An AI's recommended starter bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

An AI's recommended starter bikes

I was researching starter motorcycles and decided to ask an AI what they'd recommend. Here's what it wrote:
There are several good beginner motorcycles on the market that can be suitable for new riders. Here are a few options to consider:

1. Honda Rebel 300 or 500: The Honda Rebel is a popular choice for beginners, offering a lightweight and easy-to-handle cruiser-style bike with a low seat height.
  2. Kawasaki Ninja 400: The Kawasaki Ninja 400 is a sportbike that is easy to ride and maneuver, making it a great option for new riders who want a bit more speed and performance.
  3. Yamaha YZF-R3: The Yamaha YZF-R3 is another sportbike option for beginners, offering a smooth ride, easy handling, and a comfortable riding position.
  4. Suzuki SV650: The Suzuki SV650 is a versatile bike that is suitable for both beginners and more experienced riders. It has a comfortable riding position, good power, and a lightweight frame.
  5. KTM 390 Duke: The KTM 390 Duke is a fun and sporty bike that is easy to handle and offers good performance for a beginner motorcycle.
Ultimately, the best beginner motorcycle will depend on your personal preferences and riding style. It is important to choose a bike that is comfortable and easy to handle, with a manageable amount of power and performance. It is also recommended to take a motorcycle safety course before hitting the road to ensure that you are prepared and confident in your riding abilities.
You think it's far off in the choices?

A lot will depend on your age, years of driving experience, height, weight, style of riding you think you're interested in, but most importantly your maturity level...best thing to do is go sit on as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what is comfortable...definitely try to stay under 400-500 cc, especially if you're young and/or don't have insurance history on a car...another good idea is to sign up for the M1 exit course as most schools will offer different styles of bikes for you to try out...once you've found something you like, call as many insurance agents as you can to get rates...again, your age, gender, marital status, driving experience and home location will all impact your rates , and you don't want to buy something you can't afford to ride.

The list you posted is good, the only one I personally would strike off is the SV650, only because of insurance.

Oh, and buy the best gear you can afford.

Good luck and welcome 😀

I'm 37 and I totally live a boring life sitting on a desk pressing buttons. The only reason I suddenly got into riding is I was cleaning up closet and I found an old 2008 motorcycle rider's test book. I was hyped about it when I was younger and decided to give it a shot since I never did. I'll keep that in mind for the insurance rates; I plug info/bike models on the NFP quote page to get an estimate. Definitely will buy the best gear I can afford!
Thanks again!

Since AI literally scrapes the web for its content, there's got to be a way to poison the well sufficiently to have it spit out gibberish. Already, the error rate is fairly high because of misinterpretation or miscomprehension. ie. Ask it for specs for an older iPhone 13, it will sometimes spit out specs for the current 14.

Since AI literally scrapes the web for its content, there's got to be a way to poison the well sufficiently to have it spit out gibberish. Already, the error rate is fairly high because of misinterpretation or miscomprehension. ie. Ask it for specs for an older iPhone 13, it will sometimes spit out specs for the current 14.
In this case the suggestions of bike models came out fine, no?

I will disagree on the SV650 for beginners. That can be a tricky bike if you don't know what are you doing. IMO btw. It's easier to know what you first, check on the net by yourself, and ultimately go spend a afternoon visiting shops and stuff...

I was researching starter motorcycles and decided to ask an AI what they'd recommend. Here's what it wrote:

You think it's far off in the choices?
Not far off, but not all that useful either. Bikes are a bit like footwear, first you choose a category then size.

There will be a shortlist for cruisers, standards, sport, adv and dualsports.

In no particular order if you're making a long list I'd add Vstar250, VersysX, XT & WR250, KLX 250, bmw320s, cb & crf up to 500, DR up to 400.

As others said the SV650 is not a beginners bike. The only 650+ I'd consider suitable for a beginner are the Vstar, S40 Boulevard/Savage, and maybe KLR and 883.

Pay for advertising on the ai site... betcha ai has already taught itself about revenue and marketing.

I see the response as being no different from a Google search. As @Lightcycle said, all it seems to have done is scrape the web for popular opinion.

Yes, the results are an amalgam of all the most popular opinions on the Internet. Few people believe that a Turbo Busa is a good beginner bike.

However, there are still many motorcycle riders who believe "loud pipes save lives". Unfortunately for them, more people believe otherwise, so ChatGPT responds:

Q: Do loud pipes save lives?

