ARE YOU A GEAR NAZI?

• ATGATT

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • 100% SQUID

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN - PLS EXPLAIN!

Votes: 35 45.5%

• Total voters
I shouldn't say vented boots are a lie, I should say vented street boots are a lie. Vented Supertech-Rs are godlike, but completely impractical for street use imo. Can't walk in them worth a damn.

I shouldn't say vented boots are a lie, I should say vented street boots are a lie. Vented Supertech-Rs are godlike, but completely impractical for street use imo. Can't walk in them worth a damn.

Ah, gotcha...

Just watched the videos on the S-MX6 and the SMX Plus. The Plus is as much of an upgrade over the SMX6 as the SMX6 are over my basic cruiser like boots. I guess (again) it is about compromises and what you want. I would have to try out the plus to see how that lacing system and quasi inner bootie system felt to me and how they felt in limited time walking off of the bike. Looking at the features on the plus I could totally see how the suspension system and the alloy slider probably saved your ankle from a really nasty break.

Crazy to me that you had such high level boots, and very good gloves but were wearing essentially nothing on your upper torso. Even my so-so mesh jacket would have saved you. Some vented pants with CE level knee protection would probably have saved you there as the knee protection would have extended close to where your boot ends.

Again, all about choices and compromises...

I would love to learn more about the new Alpinestar Valparaiso pants to see if they would be an upgrade/improvement over the Olympia Airglide 3 pants I am considering. No reviews on these yet!
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-valparaiso-drystar-pants

Ah, gotcha...

Crazy to me that you had such high level boots, and very good gloves but were wearing essentially nothing on your upper torso. Even my so-so mesh jacket would have saved you. Some vented pants with CE level knee protection would probably have saved you there as the knee protection would have extended close to where your boot ends.

Again, all about choices and compromises...

Note what I said before: squidding feels good. Losing skin does not and until that slide I had only experienced one of the two lol.

My gloves+boots cost more than my helmet (which is an Arai Vector 2 not a cheapie). I need my hands and I like walking.

Last edited:
Note what I said before: squidding feels good. Losing skin does not and until that slide I had only experienced one of the two lol.

My gloves+boots cost more than my helmet (which is an Arai Vector 2 not a cheapie). I need my hands and I like walking.

Seems to me that those are smart things to spend good money on. I want my gear to be at a level that I am happy with before I get my second bike. I don't see the point in upgrading the bike yet when I think I need better gear than I have now and I want to spend some money on some courses. Unfortunately I only have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off right now so I may not be able to take a course this year. No sense in upgrading the bike yet when I still have not mastered the one I'm on now!

Note what I said before: squidding feels good....

This. Squidding is the greatest feeling in motorcycling. It just feels so damn nice, cruising at 50km/h wearing summer clothing, feeling that breeze running along your arms and legs on a hot day...

This. Squidding is the greatest feeling in motorcycling. It just feels so damn nice, cruising at 50km/h wearing summer clothing, feeling that breeze running along your arms and legs on a hot day...

I have to concur. Just the same, mesh jacket can give you 85-90% of that feeling with some protection (and block the sun's rays). Will see if Olympia Airglide pants give me similar ventilation for my legs. Just did some more research on those A* pants and I don't think those will work with me. Much less venting than the Olympia Airglides.

My 1+1 cents:

MM, ride however the hell you want to, it's your skin. But I guarantee you'll regret squidding it the very fraction of a second prior to smearing your a** on the pavement.

I choose to be as protected as I can, because I don't know when I'm gonna go down:

2 jackets, leather/textile depending on weather. Full inside armour on both.

2 leather gloves, full gauntlet/half gauntlet for the same reason.

Kevlar jeans/leather pants depending on destination/speed and weather.

2 sets of boots for the same reasons. Both cover ankles and 1 pair is hard as sh*t.

Everything is A* brand because I like their stuff and there's a lot of white on everything to absorb as little heat as possible, thus making my rides more bearable.

PS. If you're still considering ditching your slow and boring 600cc bike and go for a litre one, then you should seriously not squid it.

It was pointed out to me that my choice of gear is not ideal. I have an icon leather jacket and gloves that I wear every time Im out. But seriously who is wearing leather pants every time they go out for a ride?

Last edited:
ZOODLES95 - I have considered mesh jackets before but when i hold them and actually try them on, i don't think they're any better than a regular sweater. aside from the armour. the boots and gloves look good though.

HOOLLLAAAA

This is why no one takes you seriously and trolls you.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

ZOODLES95 - I have considered mesh jackets before but when i hold them and actually try them on, i don't think they're any better than a regular sweater. aside from the armour. the boots and gloves look good though.

HOOLLLAAAA

No better than a sweater, ASIDE FROM THE ARMOUR. The armour is the whole point...that's why it's better than a sweater. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No better than a sweater, ASIDE FROM THE ARMOUR. The armour is the whole point...that's why it's better than a sweater. Lol

Actually you probably want abrasion resistance first and foremost, and armour secondary.... just sayin'

Actually you probably want abrasion resistance first and foremost, and armour secondary.... just sayin'

Agreed. Leather is better, I was only referring to the whole sweater is the same as mesh thing.

mmmmnaked is right i was referring to the abrasion resistance. armour will only protect your bones in the landing won't do **** for your skin when you're sliding so yeah a sweater is just as good as a mesh jacket aside from the armour of course.

HOOLLLAAAA

If you're riding with a sweater there's no initial impact. Those things emit a forcefield to save you from harm

Sent from my tablet using my paws

mmmmnaked is right i was referring to the abrasion resistance. armour will only protect your bones in the landing won't do **** for your skin when you're sliding so yeah a sweater is just as good as a mesh jacket aside from the armour of course.

HOOLLLAAAA

Except that some better quality mesh jackets either have sliders or Cordura in the areas more likely to slide. No comparison to a sweater at all. You can even upgrade the back protector to level 2 ce in some of them.

Leather is obviously a far better choice but mesh is a decent compromise is hot weather.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom