Android Boxs - whose got 1? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Android Boxs - whose got 1?

if they want to go after anyone, they want the people that are hosting/sourcing the stuff. Which I think is foolish.

Netflix has shown that people are willing to pay for a product that delivers their needs. $200/mth for 65 channels of crap doesn't meet peoples viewing needs. Technology and viewership is adapting faster than distribution companies and tv/film studios.

Heck, most shows you can watch free of charge right on the website of your local station (with commercials of course).

It's a matter of time until artificial, geoblocking, blackout rules are revised and everyone has access to everything, for a fair price. Until that happens, these alternatives (just like FTA boxes, Satellites, reprogrammed cable boxes, etc before them) are what folks will use.

I'm with you. I'm just saying that if they wanted to crack down like with torrents, they could. When you watch something on the ctv website for instance, they get paid due to advertising revenue. In that case you have the permission of the commercial rights holder. When you get it from another source, that permission is not given.

When Rogers and Bell etc. realize how much money they are losing to these streaming services I think they will start leaning heavily on their paid-for politicians. I remember the RCMP knocking on neighbour's doors about their illegal satellite hook-ups.

BTW, I'm using KODI with TVADDONS.AG

just ordered one. i was about to buy it local but got it off amazon and saved about $40...i can wait a week, no biggie.

is buying one of someone locally who says its "fully programmed" a scam?

Most of these resellers just install tvaddons.ag stuff (about a 15 minute automated process), call it "programmed" (because it does make installation and maintenance of most plugins from that point forward easier) and tack on the extra profit.

As has been mentioned, if you're even the slightest bit tech savvy, just buy a vanilla box (most even come with Kodi preinstalled now, removing one of the more difficult steps if it wasn't) and do the plugins yourself using one of the many tutorials out there.

On the topic of cable companies hating these things, we're still in the infancy stage, things are just starting to explode now, but in the grand scheme of things we're still the minority...but there will come a day when they wake up and take notice, and mark my words, they won't try to compete, they'll just run crying to the CRTC and try to squash them out of existence from a legislation angle instead. Which of course, will fail miserably.

There will be a day, I suspect within a decade or so, when the media companies will just provide an app for these boxes that allow you to subscribe to legit sources instead of the quasi-legit Kodi of today, they will charge a more reasonable fee, and things will be legal again...but in order for that to happen they're going to have to give up the dream of people paying $150+/month for cable TV, and paying perhaps $25/month for the same amount of content but over the internet on our own hardware instead, vs over their cable on their special hardware. Basically, the Netflix Argument - people WILL pay for online streamed content if it's available cheap and easily. Remove the cheap or easy, and people will go elsewhere..which right now, for the early adopters, is Kodi.

On the topic of cable companies hating these things, we're still in the infancy stage, things are just starting to explode now, but in the grand scheme of things we're still the minority...but there will come a day when they wake up and take notice, and mark my words, they won't try to compete, they'll just run crying to the CRTC and try to squash them out of existence from a legislation angle instead. Which of course, will fail miserably..
It's tough to predict. Remember the satellites that picked up Dish Network for free? Remember the boxes that had to be flashed every once in a while to add new channels?

These became obsolete and I remember using these methods of getting extra channels and thinking "they'll never catch onto this" but they did.

Who knows what the future holds. Look at music and video downloading for instance, you will now receive a letter from your ISP telling you to stop downloading or face repercussions.

What I do know for a fact is to just enjoy these things while they last and pray they stick around.

Well said Private Pilot.

It's tough to predict. Remember the satellites that picked up Dish Network for free? Remember the boxes that had to be flashed every once in a while to add new channels?

These became obsolete and I remember using these methods of getting extra channels and thinking "they'll never catch onto this" but they did.

Who knows what the future holds. Look at music and video downloading for instance, you will now receive a letter from your ISP telling you to stop downloading or face repercussions.

What I do know for a fact is to just enjoy these things while they last and pray they stick around.

The problem with the hacked satellite and cable boxes was...you were still ultimately using their hardware and sources, and it was technically a cat and mouse game.

With a Kodi box, they're looking at trying to fight the entire internet, not just a handful of hacked hardware on their own network. We all know that fighting the internet as a whole will NEVER work. It's a lost cause that they would be stupid to even attempt, although given the acts of desperation that the likes of Rogers and Bell have been known to stoop to, I expect they may try, but it'll be laughably futile for them. The cat is very much out of the bag now.

The "letter from your ISP" issue, if it ever becomes one (it isn't now) is 100% negated by using a VPN - nobody sees what's coming through your pipes that way and they've no idea if you're streaming media on a kodi box, or just have a hardon for Linux and are downloading the latest distro on a daily basis. ;)

One thing is for sure, the cable companies are going to cut their own throats continuing to gouge people $100-$200/month for cable - the way the Kodi boxes are rapidly maturing it's only a matter or another year or so before they reach the point where they're going to work exactly the same as a Cable/Sat box (with a nice guide and everything), be reliable, and have plenty of HD streams...either for free, or perhaps $10-$20/month. When that happens and the "tinker factor" is no longer there (ie, "it just works, all the time, every time"), customers will flock to them...even the geriatrics and technophobes who would otherwise never be able to reliably operate them at their current maturity level will switch. Who in their right mind would continue to pay $100/month to Rogers when you can pay $20 instead?

When that happens, the cable/sat companies are going to start hemorrhaging customers so fast it's going to be a bloodbath.

They are going to HAVE to change at that point. It is inevitable.

How does this Kodi thing work? Anyone have a link to setting it up? Everytime I try to select a channel it gives me an error and tells me to see the log. Do I have to load some sort of database or???

How does this Kodi thing work? Anyone have a link to setting it up? Everytime I try to select a channel it gives me an error and tells me to see the log. Do I have to load some sort of database or???

What plugin are you trying to use? Plugins are the key...if you're trying to use some default Kodi plugin that came with your hardware out of the box, forget about it - start by installing Exodus and SALTS (Google both for tutorials) and you'll be happier. It only gets better from there.

The problem with the hacked satellite and cable boxes was...you were still ultimately using their hardware and sources, and it was technically a cat and mouse game.

With a Kodi box, they're looking at trying to fight the entire internet, not just a handful of hacked hardware on their own network. We all know that fighting the internet as a whole will NEVER work. It's a lost cause that they would be stupid to even attempt, although given the acts of desperation that the likes of Rogers and Bell have been known to stoop to, I expect they may try, but it'll be laughably futile for them. The cat is very much out of the bag now.

The "letter from your ISP" issue, if it ever becomes one (it isn't now) is 100% negated by using a VPN - nobody sees what's coming through your pipes that way and they've no idea if you're streaming media on a kodi box, or just have a hardon for Linux and are downloading the latest distro on a daily basis. ;)

One thing is for sure, the cable companies are going to cut their own throats continuing to gouge people $100-$200/month for cable - the way the Kodi boxes are rapidly maturing it's only a matter or another year or so before they reach the point where they're going to work exactly the same as a Cable/Sat box (with a nice guide and everything), be reliable, and have plenty of HD streams...either for free, or perhaps $10-$20/month. When that happens and the "tinker factor" is no longer there (ie, "it just works, all the time, every time"), customers will flock to them...even the geriatrics and technophobes who would otherwise never be able to reliably operate them at their current maturity level will switch. Who in their right mind would continue to pay $100/month to Rogers when you can pay $20 instead?

When that happens, the cable/sat companies are going to start hemorrhaging customers so fast it's going to be a bloodbath.

They are going to HAVE to change at that point. It is inevitable.
Every time I've used a vpn on these things my videos have been slow to load. Pm me on how to overcome this issue.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Every time I've used a vpn on these things my videos have been slow to load. Pm me on how to overcome this issue.

I don't currently use one (because of the aforementioned non-issues at the moment so far as legality here in Canada), so sorry, can't help you there....but lots of people do without problems, so it might be a "you get what you pay for" situation if you're experiencing bottlenecks.

just ordered one. i was about to buy it local but got it off amazon and saved about $40...i can wait a week, no biggie.
When you get it:

If you have google Play, go there and download the latest Kodi version.
If you don't have google play (get it lol) from your local apps on the box, open a browser, go to kodi.tv - downloads, Kodi Version 16 and from under the android logo click on ARM and the latest copy will be downloaded. Then go to Downloads on the local apps and install the latest version.

You don't have to do all this but it is always good to have the latest version

Live sports/events (in anything better than potato quality) will be the final nail in the coffin. Soon as a solution is found, things will change dramatically.

agreed. The next 10 years are going to be very interesting how this stuff unfolds.

agreed. The next 10 years are going to be very interesting how this stuff unfolds.
It's just another version of Napster. The industry made Napster famous and more ppl become of what mp3's were.
The same thing will occur here.
Industry: we are going after Kodi
Customers: Google Kodi...what, free, get it NOW
Industry: we killed Kodi
Customers: oh look 10 other iterations of Kodi
Industry: arrest that old lady to send a message

Specto is a replacement fork for Genesis. Exodus is the replacement for Genesis.
Exodus is hands down the best addon right now.

I you're looking for something easier on the wallet, Raspberry PI can run the openelec version of Kodi.

Rpi doesn't have the horse power to do hvec .265 decoding, the droid c2 does, it will also run android or arm Linux vs rpi doing arm Linux or arm windows. The c2 is also boasting a significantly faster processor and networking isn't attached to the usb bus. The power isn't limited to micro usb, making it more reliable and less prone to damaging sad cards. Being forward thinking only costs a couple dollars more.

Rpi doesn't have the horse power to do hvec .265 decoding, the droid c2 does, it will also run android or arm Linux vs rpi doing arm Linux or arm windows. The c2 is also boasting a significantly faster processor and networking isn't attached to the usb bus. The power isn't limited to micro usb, making it more reliable and less prone to damaging sad cards. Being forward thinking only costs a couple dollars more.
This. I have a rpi and I hate how slow it is for kodi.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom