm glad there's a video and hopefully it will be used to prosecute these people to the full extent of the law.

Well, the dude was on a KLR. He should have been able to ride over what ever was in his way if it was a bike.

Well, the dude was on a KLR. He should have been able to ride over what ever was in his way if it was a bike.

Haha, I've tried riding over a crashed bike/rider with a mountain bike before, it didn't work out well for either of us.

Lmfao! Always good humor reading what the speculators have to say.

Its just going to help with even more legislation that will come soon.. Graduated licencing for Motorcycles in the form of reduced CC or HP etc. It will happen. Theres enough accidents and incidents this year to help fuel someone's perusal to make changes.

As soon as some big shot influential sob loses a child.. You will see the shyte hit the fan and many of the things you mention come forth

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I didn't see the KLR in that video. What are the chances he was just an innocent solo rider that got nailed by one of those idiots?

Thats the real sad part
How ironic guys that ride 200 and complain about cars not seeing them probably did not see the klr

I cant imagine a guy on a klr riding with that crew

Thats the real sad part
How ironic guys that ride 200 and complain about cars not seeing them probably did not see the klr

I cant imagine a guy on a klr riding with that crew

Well, if you want the perspective of a cager: KLR is going down the road on his own. All of a sudden a bike swerves from the left into his lane just ahead of him going scary fast. Then another does the same thing. Then a third bike comes from the left into his lane and passes him on the right in his lane between him and the car in the next lane. Talk about a tight squeeze. Fourth bike tries to do the same thing but messes up the line and slams into the back of the KLR. KLR rider is thrown from the bike and tumbles down the 401. KLR rear rim is destroyed by the impact - bent rim, almost all spokes broken, swingarm bent, etc. Thats why it looks strange in the CP24 video. KLR rider, fully suited in proper bike gear, gets up before he gets hit by other cars.

The guy who hit the KLR, not so lucky. Front end of his bike is bashed in. Nasty dent in his gas tank at the front of his seat - dont ask what made the dent. He is wearing a t shirt and his helmet comes off in the accident. Sent to trauma ward in really bad shape. Surprised he was still breathing.

Another motorcycle in the crew wipes out dodging debris. Looks like it went end ever end. Looked like his helmet came off too.

5 1/2 hours later they re-open the highway.

Lessons?
If you want to ride fast do it on the track, or at least away from other traffic, and wear proper gear. T shirts dont hold up too well against pavement, especially not at twice the speed limit. And if you are going to wear a helmet - do it up.

We see enough bikes getting smushed by other cagers. For gods sake dont take out other bikes.

Note the different riding that happens with 35 horsepower vs 200.

KLRs might be great at going over things, but it helps if you have a chance to loft the front wheel. Hard to do with an obstacle coming in way too fast from behind.

Spoken like a man who was there.
Did you stick around and give the police your account of the proceedings?

Well, if you want the perspective of a cager: KLR is going down the road on his own. All of a sudden a bike swerves from the left into his lane just ahead of him going scary fast. Then another does the same thing. Then a third bike comes from the left into his lane and passes him on the right in his lane between him and the car in the next lane. Talk about a tight squeeze. Fourth bike tries to do the same thing but messes up the line and slams into the back of the KLR. KLR rider is thrown from the bike and tumbles down the 401. KLR rear rim is destroyed by the impact - bent rim, almost all spokes broken, swingarm bent, etc. Thats why it looks strange in the CP24 video. KLR rider, fully suited in proper bike gear, gets up before he gets hit by other cars.

The guy who hit the KLR, not so lucky. Front end of his bike is bashed in. Nasty dent in his gas tank at the front of his seat - dont ask what made the dent. He is wearing a t shirt and his helmet comes off in the accident. Sent to trauma ward in really bad shape. Surprised he was still breathing.

Another motorcycle in the crew wipes out dodging debris. Looks like it went end ever end. Looked like his helmet came off too.

5 1/2 hours later they re-open the highway.

Lessons?
If you want to ride fast do it on the track, or at least away from other traffic, and wear proper gear. T shirts dont hold up too well against pavement, especially not at twice the speed limit. And if you are going to wear a helmet - do it up.

We see enough bikes getting smushed by other cagers. For gods sake dont take out other bikes.

Note the different riding that happens with 35 horsepower vs 200.

KLRs might be great at going over things, but it helps if you have a chance to loft the front wheel. Hard to do with an obstacle coming in way too fast from behind.

Did you stick around and give the police your account of the proceedings?

I suspect he was there...it is his first post....or he might be one of the first responders. It all hangs together given that video earlier and that weird KLR pic plus the guy with head trauma.

Back
Top Bottom