Alberta to allow turban-wearing Sikhs right to ride motorcycles without helmets | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alberta to allow turban-wearing Sikhs right to ride motorcycles without helmets

I can't really see why you are all stressed out over this. Most U.S. states don't have helmet laws for people over 18, and they don't have a problem. The veggie thing is way overstated for dramatic effect by pro-helmet authoritarians. If there is an added cost, just require added insurance. It's not rocket science.

Yes. Riding style for me is affected by gear.

On the track with the rules, gear and fact EMS is on site makes me more comfortable with the speeds I'm doing. Relying on other riders who are doing exact same thing and a bunch of other stuff also factors in

Street riding with minimum gear makes me ride more heads up, again other factors also weigh in.

No bucket slows me down even more and makes me hyper aware of other drivers etc.

The veggie thing is way overstated for dramatic effect by pro-helmet authoritarians.

I have a friend who works in the brain injury field. Most of her clients are people who suffered brain injuries in CAR ACCIDENTS, much less motorcycles. They vary from moderately high functioning to bedridden barely conscious vegetables.

It's not overstated, although that's a common argument of the "helmets are for wussies" crowd.

Be the envy of the Punjab and Alberta. Wear the new Sikh airbag helmet.... the coolest latest safety device.

images

on one of my trips we were heading to the east coast through the US
ended up behind a group of pirates heading through Vermont
as soon we crossed the border into NH
they pulled off to the welcome center, as we did as well to check maps
they removed the beanies that somehow qualify as a helmet
then they carried on

this behaviour baffles me

Sikh and yea shall find.....brain injury.

on one of my trips we were heading to the east coast through the US
ended up behind a group of pirates heading through Vermont
as soon we crossed the border into NH
they pulled off to the welcome center, as we did as well to check maps
they removed the beanies that somehow qualify as a helmet
then they carried on
this behaviour baffles me

Pirates indeed, although "homeless people" actually struck me first. Had a similar experience when I crossed into New Hampshire and was unaware of helmetless law and stunned by the number of pirates with helmets on top of their sissy bars; talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face! Then it became clear when I read the state motto on their plates, "Live Free or Die". But you might not die, idiot! Who is going to pay your medical expenses if you only end up a vegetable? Me, the taxpayer? The state?

This anti-helmet Sikh thing goes back over half a century ago (WWII and later) in Britain, when Sikhs sought helmet exclusions on motorbikes. This was what Winston Churchill had to say (although his comments were made at a time when you likely died from injuries, unlike today):

WINSTON CHURCHILL said:
...It is a matter of regret that due to the obsession of the present times people are distorting the superior religious and social values, but those who wish to preserve them with respect, we should appreciate them as well as help them. Sikhs do need our help for such a cause and we should give it happily. Those who know the Sikh history, know England's relationship with the Sikhs and are aware of the achievements of the Sikhs, they should persistently support the idea of relaxation to Sikhs to ride a motorbike with their turbans on, because it is their religious privilege."

Churchill, further added:

"...British people are highly indebted and obliged to for a long time. I know that within this century we needed their help twice and they did help us very well. As a result of their timely help, we are today able to live with honour, dignity, and independence. In the war, they fought and died for us, wearing the turbans. At that time we were not adamant that they should wear safety helmets because we knew that they are not going to wear them anyways and we would be deprived of their help. At that time due to our miserable and poor situation, we did not force it on them to wear safety helmets, why should we force it now? Rather, we should now respect their traditions and by granting this legitimate concession, win their applaud."

Re: Sikh and yea shall find.....brain injury.

^^ WC, prolly the most quotable person of the last century

yeah and I don't know what's up with NH
it's like a Jesusland state
in the middle of Liberal Central

I have a friend who works in the brain injury field. Most of her clients are people who suffered brain injuries in CAR ACCIDENTS, much less motorcycles. They vary from moderately high functioning to bedridden barely conscious vegetables.

It's not overstated, although that's a common argument of the "helmets are for wussies" crowd.

Your argument is unscientific. Anecdotal comparisons are not studies. Nobody is saying helmets aren't beneficial.

Your argument is unscientific. Anecdotal comparisons are not studies. Nobody is saying helmets aren't beneficial.

Then make with the actual scientific study links, dude. Cherry picked quotes from a National Post article don't count, just in case you were wondering.

To each their own I guess... why you wouldn't wear a helmet when riding is beyond me, especially from a safety perspective, but I'm cool with people making their own minds up about it.

Religion is a f**cking joke. I have heard that they now have kevlar turbans that are snell approved. The first layer had 3M VHB adhesive tape to ensure the towel is firmly mounted, followed by some fibreglass tape, and the final layers are kevlar. Trudeau "seeked" out these special materials when he took those retarded pictures with his family in India. Nice hair though......