A: There is a common belief among some motorcyclists that "loud pipes save lives" by making their motorcycle more noticeable and alerting other drivers to their presence on the road. However, this claim is not supported by research and is widely disputed by experts in the field of motorcycle safety.

While loud pipes may draw attention to a motorcycle, they can also be a source of annoyance and distraction for other drivers on the road. In addition, research has shown that the sound of a motorcycle's exhaust is not always effective in alerting other drivers to its presence, particularly in situations where there is a lot of other traffic noise or distractions.

The most effective way to stay safe on a motorcycle is to ride defensively, wear appropriate safety gear, and follow the rules of the road. It's also important to be aware of your surroundings and to anticipate potential hazards and risks on the road. Motorcyclists should not rely on loud pipes as a safety feature and should instead focus on developing their riding skills and staying alert and aware while on the road.

I can think of several people on GTAM who would say ChatGPT is emphatically wrong on this. Same with Darksiders, riders who "had to lay the bike down", riders who say push-steering doesn't work, etc. etc. etc.

Ask ChatGPT whether masks are effective against spreading coronavirus and publish the response. I guarantee you'll that thread will go on for 100 pages easily and result in a couple of BanHammers.

But if you *really really* want to break GTAM? Ask ChatGPT if Shell Rotella is really the best oil to use on your motorcycle and post its answers here.

ChatGPT is a basically a popularity contest. It tells you what most people out there want to hear, because it's what most people type out on the Internet.

As it says on the bottom of the screen: "ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts"

Last edited:
I'm 37 and I totally live a boring life sitting on a desk pressing buttons. The only reason I suddenly got into riding is I was cleaning up closet and I found an old 2008 motorcycle rider's test book. I was hyped about it when I was younger and decided to give it a shot since I never did. I'll keep that in mind for the insurance rates; I plug info/bike models on the NFP quote page to get an estimate. Definitely will buy the best gear I can afford!
Thanks again!
I was 42 when I got my M2.. and that was last year... go get that licence man!! you only live once!!

and like @ifiddles mentioned... sit on as many bikes as you can and see how you feel... you may like the look of sportbikes.. but wait until you are hunched over for miles on in.. its not until then you realize you can get serious back soreness from it... :)

Check with
Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969

He'll guide you well.

Upright bikes are generally more comfortable and safer due to being able to look around more effectively.
Later model used bikes with ABS would be the preferred route.
Take a riding course - will save you some insurance $.
There is lots of decent used gear on Kiji and lots of used bikes but you are too new to be able to judge.

What are your goals in riding and what is your inseam plus do you have a budget in mind.?
This would be perfect as a starter ...it'w what I ride currently

This would work back in stock config

this would be a great long term bike but maybe not for a beginner

all it seems to have done is scrape the web for popular opinion.

As was touched on, that's not always right.

I have as much of a hate-on for the misuse of the term "artificial intelligence" as I do with "self driving".

Exactly. AI doesn't technically exist. What people confuse for AI now, since it's become the popular catch phrase for anything a computer does that "seems" intelligent now is actually just ML, Machine Learning. We have not reached the point of true AI. But ugh, the cats out of the bag now.

For that matter, when you directly ask ChatGPT if it's "AI", here's what you get... At least IT seems to understand it, mostly.

As an AI language model, I utilize machine learning (ML) techniques to generate responses to user inputs. AI refers to the broader concept of simulating human intelligence in machines, while ML is a subset of AI that involves training algorithms to learn from data and improve their performance over time without being explicitly programmed. So, while I am an AI language model, my underlying technology is based on ML. I do not possess true human-like intelligence, but rather generate responses based on patterns learned from the data during the training process.
When pushed further, asked for the textbook definition of AI, and then asked if ChatGPT is actually an AI by that definition, you get this...

As an AI language model, I am designed to simulate human-like text generation based on patterns learned from data during the training process. While I can generate responses that may appear to be intelligent, I do not possess true human-like intelligence. I do not have consciousness, emotions, or self-awareness, and my responses are generated based on statistical patterns learned from large amounts of text data. I do not "think" or "learn" like a human in the traditional sense, but rather generate responses based on the patterns present in the data I was trained on. So, while I am an example of AI, I am not a true AI with human-like intelligence.

Soooooooo...not AI.

Sorry for the threadjack OP. ;)

Back
Top Bottom