Let's all be whatever we want to be and do whatever we want to do. It will work out great!

I can't tell if you're being facetious here or not, but THIS is the most true statement ever.

We are coddling ourselves so much so that the weakest members of our species have a chance to survive, thrive and reproduce, when the reality of our existence is that if we didn't have these luxuries most of us would be dead. We are weakening our own species!!

Let everyone do whatever they want. Let stupidity, laziness, procrastination and thoughtlessness be the cause of death more often, and we would solve a LOT of issues

I would like to hear the viewpoint of an actuary, the person who does the cost analysis of a helmet vs no helmet rider.

Dead is dead but veggie life is expensive. Vehicle insurance payouts won't be affected but could impact life insurance coverage or rates.

My life insurance doesn't cover me if I die in a plane crash when the flight isn't on a chartered airline. Could the life insurance industry impose similar restrictions for riding without a helmet or even just riding?

Vehicle insurance wants you to die and life insurance wants you to live, even if it's as a turnip.

Does the squid think he's invincible because he's wearing a $1000 lid?

Does a bare head ride more cautiously?

The actuary's job isn't simple. Helmet or not but define helmet. A stupid beanie would protect my bald spot but is still a helmet.

In states where helmets are optional what percent use them? What are the accident stats and injury stats?

I'm not sure how things work here but assume OHIP takes care of you until you're out of the hospital and then accident benefits from the insurers take over. The pablum and diaper crowd will need a lot of money. A million dollars won't go far.

In the USA the hospitals have to treat you until cured. The for profit ones consider you cured if they can get you to stand. Then they shove you into a cab with fare to get you to a charity drop in centre.

What would you do if your kid became a veggie? Write off your life to home care but what about after you die?

This is getting depressing.

All amazing questions - and the answer is (IMO) simple: ALL INSURANCES should be customized and tailored to each. individual. person.

Actuaries and insurance adjusters will continually work to analyze the risks of EVERYTHING, from smoking cigarettes, to working out, to having an active lifestyle, probabilities of death and dismemberment, and (of course) what YOUR liabilities and dependents are.

Wanna ride a motorcycle? pay more. Got a car? pay some for that. Oh, you have a gym membership? slight discount. Wear a helmet on your bike? No "helmet-less" surcharge.

This could all be more simple and effective than creating seemingly discriminatory laws OR making everyone pay individual insurance amounts for each vehicle they own, even though they can only drive one at a time. It also stops people from feeling like "if YOU take dumb risks, then somehow it'll cost ME more".

don't have an issue with them not wearing helmets, many states do it. rode once in hawaii without a lid, not for me. but to each their own, i'm not against someone having that choice.

my main gripe is the religious aspect, only sikhs with turbans allowed to not wear helmets. if they're going to allow it, let everyone do it.

as for the insurance part, if this becomes an issue, I can see insurance companies having clauses regarding helmet or un-helmeted riding.

...my main gripe is the religious aspect, only sikhs with turbans allowed to not wear helmets. if they're going to allow it, let everyone do it.

could buy one of those ready-made turbans and ride without a lid if someone really wants to. Religious beliefs are not officially recorded on a license, could always claim that you follow Sikhism.

Reminds me of our cafeteria in Unvesity. They always used to prepare halal meals for the muslim kids, and those used to taste delicious, much better than regular caf food anyway. We used to pretend to be muslim all the time, and feast up.

Last edited:
can you actually buy a ready made turban? i get the convenience , but its 6 metres of cloth and a lot of work every morning isn't it?

can you actually buy a ready made turban? i get the convenience , but its 6 metres of cloth and a lot of work every morning isn't it?
Yup, you can buy ready-made ones for sure. I've seen them somewhere. It is a lot of work to wrap one up yourself, I believe.

All amazing questions - and the answer is (IMO) simple: ALL INSURANCES should be customized and tailored to each. individual. person.

Actuaries and insurance adjusters will continually work to analyze the risks of EVERYTHING, from smoking cigarettes, to working out, to having an active lifestyle, probabilities of death and dismemberment, and (of course) what YOUR liabilities and dependents are.

Wanna ride a motorcycle? pay more. Got a car? pay some for that. Oh, you have a gym membership? slight discount. Wear a helmet on your bike? No "helmet-less" surcharge.

This could all be more simple and effective than creating seemingly discriminatory laws OR making everyone pay individual insurance amounts for each vehicle they own, even though they can only drive one at a time. It also stops people from feeling like "if YOU take dumb risks, then somehow it'll cost ME more".

Except insurance companies and underwriters are just as lazy as the rest of us human beings. That would take far too much work/effort. Better to just say everyone in this Postal code is a higher risk and charge accordingly

Back
Top Bottom